mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Are current highend markers as good as they're made out to be?

It seems that so many of todays "high ends" really haven't changed much from the older "high ends" of the mid 2000's. Why is it that every year I see a new ego, or geo for an outrageously high price and people buy them? Is there really any huge differences from a 05 ego and to today's ego that really justify spending so much more money? Reason I'm asking, I just sold my Fep Quest and I'm looking for a new marker.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
It seems that so many of todays "high ends" really haven't changed much from the older "high ends" of the mid 2000's. Why is it that every year I see a new ego, or geo for an outrageously high price and people buy them? Is there really any huge differences from a 05 ego and to today's ego that really justify spending so much more money? Reason I'm asking, I just sold my Fep Quest and I'm looking for a new marker.
because money

imo high ends were never what they cracked up to be. i imagine i'd be perfectly happy with an axe today.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
To a degree yes. Modern day electros are smoother, lighter, and more efficient then their older counter parts. They are also easier to find replacement parts from them because they are newer. A lot of the new electros come with OLED boards which makes it so much easier to use. Are they worth $1500? Not at all, an Axe can compete with them but aren't as nice. As you pay more money you get less bang for your buck but you'll get more gun. Hope that helps!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

I'm not a "flavor of the month" shooter. I did however recently acquire a 2011 G6R. I can only assume the newer G6Rs shoot just as good. It's a great gun, smooth, efficient, ergonomic and comfortable. Does this gun from 2011 shoot as good or better than the 2014 gear? No idea. I have shot a Vanquish, LV1, Geo 3, Luxe, Axe, V1 Victory and an Ego 11. I prefer the feel and price of the G6R. With that said, the LV1 is the best Ego I've ever shot. I'm horrible for the PB industry, as the only thing I buy new are masks.

Jay

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
Is there really any huge differences from a 05 ego and to today's ego that really justify spending so much more money?
-Short version, no.

Longer version; No, but with a few asterisks.

First off, we know that range (the distance a marker can fire a ball) is essentially identical for all markers. We limit the velocity to 300 fps or under, and the weight of the ball is limited to 3.2 grams and under. Given a fixed weight and a fixed velocity, range is of course also fixed.

Accuracy is, similarly, almost independent of the marker. Accuracy is primarily a condition of the "fit" of the ball to the bore, though it also depends on the consistency of the air burst from the marker. That, generally, has more to do with the air system/regulator than the gun itself, though.

For tournaments (and some fields with certain types of insurance policies) the ROF is generally capped, so what's that leave?

Basically it comes down to ergonomics. How it fits you, the owner/player.

Yes, people will argue that this gun gets more shots, or that one is "faster" (usually meaning it has a higher ROF) or this other one is lighter. And all of that is often true.

But really, in most cases, the difference between a "super efficient" marker and one that's "just okay", is maybe 200 shots per 68 ci 4500. And you can damn near make that big a change by experimenting with tighter bore or longer control bore barrels.

Yes, there are those that want an ultralight gun and to run the absolute smallest tank they can get away with, so an extra 100-200 shots per fill could be important. But if you're not that player, if your team isn't shooting to win a $50K purse, just how importand is that extra half-pound difference between a 68ci and an 90ci tank?

ROF is the big sticky point. Every new marker says it's faster than anything that came before- but again, how important is this? Can you, the player, even shoot that fast? There's actually very few players that can beat 12-14 bps- sustained- without a cheat mode of some kind anyway, so the only real difference is how fast the circuit board will let the gun fire.

And most tourney players have found out anyway that the only real difference between, say, 18 bps and 25 bps is that you run out of paint sooner.

So, generally speaking, the only real difference is ergonomics. Does it feel right to you? Is it comfortable to carry and shoot? Is it easy to aim, does it "point" well? That's all that really matters.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
To a degree yes. Modern day electros are smoother, lighter, and more efficient then their older counter parts.
-No offense, but that sounds like you're reading off some ad copy for a new marker.

"Smoother"? Smoother than what? How does one define "smoothness"? Less felt recoil? If that's the case, my '95 vintage Automag is perceptibly "smoother" than an Ego 10 I recently shot.

Lighter? Again, lighter than what? Is that G6R lighter than an Axe or Mini? Or did they actually mean it's lighter than a VM-68 or an X7 with a grenade launcher? Lighter than the previous version? By how much? Six grams? That's the weight of less than two paintballs.

More efficient? Again, more efficient than what? A Model 98 with a bad O-ring? The ads, oddly enough, don't say. More efficient than the previous model? Again, is another 50 shots per tank all that important?

Really, without a context, those are all buzzwords. You could write the same ad for any marker- if you simply don't specify just exactly what it's "lighter" or "faster" than.

Doc.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Now don't get me wrong- I love some of the new guns out there. Believe me- I've actually played with a VM-68. After that, everything is lighter, smoother and faster.

But I'm also not rich, and I tend to have a hard time trying to justify well over a thousand dollars for a paintball gun.

I'm not saying nobody should have one, or that it's wrong to charge that much, or anything like that. It's just that, generally speaking, unless you're a balls-to-the-wall tourney rat playing for money, the difference between a decent $400 marker and a $1,800 one is actually pretty damn miniscule considering the vast increase in cost.

Doc.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

of 40+ I have purchased 1 brand new marker in ~20 years. I don't think value wise it's ever "worth it". Kind of like buying a new car, it's cool but as soon as you drive it off the lot it takes a huge hit in resale. The new stuff might have a few cool bells and whistles, but it also might have some weird issue that you will have to deal with. Buying used you might have to deal with someone else's problems, but I have heard of people getting new guns that are "lemons" too. Getting practice with something that feels good to you and has the things you want will take you farther than just getting the newest thing out there.
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
A lot of the new electros come with OLED boards which makes it so much easier to use.
so... how much time would you say you spend looking at these TPS reports?

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

it depends on what you want? if you want something that has factory support and can be readily serviced anywhere? maybe.

just picked up a brand new Axe. the first thing that i felt is that it shoots just like a mag to me. classic, Emag, Xvalve automag. it shoots very nice, especially for the price. but, with buying the "flagship" guns, you get what comes with them. the latest features(though some aren't features in the sense of being better than the previous models), possible barrel kit, gun cases, etc and so forth.

so people want the newest, because its new and it should be better than the older guns. some people don't care, and why even bother with it? some people want to habitually change their gun(s) because they are never happy with it and are always changing what they are using. call that one the gun is always on the other side of the fence, syndrome. other people might want the prestige of owning something that cost 4 figures.

value is always perceived by the owner. other people don't share the same view.

now, a Vanquish is nothing but a built up SFT Shocker. but the board, the noid, the ergonomics and other little tweaks make it worth more. a G6R is nothing but the continuation of the stacked tube poppit that came all the way up from the B2K.

its just like why does anyone pay for a CCM, when you can pick up the same thing for $200 or so?

its all what you are willing to pay for. just like why do people need to have the latest cars, or latest TVs or other electronics? its because they can. its as simple as that.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone