mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to afultz075

Need some advice regarding a PPS repair

I sent my brand new Blazer I got from the sale back in June into PPS last month because one of the air passage set screws was leaking. When I got it back earlier this week the bolt would not move in the bolt tube. After wrestling the bolt out of the gun to make sure no debris were causing it to be held up, I found that the bolt tube had become slightly impacted, from what I hope was during shipping and not at PPS (the box showed no damage at all though). The bolt (as well as my other Blazer's bolt) was now impossible to get back into the gun.
I immediately called PPS and Craig said to send it in and it would either be replaced by insurance or repaired by either driving a stainless rod down the bore or honing it until the bolt fits again. He said he'd sooner just fix it than replace it. Off to PPS it goes.....

Now, the more and more I think about it, the more I dislike any option other than replacing it. I can totally see either of the repair options making the bolt bore look like crap afterwords. Which would really bother me seeing as I only used this gun once until I figured out it had a leak and it is still brand new. If this was a 6-7 year old Blazer I probably wouldn't care as much. Not only would any wear or nasty bare aluminum in the bolt bore bug the heck out of me, it would murder it's resale value should I ever decide to sell/trade it. It just bugs me that the option to replace it under insurance is there and might not be utilized most likely leaving me ultimately unhappy with the end result and experiencing a significant loss down the road should I decide to sell/trade it. Would it be unreasonable of me to ask them to just replace it and skip the repair options?
-Andrew
afultz075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to respiegel Send a message via Yahoo to respiegel

i don't think its unreasonable of you to ask to have a new gun, when you got a new gun that was leaking, and then got damaged. tell them you don't want to have them mangle your gun if they have the option to replace it.
you paid for a new gun, you should still have a new gun after they fix a problem they shipped to you.
respiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by afultz075 View Post
I sent my brand new Blazer I got from the sale back in June into PPS last month because one of the air passage set screws was leaking. When I got it back earlier this week the bolt would not move in the bolt tube. After wrestling the bolt out of the gun to make sure no debris were causing it to be held up, I found that the bolt tube had become slightly impacted, from what I hope was during shipping and not at PPS (the box showed no damage at all though). The bolt (as well as my other Blazer's bolt) was now impossible to get back into the gun.
I immediately called PPS and Craig said to send it in and it would either be replaced by insurance or repaired by either driving a stainless rod down the bore or honing it until the bolt fits again. He said he'd sooner just fix it than replace it. Off to PPS it goes.....

Now, the more and more I think about it, the more I dislike any option other than replacing it. I can totally see either of the repair options making the bolt bore look like crap afterwords. Which would really bother me seeing as I only used this gun once until I figured out it had a leak and it is still brand new. If this was a 6-7 year old Blazer I probably wouldn't care as much. Not only would any wear or nasty bare aluminum in the bolt bore bug the heck out of me, it would murder it's resale value should I ever decide to sell/trade it. It just bugs me that the option to replace it under insurance is there and might not be utilized most likely leaving me ultimately unhappy with the end result and experiencing a significant loss down the road should I decide to sell/trade it. Would it be unreasonable of me to ask them to just replace it and skip the repair options?
-Andrew
Nearly every warranty I've ever taken the time to read has a claus stating that, in the event of damage, the product/part/etc would be "repaired or replaced at the discretion of the manufacturer". If PPS determines that it is fixable (as in, it can be repaired to "as new" condition - including the condition of the bolt tube), then that is their perogative. If you get it back from said repair and find that the repair is obvious (as in, the marker is not in the same cosmetic condition it was prior to sending it to them the first time), then I think you have a basis for requesting a replacement.

Granted, I understand Craig's position. If they replace it, then they still have the damaged body to deal with, either to repair or scrap. I'd really like to think that they'd scrap it or do something else that didn't involve re-selling it to another customer (like, saw it in half for cutaway display purposes), but ultimately, it's their choice.

Personally, I don't really think too much about resale value. Maybe I should. If I were in this situation, I'd probably just have them do whatever was needed to make it fully operational again. But that's just me.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to sgt-spam

Who's insurance would be replacing the gun? The courier's? If that's the case, I would expect you (or PPS) to have to file a claim, etc., to get reimbursed. That courier's policy may be that they pay for a repair before they pay for a replacement. You may have a hard time with the claim if the packaging wasn't damaged.

I'd be surprised if PPS would front a new gun to you without the claim being settled. Unless, of course, the damage happened at the shop.

I don't think it's unreasonable that you ask, and I probably would too.
sgt-spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Did it become loose in the shipping box? Is fo shipping likely did it and I would go for an insurance claim.

Seems like it would add character to have a 'BFH' repair on the inside. I'd love one like Blazer 1, all plain unpolished alumn......

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
I can totally see either of the repair options making the bolt bore look like crap afterwords.
Quote:
mangle your gun
You guys must be dealing with a different PPS than I have ever done business with...

Why don't you contact Craig and voice your concerns, and ask him to contact you once he has had a chance to examine the gun.

Walker

Nelson Owner's Group
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt-spam View Post
Who's insurance would be replacing the gun? The courier's? If that's the case, I would expect you (or PPS) to have to file a claim, etc., to get reimbursed. That courier's policy may be that they pay for a repair before they pay for a replacement. You may have a hard time with the claim if the packaging wasn't damaged.

I'd be surprised if PPS would front a new gun to you without the claim being settled. Unless, of course, the damage happened at the shop.

I don't think it's unreasonable that you ask, and I probably would too.
From what Craig told me over the phone they use third party insurance, not through the carrier.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
Did it become loose in the shipping box? Is fo shipping likely did it and I would go for an insurance claim.
The way it was packed was a layer of egg crate foam on bottom and top and plenty of bubble wrap surrounding the gun. I don't really see how the tube could become deformed and the box remain in good condition. I'd imiagine it would take several hundred pounds of force to mess with the integrity of the tube.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
I think - if you let him repair it - it will look awesome - or he will replace it.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
I think - if you let him repair it - it will look awesome - or he will replace it.

TF
Agreed... if it's repaired it should be a "Factory Quality" repair which will be just as fine as a replacement. If it's not... I can't imagine they'd ship back out something that wasn't up to snuff in quality and cosmetics.

PPS will do you right. They really don't want you unhappy and explaining why to everyone online do they? Bad for business.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone