mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
IRT Agentsmith's thoughts...
I think Specops running any aspect of paintball in the public view is bad. SPPL on tv will just be a big commercial for their purportedly new equipment and style of play. We already know that their tactics are pretty average if that, and that their equipment is overpriced and sometimes not even theirs to sell, like the spring fed phantom setup they are stealing from Punisher, or the "new, innovative," barrel condom they claimed was their invention on that news report from the MCB forums. Read their online forums, it's like a polar opposite of PBN but it's the same garbage in a different venue, and the sport doesn't need that.

Warpig does some OK stuff and Tyger has lots of cool videos. I think that should be the guide for a new show. Tyger's helmetcam videos give me the idea of giving the referees mask cameras to film in the woods. Much easier than a full camera crew and as long as theyre doing their jobs you have great footage.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Surge-NS,
I certainly agree that Specops and their over-the-top marketing are not the ambassadors for woodsball(thankfully NOT trademarked) that I would choose but the NPPL is better? Calm, reasonable opinions and fair and balanced reviews just don't sell commercials, as sad as that is.
The best case is like I hoped for, a show based out of a big field which is going to be able to set up long term filming stations and modify the fields to improve the show of their events and regular play, with the kind of remote reports you mention from other events around the country.

Rob
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Old. Geek. Paintballer.

Palmers Fan
As I posted on AO, I thought the coverage was excellent, and I was pleased that it appeared ESPN is taking the sport and show seriously. I've tried to watch other paintball shows in the past, but they showed little actual play, and the language and actions of the players interviewed meant I couldn't watch the show with my kids.

While I enjoyed the show, I don't think some of the players represented the sport very well by the wiping, whining, playing on, and taking bonus shots (like the big guy in the dead box). Hopefully, with exposure, their PR people will point that out to them. Although, if you look at the antics of Pro Basketball, Baseball, Football, etc. players, I don't guess Paintball is any worse. Maybe I just expect more from fellow paintballers.

It is hard not to overshoot with the fast markers, depending on the situation. I've only played airball twice, but I was stitched a few times, and I stitched a couple of guys who ran into my streams (I only play with a Revy and don't use ramping, btw). But that's different than bunkering someone and shooting them ten times, or continuing to shoot someone with their hands up while they are walking off, which happened numerous times last night.
NoForts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

See, here's the thing... I LIKE airball...

I'd still love to see a feature on the OSC.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Agentsmith,
I can see your point, and my frustration was more with the specops "way" than anything else. I like your idea and it definately lends itself to television. Remote cameras coupled with a few cameramen on the ground would really work to bring scenario and rec ball to life in the eyes of people who may never have played, by putting them in the middle of it instead of having them watch from the sidelines. I'm sure you'd find no shortage of field owners who would be glad to help too. If I could think of the name of that show.... that was somewhat similar to what youre talking about, albeit a bit more specific as it was a game show.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Red=mod, but not Schmitti

CCM Fan
I got a hilarious call from my brother concerning the show. He said "There is something on ESPN that looks like paintball, but I just cannot see you playing like that. You gotta see it." I laughed and then told him what it was. For some reason he was shocked I was aware of it.

Great spirits always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds-Albert Einstein

Support your local fields. The game you save may ne your own.

"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up." ~ Lily Tomlin
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Merc

Send a message via AIM to JOESPUD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaL
See, here's the thing... I LIKE airball...

I'd still love to see a feature on the OSC.
Ditto, to Both...

Jay

Live or play near Metro STL? Organizing monthly pump meetups at the many different fields near STL. Check out "STL Pump Group" on Facebook for more info.

Best Field in STL
JOESPUD27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I love all styles of paintball, and I think that air coverage is great, what really bothered me about last nights show, besides the idiot in the deadbox shooting live players{he should recieve a suspension for that Big Dan what an idiot} was the play by play guy practically endorsing players to play on until the ref pulls you out. That right there promotes the removal of honor from the game. I don't know about you, maybe i'm a hopeless romantic here, but my honor and honor in the game is very important to me. I ref and those that cheat , play on , or have to be dragged off the field , need a stronger message than a penalty. let see some companies step up and start yanking sponsorships. I wouldn't want that guy representing my company, not only is he dishonorable but what he did is unsafe. To have the play by play guy going on about how you should keep shooting till your physically removed as a good tactic, to me seems to be sending the wrong message about where our values lie as players, that winning at all cost trumps honor. Without honor you have no victory. Thats when I turned it off, shadawg
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Old. Geek. Paintballer.

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg
...what really bothered me about last nights show...was the play by play guy practically endorsing players to play on until the ref pulls you out.
Aye, agreed. He wasn't endorsing sportsmanship, but winning at all costs. I know people argue that it is like holding in football, or a foul in basketball to stop an easy shot, but in Paintball, one person not going out or playing on after being hit can completely change the outcome of a game. I did like the 3 for 1 by the ref on the wiping. Too bad the refs let the other stuff go.

Oh, and I LOVED airball. I'm hoping to go play again in the next couple of weeks. It feels like I'm a noob all over again playing on an air course!
NoForts4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith
Not overshooting on every run through elimination is a miracle of restraint.
Or a natural result of bad aim

I'm sorry to hear that the announcer (?) lauded playing on. Indeed that is contrary to the principles of honor that I wish would govern the sport.
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone