mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

Barrel length

I rember reading an article on barrel lenght, (I think it was from warPig) Claming that after 8'' of barrel the ball slows down. Do you guys rember this?
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Not slows down.. The idea was that it did not significantly improve on accuracy.

While I don't completely agree with it, there is merit on it...

We are dealing with just paintballs... not perfect... That's where most of the problem comes from.

Personally, I think 12 to 14 is perfect on both accuracy and efficency.

It works like this:

The longer the barrel, you do increase accuracy, but you also loose efficency. The ball leaves the barrel at 300 fps (for argument sake) but in the barrel is drag... So the longer the barrel, the more you need to turn up your fps. You can try this on your own if you wish.

Put on an 18" barrel, and set it for 300 fps. Put on a shorter barrel 8" barrel, and you'll be shooting a lot higher fps.

----

So.. looking at it like that.. if you did it the OTHER way... have a short barrel, say 8".. and you put on an 10" or higher.. then yes, it WILL slow down. Because of the extra barrel length and drag on the ball...

I think there is a fine line between accuracy and efficency... I've been trying to find it. Maybe this winter I'll find the perfect barrel length.
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
Not slows down.. The idea was that it did not significantly improve on accuracy.

While I don't completely agree with it, there is merit on it...

We are dealing with just paintballs... not perfect... That's where most of the problem comes from.

Personally, I think 12 to 14 is perfect on both accuracy and efficency.

It works like this:

The longer the barrel, you do increase accuracy, but you also loose efficency. The ball leaves the barrel at 300 fps (for argument sake) but in the barrel is drag... So the longer the barrel, the more you need to turn up your fps. You can try this on your own if you wish.

Put on an 18" barrel, and set it for 300 fps. Put on a shorter barrel 8" barrel, and you'll be shooting a lot higher fps.

----

So.. looking at it like that.. if you did it the OTHER way... have a short barrel, say 8".. and you put on an 10" or higher.. then yes, it WILL slow down. Because of the extra barrel length and drag on the ball...

I think there is a fine line between accuracy and efficency... I've been trying to find it. Maybe this winter I'll find the perfect barrel length.
I remember reading that article, I got from it that 8" barrels might be more efficent in terms of gas usage. I tend to agree that a 10 to 14 inch barrel seems to work the best all around. Now if all the paintballs were the same size and perfectly round the variability would be reduced. If someone wanted to see how much barrel length affects gas usage, use a 68 caliber plastic marble to eliminate the varibles caused the odd shapes from paintball to paintball. One would have to use the same style and type barrel in different lengths to eliminate differences in bore size and or venting as well as bore composition. The marble should give consistant shots, but it still might be a moot point as one shouldn`t shoot them at people and paintballs vary too much.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Everything said above is correct. However, the averge paintball barrel is a 2-peice and thus the second portion of the barrel does not touch the paintball (in most 2 peice barrels). For instance, the Freak is .700 at the tip.

What is said above applies only to one peice straight bored barrels.

There is also a point and aim factor. I seem to aim better with a barrel longer than 10 inches. 14 to 15 seems ideal to me. Not too long but I can aim well and also mold airball bunkers with my barrel.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to badkarma

Was it the article that Glen Palmer wrote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
68 specials are big manly tank guns, not little woman guns...thats what Shockers are for...
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/faq.php
http://www.tacticalreplicas.com
Factory Team
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
DCB
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to DCB

Read this.
http://www.automags.org/resource/tec...rrel_eff.shtml

http://www.automags.org/resource/tec...boresize.shtml

I saw something about shooting a short barrel (like the 6in Phantom) that if you chronograph it a 280 fps that in actuality the ball is still accelerating after it leaves the barrel.?

Peace
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Pump Player Clan
http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54098
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...html#post78710
Gallery
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...er=184&cat=500
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Actually, i have found that the ball does a significant portion of its acceleration in the tip of a two peice barrel. Try taking a freak insert out and using just the barrel some time. Beside the incessant barrel breaks, it actually isnt super hard to acheive 300 fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
Everything said above is correct. However, the averge paintball barrel is a 2-peice and thus the second portion of the barrel does not touch the paintball (in most 2 peice barrels). For instance, the Freak is .700 at the tip.

What is said above applies only to one peice straight bored barrels.

There is also a point and aim factor. I seem to aim better with a barrel longer than 10 inches. 14 to 15 seems ideal to me. Not too long but I can aim well and also mold airball bunkers with my barrel.

TF
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Yes, but you are still using some of that 8", it just happens to be at the latter end of the barrel without an insert.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
is in the left gate...

Send a message via AIM to jwigum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1rfa View Post
Actually, i have found that the ball does a significant portion of its acceleration in the tip of a two peice barrel. Try taking a freak insert out and using just the barrel some time. Beside the incessant barrel breaks, it actually isnt super hard to acheive 300 fps.
I think a better example would be to compare a super short front like the ones Doc makes, and an eight inch long front. See what the velocity difference is.

Personally, I like the idea of overboring a barrel after about 8-10 inches, and punching a bazillion holes in it. I've found that I'm a lousy first shot, so getting to take one or two more is nice. A barrel with lots of holes in the front helps quiet the shot.
jwigum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB View Post
I saw something about shooting a short barrel (like the 6in Phantom) that if you chronograph it a 280 fps that in actuality the ball is still accelerating after it leaves the barrel.?

Peace
I've seen/heard that reported as well, but I don't buy it. The ball is accelerated by the pressure of the propellant (air or CO2) behind it in the barrel. Once it leaves the barrel, the air pressure is dissipated to the surrounding air and the ball begins to decelerate. Depending on the volume of the propellant, there could, theoretically be a final burst of acceleration as it exits the barrel immediately after the ball, though it wouldn't have any significant effect on the overall flight of the ball.

Smart Parts used this phenomenon as basis for their claims that their All American barrels were the most accurate. The second half of the barrel, just like the "front" of their freak barrels, was bored to .700. The spiral porting was purported (no pun intended) to direct or control the escape of this pressure, reducing the turbulence that the ball might experience as it left the tip of the barrel. Further, they claimed that the spiral arrangement of the ports imparted a spin on the ball to improve the accuracy of the shot. They never provided any scientific data to back up any of these claims, but at one point in time everyone and their mother had an AA on the field. Advertising is an extremely powerful tool.

In fact, I believe a few years ago that either Doc, Have Blue, or some other airsmith used a high-speed camera to capture the plume of vapor following a ball out of the tip of an AA barrel and also show that almost no vapor exited from the porting. I don't know if they also debunked the "spin" part of SP claims, though.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone