mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottallen1986 View Post
I'm very active in another hobby, independent of paintball, and the main forum that used to have all of the traffic, is just dead. Almost nothing. Everyone is on FB now and all I ever see are the same questions asked over and over on the FB groups because it's just so poorly designed (purposefully) to make searching for info easy/possible/effective. They WANT people asking the same things over and over so as to generate traffic. It's a shame. I hope we can get an app of some kind like this for paintball or at least some kind of forum app that can get adopted by the community as a whole. We're a less educated populace I feel with the loss of forum traffic.
That is the main issue with the social media. It's just meant for the here and now, not the future, not the past. Not to keep technical information, etc. Just chit chat. What I did today.

Of course the problem with social media now is not only is there no real long term discussion, but it's more of a look at me thing. I'll post a picture, you comment, and we move on. That's not interaction. Forums take actual thinking, writing, posting. No one's got time for that...

Also with social media, it is being stretched thin. Lot of groups in lots of different areas in lots of different companies, google, snapchat, Facebook, flickr, instagram, reddit.... They all have paintball sections. Post your picture and get internet likes to make you feel good about yourself or something.

Of course the kids are not migrating to Facebook. My daughter is going to be 14 now and she and her friends want nothing to do with it. So I'm a little unsure about facebook's longevity. Also people are leaving and/or posting less over there. I left that place years ago (before they had specific sections and forsale areas) as it just wasn't for me.

Facebook forces you to post to get noticed. I did a scientific experiment on it before i left. I stopped posting for two months. Honestly no one noticed. I deleted people - hundreds... Only 1 or two people actually noticed. That's when I realized that people just don't really care. They do. But not really. They only care if and when you post. I guess it's designed that way to force you to post and get noticed.

So I left it. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out, but then I go outside.

As for the app, I think that's a great idea. For motorcycles they have a not well designed but popular app called ESR (Eat, Sleep, Ride). It's both useful and a community.

There is still hope for forums, but it takes effort. We've broken our online lives into 8 seconds of video or a photo... Maybe a sentence of text. Folks don't want to be bothered going to more than one site due to being lazy? Convenience? Or is it that same?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Folks don't want to be bothered going to more than one site due to being lazy? Convenience? Or is it that same?
The honest answer is that people these days simply don't have the attention span anymore. This is a direct result of having instant information, instant gratification at our fingertips 24/7. If people don't get what they want within just a few seconds, they move on. It's not just forums that are showing the signs of this either. Take popular music for example; the hook is always sooner in the song than it was before. Otherwise, people tap to skip the song and move on to the next piece of crap song people like these days (which sounds just like all the other songs). Conversations online these days consist of 140 characters or less. Interacting with friends and family consists of clicking "like" or maybe leaving a smiley face. Everything is easy, takes no thought, requires little action and is completely reactionary. It's like people pick up a smartphone and check their brain at the door. Human interaction is no longer an effort - it's a reflex. Look, tap, move on. We're screwed as a species.
My Feedback Thread
JonM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

I think it's watered down and no one is actually playing.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The honest answer is that people these days simply don't have the attention span anymore. This is a direct result of having instant information, instant gratification at our fingertips 24/7. If people don't get what they want within just a few seconds, they move on. It's not just forums that are showing the signs of this either. Take popular music for example; the hook is always sooner in the song than it was before. Otherwise, people tap to skip the song and move on to the next piece of crap song people like these days (which sounds just like all the other songs). Conversations online these days consist of 140 characters or less. Interacting with friends and family consists of clicking "like" or maybe leaving a smiley face. Everything is easy, takes no thought, requires little action and is completely reactionary. It's like people pick up a smartphone and check their brain at the door. Human interaction is no longer an effort - it's a reflex. Look, tap, move on. We're screwed as a species.
You know, that's a good point. My wife does the facebook thing still and there is always very little discussion, but there are a 100 likes. So that's good right? As you said, it takes very little to interact with that. I smiled, I hit the up button and move on.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Yep. Social media has really changed the game. Where we once had to actually talk to people, now we can isolate ourselves in our own little bubble and like/upvote the things that make us feel good without any need for critical thinking or dealing with opposing viewpoints. This has led to a lot of really weird stuff as of late. Flat Earth, anti-vax, political circle jerks and a lot of other stupid BS we're seeing these days. If someone in your own little safe space disagrees with you, you can simply unfriend, unfollow, downvote or whatever. But if everyone gets along and agrees then everything is fine. This really isn't healthy. Hell, this post alone would never fly on modern social media. It's too long for Twitter and it may rustle some jimmies.
My Feedback Thread
JonM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't doubt that the economy has some part in it; but I was a member of this forum, and the previous iteration, for years and barely played at all during that time. So I would be hesitant in how much weight I would put on the economy factor personally.

Forums are a lot like a library to me. Everything has its place, it's usually pretty easy to find, and you can dig around pretty easily when you need to. I'm not sure how you get that same 'convenience' from social media. If you have to join a different group for each thing you like--it seems like it would rapidly cut down on the ability to manage things effectively. Forget having to find things that happened 6 months ago.

I'm sure part of is that Facebook 'feels' easier because most people are already spending a reasonable amount of time there--but unless you're just 'liking' stuff commenting takes the same amount of time, relatively, between one medium and the next.

I'd be curious how much of it relates to the difference in ease of use between mobile platforms, (I don't use the mobile version, Tap a talk?) and how much of it is image hosting? It's super easy to upload a picture to a Facebook group--and without the hassle of 3rd party web hosting.

Edit: Actually, if hitting the 'image' icon on the "Quick Reply" box opened up the camera roll on my phone, and allowed me to upload an image directly to a personal gallery on MCB--I wonder if the forum would see more traffic?

Watching the rain--and waiting for Heaven.

CyberNations

Last edited by Duzzy; 10-02-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Well, maybe I should look into *gasp* upgrading the forums... A lot of good features there, but I will have to do the big upgrade. Maybe I'll set up a beta site to do that.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Well, maybe I should look into *gasp* upgrading the forums... A lot of good features there, but I will have to do the big upgrade. Maybe I'll set up a beta site to do that.
Facebook is not really set up as an information repository, and Facebook cannot really build community in the same way that, in my opinion, a forum can (because you don't really get the history).

There is obviously something that people find appealing about it though, as it seems that is where everyone is. If that can be brought to the forum; maybe the things that a forum can offer will bring people back.

I mean, realistically, if this forum goes down I won't be able to resignedly log in every few years to find out how my CRO is going...

Watching the rain--and waiting for Heaven.

CyberNations
Duzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

These forms are good.

Tapatalk is annoying

Well integrated picture uploader for mobile would be helpful because I can't do imgur on my phone and don't have much time on the pc these days.

Really I don't think there is a lot more to do besides overall sport health boost which is a hard thing to do.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I've been trying to get my SAE design team to use a forum for project discussion, and the passive resistance to the format has been pretty remarkable. We use WhatsApp for chat, and Google Drive for documents, but I wanted a way to bridge the gap between the two for constructive conversation and documentation. Unfortunately people don't want to have to go and check a particular section or post these days. They need mobile access and notifications.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone