mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   'Furry' paintballers? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/36325-furry-paintballers.html)

Tohri 03-29-2008 09:30 PM

'Furry' paintballers?

I mean besides Doc, Tyger, Ironbadger, etc... How many Paintballers out there are also furries?

You think you'd see it more, Both groups have a huge online presence.

I'm only saying this because My girlfriend was using the computer before me, and half the windows up are MCB, the other half are Furaffinity.

...Oh, wait, ruckusfox and listessa... Maybe Silverwolf. Hmm.

hank_k 03-29-2008 09:53 PM

... and here I was hoping you meant hairy players.

Marauder_Pilot 03-29-2008 09:54 PM

Yeah. I'm a hairy bastard, but furry...not so much my thing.

A.C. Basbas 03-29-2008 09:59 PM

Wow, man, when we played together last fall I thought you might be a furry, but I didn't say anything (mixed company; some people don't get it). Was I right?

foughtwolf 03-29-2008 10:13 PM

Not to the extremes of that particular fandom, but I do consider myself one. I believe there was a thread like this on PBN that got shot down as hard as the gay paintballers thread. Here, though, I think its a safe bet to say I, and any others wont be ravanged by you guys.

I think alot of people think we are all nuts because of the CSI episode, a good portion of us are not that nuts, myself included. Additionally I dont think people realize how normal and everyday people are furries, we all have other hobbies, interests, and so on.

And to answer your question about why there arent more: Well, trust me, we are legion. Typically its a hush-hush thing because of normal societies outlook from T.V. about us.

Emerald Wolf 03-29-2008 11:54 PM

Likes da artwork in small doses, don't feel the need to dress the part. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people would think that it's particularly subversive, people can do far worse in their free time...Like play paintball :D

Catchya on the Flip Side.....

Emerald Wolf -- tee hee....

Daze 03-29-2008 11:58 PM

On the internet though, foughtwolf, it isn't because we've seen a CSI episode (I didn't even realize there was a CSI episode about Furs) its because we've, at some point or another, stumbled onto websites where those extremely furry furs hang out. Personally I don't care what CSI said about furs, I've seen pictures, videos, and forum posts. Most of you are cool, but like all groups, you've got your fair share of complete oddballs. Some stretch the word oddball to its very limits.

But yeah, a lot of furs play paintball, at least casually. I used to mod a webcomic forum that was mostly furs (actually, 'scalies' according to most of them, apparently dragons are better than animals and deserve their own distinction :rolleyes:). There were several people who played a couple of times a year at least. Furring is a little harder to bring up in casual conversation than most hobbies, that may be why you don't see people talking about it as much in forums built around other interests. For some people its less of a hobby and more of a lifestyle and really, does anyone talk about the background, basic things they do that is so far beyond hobby that it doesn't register as something out of your way to do? It would be like a teenager mentioning in casual conversation here how much he texts. Most of them don't think about it, much less think about it enough to bring it us in conversation on a paintball forum.

foughtwolf 03-30-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze (Post 355995)
On the internet though, foughtwolf, it isn't because we've seen a CSI episode (I didn't even realize there was a CSI episode about Furs) its because we've, at some point or another, stumbled onto websites where those extremely furry furs hang out. Personally I don't care what CSI said about furs, I've seen pictures, videos, and forum posts. Most of you are cool, but like all groups, you've got your fair share of complete oddballs. Some stretch the word oddball to its very limits.

But yeah, a lot of furs play paintball, at least casually. I used to mod a webcomic forum that was mostly furs (actually, 'scalies' according to most of them, apparently dragons are better than animals and deserve their own distinction :rolleyes:). There were several people who played a couple of times a year at least. Furring is a little harder to bring up in casual conversation than most hobbies, that may be why you don't see people talking about it as much in forums built around other interests. For some people its less of a hobby and more of a lifestyle and really, does anyone talk about the background, basic things they do that is so far beyond hobby that it doesn't register as something out of your way to do? It would be like a teenager mentioning in casual conversation here how much he texts. Most of them don't think about it, much less think about it enough to bring it us in conversation on a paintball forum.

Nicely put.

Listessa 03-30-2008 02:36 AM

What's the label truly matter? ;)

You know, if I labeled myself everything I am, the list would be miles long and not winning popularity points from any sector really. Honestly furries get more bad press than many other "fringe" groups people identify with, other than mayhaps the Otherkin. Then again, there's so much drama in the furry fandom/lifestyle/whatever you want to call it I honestly am not surprised at the flack they catch. (As for the 'kin, well, more than a few really Strange Rangers ruin it for the more laid back of the group.)

Slvrwulf AKA Misslemaker (as of around December 07) who is not around anymore is/was furry. Haven't seen him active since Dec 07.

I got interested in 2000 when I stumbled across some amusing cartoons of critters that one of my college friends had. Nothin' too bizarre, just silly stuff. Then he showed me the really funny stuff. (I like a lot of J. Willard's sense of humor- so go figure!) The art is pretty nifty. I can't draw worth crap, so I just like gathering it and using it for my own personal screen savers or I used to decorate my dorm door with anthro wolf and cool dragons. Lot of my college friends happened to be as well. We'd do silly stuff anyway, since pretty much the entire table was part of Blade Society or SCA in some shape or form, so on days when we weren't in garb for practices we'd occasionally wear ears or tails just to mess with the rest of the UMaine people. That was particularly amusing when a couple of the guys road in on those franken-bikes. If anyone asks why, well it's just part of what type of drawings I think are nifty. Maybe it ties in with some of the other things I'm labeled as, who knows. Either way, that's not something to go further offtopic about in a paintball forum.

As for now, I've grown up. When you work for a few years as a professional the idea of doing quirky things dies out. I'm too busy enjoying the fact I now have a job that allows me to wear Carheartts and random shirts like my Beaver Moon tshirt or the St. Pat's Day one I have without anyone giving me static about it.

Eventually I want to rig up some wolf looking ears and wear them on the paintball mask just for kicks and giggles. Just because- it's fun. If I do that I'll dig out one of the older coyote tails I have and play while wearing that too.

Disclaimer:
If you don't like furries, the furry fandom, or any of that stuff- good for you. I honestly don't care. Just don't harass me about it. What I do in my spare time isn't any of your business.

idkfa 03-30-2008 09:04 AM

I came into this thread thinking "finally, people that understand not shaving for a week" as I sheepishly stroked my exam beardage. ;)