mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Help planning a big game

Hey y'all. As some of you may know, I manage a paintball field in Ontario, Canada. I have been tasked with planning and running a big game in early/mid August. I have never planned a big game and I've only been to one big game. So I'm asking my fellow forum members for what they like to see in a big game. Here is what the field looks like.

Some older photos, things look way better now
SPLATTERVILLE

Village: 3 row of 8 buildings, each building is 8x8 and has windows. Some bunkers scatter in the roads. A large 'townhall' (2 story's, 40 feet wide) and a 'church' (3 story's, 30 feet wide) are at opposite ends of the village. (175' long and 100' wide)

Greenhawk down: Built to look like a crashed helicopter inside a war torn village. We have scattered buildings and sandbags with a 50 foot long helicopter in the middle that is playable (150' wide and 240' long)

This is a work in progress picture, just to show what we can do.

Pallet Town: a large speedball inspired field made of pallets. (150' wide and 250' long

Jeep field: medium thick woods with bunkers everywhere (150' by 150')

Forest field: slightly cleared forest, can be as big as I want.

So that is what I'm working with. I need a morning and afternoon game style that is fun for vets but that renters can play in. Separate scoring for morning and afternoon would be ideal. Expecting between 150 and 200 players.

I'm thinking of having one team start in the village and one in Pallet Town and having a flag in each field they need to control for points with random missions through out the day to keep the points even. But I'm open to anything.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
FYI August is a bad month for a big game. PRZ is holding Two asylum games, tactik has one as well and commando might as well?
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
FYI August is a bad month for a big game. PRZ is holding Two asylum games, tactik has one as well and commando might as well?
I don't have a choice. It's Karters 35th Anniversary/customer appreciation day on August 10th, so I have to run something that day.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
aka FairLady

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Less is more.

In short, these have been my complaints for big games lately:

(1)Garbage paint - this is obvious. dont do it. the endless bounces will annoy the **** out of experienced players. all big games ive played this year have had terrible paint.

(2)no "insertion" times - i played one big game and the insertions did not work. they take alot of effort to organize and frankly imo are worse than just having a respawn point. many players were just respawning instead of waiting for the next insertion.

(3)chronograph people more than once - people crank up velocity would like to see refs running constant or at least periodic velocity checks.

(4)have set start/end times as well as a period for lunch. these times should be hard and fast. if they aren't you will fall behind. In my experience it is best to have no lunch period all together. If people are hungry, they can sit out for a while to refuel. last big game i went to lunch ended up being 2 hours long.

(5)avoid medics - medics seem to lead to people accusing others of cheating/unnecessary frustration

(6)Missions - keep them simple. flag stations. seems like the actual "hold point a" or "capture target" just always get thrown by the wayside. it will be a pain to organize and wont get you much. PRZ actually had these great flag poles that i thought worked really well. identifying flag stations to as many players as possible will also increase their participation.

(7)balanced teams - seems like too often where the teams are just way off. Getting destroyed isnt much fun. Dominating another team is also not that much fun.

(8)have some kind of plan in the event of spawn camping. It happens, so be prepared. Spawn camping really takes the fun out of a big game. The referree imposed "airstrike" has become kind of lame, would like to see something different

Last edited by 300z; 06-25-2014 at 09:00 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Some additional comments below. Don't forget a decent ref staff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300z View Post
Less is more.

(2)no "insertion" times - i played one big game and the insertions did not work. they take alot of effort to organize and frankly imo are worse than just having a respawn point. many players were just respawning instead of waiting for the next insertion.

If you have insertion windows, insertion "hospitals" should have a clock and a ref. This ref is often bored, but serves as a rear zone ref, spot chrono ref, and hot insertion ref.

(3)chronograph people more than once - people crank up velocity would like to see refs running constant or at least periodic velocity checks.

This means several pocket chronos, but you use those and the refs to chrono and punch cards before the game too.

(7)balanced teams - seems like too often where the teams are just way off. Getting destroyed isnt much fun. Dominating another team is also not that much fun.

Some teams are good with waiting until the last minute to get a side assignment. Walk-ons can be pushed to either side.

(8)have some kind of plan in the event of spawn camping. It happens, so be prepared. Spawn camping really takes the fun out of a big game. The referree imposed "airstrike" has become kind of lame, would like to see something different

With insertion refs and times on a long field, it is not usually a problem to shoot the opposition off of your hospital or base when you can re-insert in a time window, but they have to take a long walk. Refs have to watch this situation anyway. Some players need to be shown how to attack and respawn, but they pick it up pretty quick.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

FOOD.

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

My #1 biggest complaint against scenario games lately has been promoters designing overly-complex games and then not being able to make decisions on the fly and scale them back when turnout isn't big enough to justify a Dollack-style game format.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
My #1 biggest complaint against scenario games lately has been promoters designing overly-complex games and then not being able to make decisions on the fly and scale them back when turnout isn't big enough to justify a Dollack-style game format.
just like he said. you should have back up plan if things go as plan wrong or it get lopsided.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly Floundah

CCM Fan
Im a fan of basic 5 flag games. Possession of each flag is taken on the hour and points are rewarded. I find when things get too complicated, people lose interest and just kill each other. Run extra props to have bonus points for either side.

To add to the above post, make a mission board for both teams and set them in the staging area. That way if there is ever any confusion about a mission, its all spelled out right in front of you.

Also, screw a lunch break, it always runs an hour too long
MEDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'd also say the fewer breaks, the better.

For side missions, you can hide props around the field in advance. They are either worth points or are used to unlock special abilities (special insertions, air strikes, etc). If you have some giveaways you can hide them about as well. It gives players an excuse to explore your field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone