mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-03-2017, 06:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

That data used to exist, but it was over on TechPB. Nothing is really there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
If your underbore was so much that you were breaking paint in the barrel, going to a larger bore could very easily result in an increased velocity due to the reduced drag on the ball in the barrel. Sounds like you moved to a good bore match. I imagine if you had gone to .690 next you would see a bot of a drop off in velocity.
.680 was a loose-ish match (blow through test took little effort, with some almost rolling out), .684 was a comfortable overbore. Shooting redemption pro which was quite brittle.
uglyduckling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Mod Fodder

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
I'm willing to bet that the extra 2-3/4" or whatever it is on the XL kit, if it does produce any measurable performance difference, is not worth the $$$ for a set of inserts

Especially--and sorry to be a broken record on this but not really--when that money is going to Billy and Adam

Quote:
When I ran, I didn't feel like a runaway
When I escaped, I didn't feel like I'd got away
There's more to living than only surviving
Maybe I'm not there, but I'm still trying
Little spoon
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rec Poster

ive seen a billion PB products that only provide a small benefit. thats way better than the ones that provide none, or may hinder performance, lol.

i think they are just moving with the industry trend towards a longer control bore.

I also think (but cant prove with scientific data) that some pb markers may prefer a shorter or longer control bore, so choice is always good too.
chodeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Especially--and sorry to be a broken record on this but not really--when that money is going to Billy and Adam
Ha well yeah, no apologies necessay. I agree with you there
uglyduckling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #26 (permalink)
is reloading

If one played at the highest levels of paintball, where a few fps, bps, and efficiency actually mattered, I can see a possible reason to switch or add to a barrel collection. But most of us don't play at that level. so who cares?? If longer control bore matters so much just by 2-3 one piece CP barrels in the most popular sizes. I have been told their bore is the same for the whole length of the barrel and their barrels don't cost a lot.

palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

J&J are uniformed size as well. Not tapered.

Denny Tippmann said back in the day they did testing and found that if you put talcum powder inside a barrel and fire one paintball through it, the only place it touches the barrel is the first 1/2 inch. It then squeezes the ball and has air around it until it exits the barrel. If the paint isn't round, it will bounce off the barrel here and there.

But, the first 1/2 an inch is all that matters. Which is why so many barrels are tapered. Smallest at the breech and then get bigger.

I've run some pretty short barrels (my current is typically 10 inches). And I don't see any benefit longer barrels. Unless it is for looks.

A longer freak insert is just silly.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pancake

CCM Fan
I hope deadly wind does a fiburx barrel extension for these
If one is going to be an ambassador to the sport do your best to try to convey to new players what the sport is about and attempt to convey the same message to the players that are being abusive.
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I really don't see the benefit of the XL inserts. Standard inserts work so well with a wide variety of barrels. Not once have I ever thought "Hey, I wish these inserts were longer". It just comes across as a cash grab that benefits nobody except GOG.
There is a slight gain from a longer control bore. However in practical applications, it's pretty negligible.
PBN-B-DEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #30 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
I've run some pretty short barrels (my current is typically 10 inches). And I don't see any benefit longer barrels. Unless it is for looks.

A longer freak insert is just silly.
I ran short barrels for hard cover fields for a bunch of years. No accuracy difference, hyperball, plywood, woods, lovely. 10" Rekka, 9.5" turned down Jacko, 6" Palmer brass were my favs for my old Angel. But air ball definitely changed that. I run a longer marker and longer barrels. Leverage and playing into the bunkers to get tighter gives an advantage. The playing style changed. Had to learn new skills, arg.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone