mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 03-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I occasionally enjoy reading Doc's commics, but other than that, I'm "normal".
Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
All teh pews

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
I'm still lost. So you mean folks who dress up as animals? Nothing wrong with that, how's it any different than playing an RPG?
Need something anodized? HMU on our team forums above.
SN toter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN toter View Post
I'm still lost. So you mean folks who dress up as animals? Nothing wrong with that, how's it any different than playing an RPG?
I see nothing wrong with most sorts of social deviance and hobbies as long as they are not harmful to anyone. However, I think the issue most people have is the extreme side of it, which is something I cannot comment on, as I have really no idea (minus the CSI episode).
Old 03-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN toter View Post
It's sort of like an all life RPG for some people. I don't think anyone here dresses up like animals all the time, and for all I know they don't go to furry conventions either. (I don't. I don't like being around that many people, especially all together in one building. My tolerance for BS gets pretty thin.) Some people just think it's fun to have an animal "personality" and do RPing online. Others just like anthropomorphic animal art either drawing it or think it's cool. Maybe some of us watched Tail Spin, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktails, or Darkwing Duck for to long in our childhood- I don't know.

Wiki has an article that isn't too bad at explaining it. Furry fandom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just like not all paintballers are speedballers, not all furries dress up in costumes or want to go to bed with a big purple cat or something. Hopefully that helps a little. If you end up going on furry-wiki you'll see why I mentioned a part in my original post here that furries who are super active in the fandom are very Strange Rangers. I wouldn't want to go to a furry convention if someone offered me money.

There is one series of stories written with furry characters which I stumbled across during college and still think is pretty good. It's sci fi giving reason for the characters to be anthro characters and has a decent storyline if you follw it. The Complete Archive of stories set in the "Tales from the Blind Pig" Universe.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

If your a member of this forum you have much bigger things to worry about than if someone is a "Furry" or not. Like, "Can I afford that KP?" "Can I afford the payments if I take out a loan to afford that KP?"

I ball for Team Fracture
B&E Paintball --- Wild World Paintball
pizzaluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I see nothing wrong with most sorts of social deviance and hobbies as long as they are not harmful to anyone. However, I think the issue most people have is the extreme side of it, which is something I cannot comment on, as I have really no idea (minus the CSI episode).
Double post, but I wanted to get this across too:
Some people have issues with it since there are quite a few people in the furry fandom who are just egocentric idiots. Or on the other side of the spectrum, they whine about everything and act really immature for their age. Maybe something in the fantasy of having an animal alter ego truly appears to people with some sort of legit mental issues, I don't know.

Again, NOT ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THAT. I'm not saying furries need medication or therapy or both. I have just noticed it tends to draw some of the stranger individuals out of the woodwork.

NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Old 03-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
All teh pews

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
It's sort of like an all life RPG for some people. I don't think anyone here dresses up like animals all the time, and for all I know they don't go to furry conventions either. (I don't. I don't like being around that many people, especially all together in one building. My tolerance for BS gets pretty thin.) Some people just think it's fun to have an animal "personality" and do RPing online. Others just like anthropomorphic animal art either drawing it or think it's cool. Maybe some of us watched Tail Spin, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers, Ducktails, or Darkwing Duck for to long in our childhood- I don't know.

Wiki has an article that isn't too bad at explaining it. Furry fandom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Just like not all paintballers are speedballers, not all furries dress up in costumes or want to go to bed with a big purple cat or something. Hopefully that helps a little. If you end up going on furry-wiki you'll see why I mentioned a part in my original post here that furries who are super active in the fandom are very Strange Rangers. I wouldn't want to go to a furry convention if someone offered me money.

There is one series of stories written with furry characters which I stumbled across during college and still think is pretty good. It's sci fi giving reason for the characters to be anthro characters and has a decent storyline if you follw it. The Complete Archive of stories set in the "Tales from the Blind Pig" Universe.

Ahhh, thank you Listessa. That explains it a bit better for me
Need something anodized? HMU on our team forums above.
SN toter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

You're welcome!

It's sort of tricky to fully explain without sending some member of the fandom into a full fledged tizzy. No one here I suspect, but I've seen it happen elsewhere.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
65%More Bullet Per Bullet

A.C. basbas: Myself, no. Karen does art for them though.

As for the beard thing however, I do qualify.

And wow, I didn't expect this to get as much traffic as it has. I was just curious, since both have huge internet power centers.
Although, Today I observed an airsoft 'event' at PnL paintball up here, And was almost MORE disturbed than at the pics of furry Conventions I've seen. You think milsim paintballers are extreme, These guys were practically LARPers with toy guns. Which leads me to a conclusion:

Airsoft: 'DnD BullS***t, With Guns!'
Tohri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

I know a few people who LARP (I'm not going to knock it, just not my thing), and they've asked me to come a few times. My usual response is 'No thanks, I'd rather play paintball. Our fake weapons are WAY better.'

But, yeah, some airsofters are REALLY hardcore. Personally, I'm glad for it, it gets those people out of paintball. Not saying they're bad people, or that airsoft is a bad sport, but people that don't understand paintball see these guys and automatically think we're all like that, giving us a bad name. Now we're just passing the bad public image buck.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone