mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
Washington DC/Northern VA paintball

This coming summer, I'll be in DC for a conference, and thought about trying to catch a few games locally. A quick use of the interwebz brings up some spots, but I wanted some advice and recommendations from anyone who lives and plays in the area. The big ones seem to be Pev's and Hogback Mountain in Virginia. There is a place in Maryland that seems to be all speedball oriented, and their website is rather off-putting, so that'll probably be a no-go. I'll be flying in, so will have to bring limited equipment, and would rather play in woods, rather than on an airball field.

Anyone care to share their experiences? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
MIKE WAZOWSKI!!!

If you prefer more woodsball type fields you may find Hogback more to your liking. The atmosphere at Hogback is quite laid back and newbie friendly.

If you gravitate towards speedball then try Pevs. Pevs does have town fields and fort fields but there is little natural cover. I have found that the crowd there tends to be less newbie friendly. It has been many years since I have been there so things may have changed.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

Keep an eye on the Northeast forum. We get together every few weeks somewhere in the area.
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cfos00

Where are you staying in the area? I know it sounds like a bit of a specific question, but different suburbs might make a big difference in time of travel. I live in Arlington, 5 min from DC, and it's just as close for me to go up near Baltimore to P3 or down to Southern Maryland Paintball as it is to get out to Pevs or Hogback.

Hogback is a nice woodsball field, but they aren't kidding on the mountain part! The walk up to the field encourages you to bring a lot of paint if you plan on shooting much (air at each field).

Pev's I actually haven't been to. My home field is P3 with it being straight woodsball, while SMP has a fort, speedball field, woods, and a man-made bunker type. It's pretty huge. Also, when are you out? Lots of big game/scenario stuff out here like once a month, if you like that.

Need a Centerflag Uprising manual? PM me.

My Shooters
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ollection.html
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos00 View Post
Where are you staying in the area? I know it sounds like a bit of a specific question, but different suburbs might make a big difference in time of travel. I live in Arlington, 5 min from DC, and it's just as close for me to go up near Baltimore to P3 or down to Southern Maryland Paintball as it is to get out to Pevs or Hogback.

Hogback is a nice woodsball field, but they aren't kidding on the mountain part! The walk up to the field encourages you to bring a lot of paint if you plan on shooting much (air at each field).

Pev's I actually haven't been to. My home field is P3 with it being straight woodsball, while SMP has a fort, speedball field, woods, and a man-made bunker type. It's pretty huge. Also, when are you out? Lots of big game/scenario stuff out here like once a month, if you like that.
The details haven't been ironed out yet, but I'll be staying somewhere in downtown DC or maybe Arlington; where ever the conference organizer can get a hotel with a decent conference center. I didn't even think about Baltimore and MD. I'll have to broaden my search area. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

One of the easiest things to do, in regards to your gear. Either find someone here with good feedback/willing in the area to ship to, or you can ship ahead to the local PO and pick it up for yourself. No issues flying with your wear gear, and really you CAN fly with tank and marker, but it's a pure hassle. Cyclists do it all the time with goods they will need on the road while touring.
punkncat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Freelance Aphorist

CCM Fan
Iíve flown with gear before, but youíre right, itís kind of a pain. My plan was to just take a Phantom, run stock class and buy 12ies locally. Thatís one reason Iím looking for woodsball. I figure flying with a single Phantom wonít be all that big a PITA.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Another good field to check out would be about 40-60min south is Warplay Paintball- all woodsball.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cfos00

That's actually exactly why I asked where he was staying. There are a few fields south that aren't too bad to get to if he wanted to make the drive!

Need a Centerflag Uprising manual? PM me.

My Shooters
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ollection.html
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
The cake is a lie

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I played at Skyline Paintball off I-81 this past April (had a good time). They had a good variety of fields, lots of woods...

My modest collection: Customized PMI Trracer,"Le Frelon", Brass Eagle Nightmare LB Comp "Foxtrot November", Customized Sheridan P68SC, Tippmann Pro/Am, PT Extreme, ACI F4 Illustrator, 2k2 WGP Black Magic "Requiem", 2006 SP Shocker NXT "Elegy"

GattoDiavolo's Feedback
GattoDiavolo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone