mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Paroxysm

They are entertaining, but they are annoying, especially when you have pistol players suddenly appear in front of you with one and you shoot and hit their shield when you otherwise would have eliminated them.

I play magfed only now, and they are used a lot, but only pistols (and melee) are allowed normally. It's OK as long as your team has shields as well... but it can still be annoying. I do believe they should be deliberately heavy though.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
After having read through all that, I find myself a bit confused. There is no mention, and no rebuttal of the "breaks on your equipment" comment made after the OP...but it certainly could have been touched on.

Are we saying, this person brought a shield to open play, and that by shooting the shield you are, or are not, eliminating the player?

Further, what kind of (marker) is this player allowed to have for return play, melee or ranged?

Where I typically play, this would have been brought to group vote pre game.

The player used the shield as essentially a portable bunker, not as an extension of his equipment, so any breaks were not considered an elimination. I did hear another player mention the whole "breaks on your equipment" angle but he didn't feel that applied to the situation.

Ultimately my thread was started because I wanted to see if I was out of line with my expectations of what a field should or should not allow during regular gameplay.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

Last edited by Jordan; 10-05-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

My local field restricts the size of shields to no larger than 2'x3' so guys typically are forced to use a bunker or something to help maintain full cover and when they step out their legs are often exposed, I've occasionally seen guys group up form a phalanx to move up witch is always cool to see. This guy at your field tho using a portable wall size shield is way to big I feel like hes trying to compensate for something. once a buddy at my local field picked up a sheet of plywood that was on the field for some new buildings the owner was working on and used it to push up but the thing was heavy, awkward and was in no means very portable. I made a 2'x3' plexi shield I used to use at the occasional game but found it to be cumbersome and I can move around better without it, that being said I have gotten some good eliminations using a shield.

As a negative for shields, I was at one big game and a random guy was lighting me up while I had the shield and he was only about 20' away from me but clearly not a fan of my shield and at the time and I had no cover besides the shield. He started by shooting my legs and despite calling myself out shouting loudly "OUT!" if I lowered the shield and raised my marker he would just aim up from my legs and light up my torso/head forcing me to raise the shied to avoid the incoming barrage of paint so I would repeatedly shout "OUT!" while attempting to raise my marker and lower the shield but this guy would not let up so after the 3rd or 4th attempt to call myself out and walk off I got fed up with him and just held my shield up and walked at the guy unloading my hopper on him, by far not my proudest moment at the field and it was the last time I ever brought my shield to a game as I realized it can cause a lot of stupid unnecessary issues and it was not worth the extra but hurt. Its also a reason I'm not the biggest fan of big games as they tend to draw out so many randoms players who want to play by their own rules and throw sportsmanship out the window, I definitely see the most drama at big games. I personally view the shield as an extra tool like first strikes they can add a different element to the game and force a player to think differently but for me shields are not worth the extra drama they attract cuz at the end of the day I just want to have fun and I can still have lots of fun without using a shield.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #44 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
One park where I was using First Strikes (before the insurance debacle) had a very different 'walk on' / recball format. You show up, you get your safety briefing like most places but, you learn several key things- All firing modes are permitted (their main rentals were a-5s with RTs), point blank firing is permitted (with guidance on how to avoid it), paintball 'artillery' (fired by the staff) may be incoming, paintball grenades are a thing, and every game includes re-spawns (with different timers according to the field and map). They then walk you to the first field and, they tell you that the only way for the attackers to win is to cross a wooden bridge retrieve a flag (and come back with it), that the defenders cannot cross the very shallow ravine (using ravine loosely, just more like a natural ditch), and the respawn timers are 2min for the attackers and four minutes for the defenders. This was their standard format. This almost couldn't be more different than the average 'recball' experience as most folks define it on here. The field didn't even have a name for this kind of game- they just marketed themselves as providing an exciting, 'experience'.
I have played at this field. It was an interesting day.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
That was one issue - it was made from netting, so there were no hardspots to break paint on and inconvenience him in any way.

The frustrating part was taking him on one-on-one - you could try to ambush him but he'd turtle up if you missed and then shoot around the edge of the shield. With him able to see you and turn the edge of a bunker into a spot that he could defend on two angles, it was tough to play against. There were a lot of new players on the field getting frustrated about it, especially when he'd march up on someone in a bunker and mercy them - you could see him coming and do nothing about it.
Yeah, that's just being a dick, and should have been the moment the refs took his toy away at very least.

Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
The frustrating part was taking him on one-on-one - you could try to ambush him but he'd turtle up if you missed and then shoot around the edge of the shield. With him able to see you and turn the edge of a bunker into a spot that he could defend on two angles, it was tough to play against. There were a lot of new players on the field getting frustrated about it, especially when he'd march up on someone in a bunker and mercy them - you could see him coming and do nothing about it.
in a situation like this let him think hes invincible and have a guy on your team move up and take a bunker but have him sit there quietly so people forget about him then bait buddy with the shield past your quiet teammate that everyone forgot about and once the shield guy moves past him he can take his back, set up an ambush and watch the shield guy scramble when he is taking it from both ends at the same time.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone