mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

One thing that interests me about the dating of the original- were remote lines a purely hypothetical piece of equipment at the time it was drawn?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

How cool would it be to have the original piece framed on display somewhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
The only real error I made was I assumed the first timer and expert were duplicates- in these days of Photoshop cut-and-paste, a perfectly natural assumption. But the original cartoon predates Photoshop by a number of years, and had I looked closer, I'd have noted that Fred just drew a duplicate- very close, but not exact.
That's crazy, I thought they were too, I had to go through the original pic piece by piece to notice the differences hahaha. Good eye!
Redbeard the Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
One thing that interests me about the dating of the original- were remote lines a purely hypothetical piece of equipment at the time it was drawn?
-That's actually a pretty good question.

Of course, we're only assuming the original was drawn in '83, from Durty Dan's description. The "Capture the Flag" postcards probably date to no earlier than '86, given the Sniper and Ranger with a pump changer. And I'd bet money the C-the-F cards came later than the original "combat manual" image- "combat" and "enemy" were more prevalent in the early days, whereas even by '86 and '87, people were trying to tone down the "war game" terms and phrases, to make the game a little more family friendly.

In other words, it's more likely- to me anyway- that somebody would switch "know your enemy" to "know your competition", rather than the other way around. Again, guesswork, but educated guesswork.

That said, when did the first remote hose come around? Good question. I have a copy of an article about paintball from a 1987 American Handgunner magazine, and while no remote hoses are shown, one guy has "California Constant Air" setups on some modified Sheridans- 10 ounce Thermo-valved tanks with hoses leading up to the gun.

So bigger tanks and hoses weren't unknown, at least.

However, the famous glossy-covered 1990 I&I Sports catalog, shows no mention whatsoever about remote hoses, pouches for remote tanks, or remote fittings.

On the third hand, "Sgt. Splatter" had been printed at least as far back as the first few issues of APG, (circa '87/early '88) if not even earlier in other publications, and Splatter always had his Auto-Lotta-Balls, with the remote backpack mounted ball-feeder and SCUBA-sized tank.

Personally, I suspect that while remote hoses had been occasionally tried and used even from the earliest days, they really didn't start catching on 'til the advent of semiautos, around 1991.

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nerd

Can I just say that threads like this are one of the many reasons I love MCB? I have nothing constructive to contribute.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, etc. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
I swear, if we do a modern version, the 'expert' needs to be the 'newbie' only with more grey hair, a few extra pounds, and a Hawaiian shirt. Same marker, though.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
I swear, if we do a modern version, the 'expert' needs to be the 'newbie' only with more grey hair, a few extra pounds, and a Hawaiian shirt. Same marker, though.
You can find that in a signature or two here.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I believe I cleaned up a version of it years ago also... Looking.... Yup:

I know I did this one because of my little "mcb" easter egg under the experienced guy's gun.
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Earlier I linked to a copy on Durty Dan's website:

I took the text at the bottom as Dan saying he redrew it- and it's in Dan's style.

However, I could see how the text could instead read as "here's one somebody redid from my 1983 original", implying Dan himself drew the original.

Apart from the "MCB" and the one reversed guy, they're identical. So who drew it?

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
On the third hand, "Sgt. Splatter" had been printed at least as far back as the first few issues of APG, (circa '87/early '88) if not even earlier in other publications, and Splatter always had his Auto-Lotta-Balls, with the remote backpack mounted ball-feeder and SCUBA-sized tank.

Personally, I suspect that while remote hoses had been occasionally tried and used even from the earliest days, they really didn't start catching on 'til the advent of semiautos, around 1991.

Doc.
After looking at Sgt. Splatter at the time and considering his rig, we had two problems duplicating it. The selection of CO2 bottles at the time was very thin. 2" diameter tanks were the only commonly available tanks, besides the 20 lb beverage cylinders (which was a consideration). Second, 100 round pods were the "big size". Not only were all of those paintballs expensive, but the rigs to carry 1200 rounds (a case) around were pretty silly looking. Also, pushing 2 or 3 pounds of CO2 through one marker in a hurry always chills things down. Not that illustrators were all that consistent. We did try...

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone