mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ray View Post
Safety should NEVER be sacrificed for money, PERIOD.
But it happens in every single part of everyone's lives every day.

How much are you willing to spend for "safety"? Let's think about something very dangerous; cars. Should laws be made that you have to get a brand new set of tires every 5000 miles? That would be safer. How about forcing people to install full roll cages like in race cars? That would be safer. Maybe there should be a law where you have to crush every car two years old or with 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. That would be safer.

Are you willing to spend $600,000 on a car every two years because you don't want to sacrifice even one iota of safety? Of course not. That's life. We all make those choices every day. What you said is great in theory, but impossible to practice.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Well the kid who buys the gun has nothing to worry about. The people he's playing with, however...they'll feel it.

[edit, I have more to say.]

The thing about these blowbacks shooting hot from the box that really bugs me is how simple it is to fix. They manufacturer doesn't really need to crank the velocity to the limit. They have the easy option of placing weaker springs in the gun at the manufacturing stage. No, they won't have incredible consistency with a simple spring weight selection, but if they find a combination that produces AROUND 280 or 270 fps, instead of around 330-380, the RVA can compensate up when it is received. The way things are, there is just no way for a kid to ready his gun for a field on his own.

Last edited by russc; 08-31-2006 at 11:12 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to howling phantom

As pervisoly stated, I think it has something to do with the better-range compitition between new players. Lets face it, when you first started playing, you had no idea of velocity, and wanted a gun that could out shoot your buds. The company prob relizes this, cranks it up or doesnt mess with it at the factory, and sell it to the kids. Usualy, they arent gonna have a chrono on hand. Its the company playing up the arms race between new players.

Or, I could be completly wrong, which I prob am. I think so.

(I just had to add it in there, Brewtt)
howling phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Most blowbacks from the box need to have velocity adjusted drastically.

They arent consistant in manufacturing and one "red" spring from them is probably different from the other. They put them together and hope they work and thats that.

There was a time when people i know had 4 brand new blowbacks and 4 of them needed to get a spring kit. Its kinda standard.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

We keep a bunch of Spyder spring kits in the ref shack at our field. We sell more of them than 9v batteries. In fact, the only thing we sell more of (marker related) is barrel socks. Of course, the Spyder spring kit / barrel sock combo is a popular option chosen by many of the kids.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone