mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 05-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Anyone still playing with just goggles?

I was changing the lens in one of my flexes while watching some of Sugarstumps old tournament videos and wondered if anyone still plays the game with just goggles and no face protection. I remember seeing a few oldschool guys do that to ref and play some woodsball but that was 10 years or so ago. I've reffed some low key woodsball games that way in the past and for JT splatmaster games but nothing serious. Just piqued my curiosity

FYI: USPS Flatrate IS the same price when shipping to Alaska...
Marbo40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
Pretty sure no field will let you

I saw a photographer with frames only and that's the closest. Like 4 years ago
shredxcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

At D-Day there was a guy who did from Australia a few years back, he had eye protection and that is it. I asked him about it and he said he is extremely claustrophobic and cannot wear a mask. He said had to sign a special waiver to play. Good for Dewayne to go the extra step to accommodate this player. With all the paint in the air at D-Day, I'm sure he took some nasty hits.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'm Stock Classy!

Back in the 80s all we had were Uvex goggle which were like glorified shop goggles. By the late 80s we had the green "Woodstalk" face mask that the Uvex goggles fit over - basically just frontal face protection. There was no ear protection, which sucked when I took a shot directly in my right ear. That shot dropped me quicker than the shots I've taken to the groin. Couldn't hear for at least a couple of hours afterward.

I always hated masks because they trap in body heat and moisture which increases fogging. So when JT goggles came out I thought it would be a smart idea to cut the bottom half of the face plate off (just below the nose) so my breath wouldn't increase fogging. Within minutes of the very game I wore the mask I was shot right in the middle of my upper lip. Split it right in half.

These days I'm older and somewhat wiser. Playing without a mask? It's just not worth the risk of serious injury.

Authorized CCI Dealer Specializing in Phantom Repairs and Custom Work
Serving the Greater Fairfield and New Haven County Area of CT Exclusively

Buy my BadAss Stock-Class T-Shirts

My CCI, RTR, Carter, Flasc and TechT Stock-Class Parts Purge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim
There's playing paintball with a stock-class gun, and then there's playing stock-class paintball. Big difference.
My MCB Feedback
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

It's not so much of a field thing, but rather a field insurance thing.

Facemasks (i.e. the JT Whipper Snapper) became required after the advent of Semi-Auto when several individuals had close calls with serious eye injury. The situation would go something like this:

First paintball hits the under or top side of the lens frame, slightly pulling that edge away from the face. Each successive shot lifts it further until the point of one ball actually being able to push through the foam.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

My local FPO owner ref's with just goggles on. The outer refs use golf carts to get around while the center guy is in the ref tower. It's pretty normal to see him sitting in his cart following the game. I think it has more to do with him wanting to smoke his pipe.

I have seen parents opt for the goggle over the full mast to watch for a little while.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Team Lockdown

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
not for a long time...back in the day we used uvex goggles with maybe
a bandanna over the lower face to keep paint out of our mouths. As long as everyone was using Splatmasters, Nelspots & PGPs it wasnt really an issue...but once the woodstalk masks came out we all hopped on that bandwagon pretty fast.
Getting shot in the teeth sucks. Hard.

the stuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Been years and years (late 80's.) Like others said it wasnt bad when everyone was using Splatmasters, Nelspots and PGP's. But that still didn't make it safe, one guy I was playing against did a rush towards me and dived, as he dived I shot, his glasses lifted as he fell and I took him in the eye area. Scared the crap out of me and even more for him. He didnt play the rest of the day, his eye swelled up and was red but he insisted he was ok. Worse shot I ever took pre-mask days was a shot to the tip of my nose, made me cry like a little baby and looked like Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer for a week.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I for one am happy those days are gone. The only outdoor field we had back in 91 still had goggles for renters (before I owned). I took a shot from a PGP right in the temple from about 20 feet. I went down like a baby...couldn't hear right for the rest of the day either.
B1gRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnif View Post
At D-Day there was a guy who did from Australia a few years back, he had eye protection and that is it. I asked him about it and he said he is extremely claustrophobic and cannot wear a mask. He said had to sign a special waiver to play. Good for Dewayne to go the extra step to accommodate this player. With all the paint in the air at D-Day, I'm sure he took some nasty hits.
good on him......it might have been bull but i have always said we are big boys and girls if you are happy to sign your rights away then go for it, i used gogs (and many of the Aussy fields i have seen still did up till the 90's) then the first game i went to after a few years off...bang everyone needed gogs and face protection, even though the field we played on was using a "home made" goggle system that was far less safe than just gogs alone, with the milsim/ram club i was part of we only wore gogs (and the small v2s as well) some places still alow it...not many

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone