mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Walrus

Exclamation Paintball on ESPN2

I found this over on AO, and thought I would share since tonight is the first night. Also, if this is not the correct place to post this, please feel free to move. I am a little confused as to where this would go

Walrus

ESPN has launched the air dates for the first series of the "US Paintball Championships" sanctioned by the NPPL. The original airings are Monday nights at 10:00 pm EST/ 7:00 pm PST starting Monday April 10 and continuing every Monday through May 29 on ESPN2. ESPN is currently editing the show's footage, which was filmed during last month's 2005 NPPL Super 7 World Series Commander's Cup in Miami. There are 8 different shows, each one hour in length.

Show 1: April 10
Show 2: April 17
Show 3: April 24
Show 4: May 1
Show 5: May 8
Show 6: May 15
Show 7: May 22
Show 8: May 29

ESPN will be promoting the show in a number of ways including a major promotional push during the NPPL Super 7 Huntington Beach event in March of 2006. Please stay tuned to www.NPPL.tv for more information yet to come on this program.

http://www.planeteclipse.com/site/eNews.asp?newsID=136
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

I caught last nights ( I had to go upstairs the wife didn't want to watch) I was pleased at the amout of actual play they showed. There would be a quick overview and them off they went.
Since this isn't my style of play a question, do they always overshoot that much? I saw one that was called but there were a lot that should have been called for excessive shooting.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.

Last edited by Tugboater203; 04-11-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Tugboater203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I noticed the overshooting too, and the subtle wiping. That guy who got caught wiping his hand on the bunker was rather humorous - that was not so subtle! And, you gotta love the slow motion bonus-balling footage... Not my prefered stlye either (I'm a pumper/stock class player), but there was actually not as much bonus balling as I thought there'd be (considering everyone was pretty much throwing as much paint as they could).
JeepinCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Well, you have to take into account the speed at which all that is happening. 5 balls is 1/3 of a second. You're right though, seems like a lot of guys end up lit up.

But it's much better coverage and better to watch than the UAPL. That tiny field they have on that show just doesn't do it for me. Movement is much more fun to watch than two guys stuck in back standups - even if it's harder to keep track of everything that's going on.

I'd love to see television coverage of one of the OSC events. I bet it'd be the most exciting, easiest to watch coverage that's ever been aired.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

The only real problem I find with things like this is that it is NOT how all paintball is played. I find myself having to explain to folks that paintball is a much more diverse sport than what they see on TV. But at least it is a start.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
I am stuck on bandaid...

Shoot yeah it's a start!

I actually had a moment last night when I realized that there are now THREE - count 'em, 3!!!! - paintball related television shows on the air right now. Sure, they're all tourney speedball but hey man something is better than nothing! We've even got a realistic, non-stereotypical portrayal in a major motion picture. Huzzah!

Coming from someone who got started in the early-mid 90's when REAL television coverage was only a far-fetched dream, I have to say I'm really excited about it all.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Yeah I watched last nights showing also. It was funny to see all the "pros" get pissy when they got eliminated.

The announcer leaves a bit to be desired...calling them "gun fighters" and stuff. Some of the 2 on 1 stuff was cool.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Meh, everybody I know who watched it that hasn't played paintball yet is afraid to try it now. Why can't the networks show people following the rules, having a good time, and not complaining when they get out? In most other televised sports there is a professional aspect to it. Most of these guys act like the 12 year old twibs they started out as. Sometimes it feels like the "Pros" are just the grown older (but not up) versions of the same old whiney rich kids that muck things up at the amateur tourney level.

On the other hand, bonus balling IMO is a direct result of guns with too high of an rof. I have shot such markers, and it is far too easy to do it even when you aren't trying to. For this reason sometimes I give the occasional overshooter a pass if they admit they just lost control of the gun for a half second, but as soon as they blame someone else, or me, or bouncy triggers or something else that they should have fixed in the first place, then I get very, very angry.

...What was that british game show they used to have on, with the paintballers that would be driven in in a van, then have to complete objectives and get back to the van?... it was very milsim'ey and the people had to act dead if they got shot...they could get players back with points from the missions, and they had the oppritunity to purchase grenades and shields...

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I saw the first couple games and I liked some of the overlay graphics that they were using to show where the players were and what lane they were shooting, my wife said it made it easier to follow what was going on.
I also liked the three for 1 when one of the hurricanes tried to wipe a hit off his hand, nothing worse than getting busted on ESPN2 .

As far as overshooting, like Jakal noted, at 15 bps, when your first ball arrives 50 feet away, 2 more are already in the air behind it and staying on the trigger for a 1/3 of a second will put out 5 more. Not overshooting on every run through elimination is a miracle of restraint.

The nice thing will be if these speedball shows can stay afloat viewer-wise, then someone will try a scenario-woodsball oriented show just to be different...
Really I think the next likely candidate would be the SPPL scenario league, you've got to have something to show every week or it's not a show. To do a traveling recball/woodsball show would cost more than the advertising could possibly pay for, IMO. Many woodsball fields simply couldn't be filmed without weeks of planning camera placement and direction. A show hosted at a big field like EMR or Skirmish might do well with simpler, shorter reports from scenarios and big games around the country. I hope I get to see it happen!

Rob
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Walrus

I will have to agree with those on here that are stating that this is at least a step forward for getting paintball on TV. I was so excited last night that I could hardly stand it. My wife stayed up for a little while to see what it was about, but then she went to bed. I appreciated how ESPN would show a full shot of the field with player positions off the break so other spectators could follow along. Also, by showing who got hit and some of the replays really helped my wife to like it more.

It was nice to see the penalties for the cheating that the ref's caught. The 1 for 1's and 3 for 1's were nice, but I would like to see them catch more of the overshooting. You all have already commented on the wiping, but did you all see the guy who was on the same team as the wiper shoot an opposing player while he was standing in the dead-box? That was classic and they caught him on camera too. I loved the instant reply of it showing in slow motion that he dliberately shot the opposing player! That was great that both cheaters were on the same team and they are already eliminated so we don't have to see any more of their antics while trying to enjoy the rest of the finals. The rest of the games were good and actions packed. I can't wait for next Monday night!!
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone