mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits798 View Post
says it makes your barrel 2inches or 25mm longer? typo i guess?
More like the average American sucks with metric.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mod Fodder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Oh, this rot again. In engineering, inches are decimalised, while millimeters are never converted to centimeters or micrometers or anything other than perhaps microns, though always written .001, utterly negating the benefits of SI

Quote:
When I ran, I didn't feel like a runaway
When I escaped, I didn't feel like I'd got away
There's more to living than only surviving
Maybe I'm not there, but I'm still trying
Little spoon

Last edited by Axel; 07-02-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Oh, this rot again. In engineering, inches are decimalised, while millimeters are never converted to centimeters or micrometers or anything other than perhaps microns, though always written .001, utterly negating the benefits of SI
Understand, my statement was not a political message, an argument about which is superior (both have advantage and disadvantage), an insult, or anything of the sort. It is quite simply a statement of fact. The average American knows **** all about the metric system, and for the most part, they don't need to. Many (most?) will likely never encounter it in their daily life.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mod Fodder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
Oh, I'm just oversensitive from the Tyson/Nye/Sagan sycophants of Facebook who barely passed high school chemistry

Quote:
When I ran, I didn't feel like a runaway
When I escaped, I didn't feel like I'd got away
There's more to living than only surviving
Maybe I'm not there, but I'm still trying
Little spoon
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

The really sad thing is, they didn't even need to know metric, just use Google. Serious, all they had to do is type "2 inches to millimeters" (even "2 in to mm" works) into Google. You can even use it to convert to unusual units that no one actually use. For example, 2 inches is 0.0298507 smoot.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I really don't see the benefit of the XL inserts. Standard inserts work so well with a wide variety of barrels. Not once have I ever thought "Hey, I wish these inserts were longer". It just comes across as a cash grab that benefits nobody except GOG.
It's pretty minimal. PE and Punkwork's testing seemed to indicate that a longer control bore was a bit more efficient. Most of the testers for the 8" inserts are reporting a 4 - 6 fps gain over the 5".
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by spece108 View Post
Most of the testers for the 8" inserts are reporting a 4 - 6 fps gain over the 5".
*Citation needed

The tests I've seen online have actually shown no noticeable difference whatsoever. Even so, 4-6 FPS isn't really worth it anyway. That pretty much amounts to a hair's turn on a velocity adjuster. In the grand scheme of things, it's still not worth getting stuck buying a new barrel or not being able to use your inserts with other barrels. The standard inserts have been in use and working well for nearly twenty years now. I really don't see the benefit.
My Feedback Thread
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

You are correct that there is probably marginal if any benefit, but paintball equipment in all categories has improved marginally over time. There is always a market for the latest and greatest kit. I don't think anyone will be throwing their existing barrel kits out to go and buy a new one that is almost the same.

That being said, I am a believer in the longer control bore.
During an xball match my gun was chronographed every time I walked on to the field. If you aren't familiar with xball, "points" are separated only by 2 minute intermissions.

Shots over the chrono before the first point are between 290and 300 fps. Perfect.

During the first point I noticed 1 or 2 barrel breaks. Punkworks experiments aside I decided to play it safe and switch from my. 680 Shift insert (on my clone GTi) to a .685. Insert is stuck. Crap, run over to gear bag and pull out .684 V3 lurker barrel.

Chrono for the. next point, several shots over 310fps and I have to turn my gun down.

It is counterintuitive that a looser bore size produced a higher velocity, but with only 5-10 minutes passing between changes anf touching nothing else on the gun I don't know what else to attribute it to. The macdev. inserts are only 6in or so, the v3 lurker back is 8.5 or 9.
uglyduckling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
"Not you brother"

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduckling View Post

It is counterintuitive that a looser bore size produced a higher velocity, but with only 5-10 minutes passing between changes anf touching nothing else on the gun I don't know what else to attribute it to. The macdev. inserts are only 6in or so, the v3 lurker back is 8.5 or 9.
If your underbore was so much that you were breaking paint in the barrel, going to a larger bore could very easily result in an increased velocity due to the reduced drag on the ball in the barrel. Sounds like you moved to a good bore match. I imagine if you had gone to .690 next you would see a bot of a drop off in velocity.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
*Citation needed
I wouldn't bother. All I've found is hearsay on forums. Chatter means little. I'd like to see hard data. But nothing is pulling me to switch so far.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone