mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to behemoth

'cocker threaded barrel for AA Intimidator

Alright.

I recently purchased a WGP Sniper III (i love this thing.) I'm trying to keep it oldschool as possible. I'm using copper for a feed-elbow, got a WGP ammobox, co2, all stock, etc.

Now, its more of a novelty, but i want to make it as much as 'Woah, what the heck is on that thing?!' as i possibly can. And i have an AA Intimidator

The barrel, as some of you might know, is a 1in diameter piece of aluminum, bored out to .68 and cocker threaded...

So, the Intimidator wont fit. Well, i want a decent 'old school' style barrel that the Intimidator WILL fit on, so something 3/4 OD. Which brings me to my next point, the pump handle goes over the barrel, and is made to go over the 1in barrel, will it work with a smaller barrel, just have some slop, or will i have issues?

Thanks
-Josh
behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Umm...why not just either:
A) Have the Intimidator machined to fit the 1" barrel - I had to have this done to make one fit on my Vector when I had it, I'm sure many others have done it as well.
2) Have the existing barrel turned down to 7/8" (which I believe is the standard ID of the AA Intimidator), not the whole barrel, just enough to fit the Intimidator. If the barrel otherwise shoots well, and you don't want to machine the Intimidator, this is your best bet.

If you go with a replacement barrel, most (esp. "old skool" ones) have a "collar" of sorts around the barrel at the point where the pump handle would ride. Take a look at this PPS barrel:

It's true purpose is to hold the front of the shroud, but when you've got a pump, that's it's alternative use. Some newer 'cocker barrels lack this collar since most people stopped using (and WGP stopped including) shrouds years ago...

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
Umm...why not just either:
A) Have the Intimidator machined to fit the 1" barrel - I had to have this done to make one fit on my Vector when I had it, I'm sure many others have done it as well.
2) Have the existing barrel turned down to 7/8" (which I believe is the standard ID of the AA Intimidator), not the whole barrel, just enough to fit the Intimidator. If the barrel otherwise shoots well, and you don't want to machine the Intimidator, this is your best bet.

If you go with a replacement barrel, most (esp. "old skool" ones) have a "collar" of sorts around the barrel at the point where the pump handle would ride. Take a look at this PPS barrel:

http://www.echo-base.org/pball/marke...green_mini.jpg

It's true purpose is to hold the front of the shroud, but when you've got a pump, that's it's alternative use. Some newer 'cocker barrels lack this collar since most people stopped using (and WGP stopped including) shrouds years ago...
I was thinking of getting the AA turned out, but then i couldnt use it on other barrels.

And i dont want to ruin the stock barrel.

So, i think i'll find a barrel with a bump like that

btw, i just took calipers to the AA, it is 7/8ths...
Old 09-25-2006, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
what about newer(ish) stock cocker barrels aren't they 7/8 in diameter? i'll check when i get home tonite. they also don't have porting so you would be quite loud with it.
lexiones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiones View Post
what about newer(ish) stock cocker barrels aren't they 7/8 in diameter? i'll check when i get home tonite. they also don't have porting so you would be quite loud with it.
I have a couple stock 2k3 or 2k4 barrels and they both have a kind of flare at the end...not sure if it's 1" OD, but I don't think it's 7/8". As a point of reference, stock CCI (Phantom) barrels are just a hair under 7/8" OD (I needed a wrap of electrical tape on mine to keep the Intimidator snug). I believe the PPS barrel I pictured is 13/16", so if you were lucky enough to find one of those, it'd need a couple wraps of tape. I've sure there are some 7/8" OD, 'cocker-threaded barrels out there...maybe an old J&J stainless or brass? I think PPS can sleeve one of their barrels to bring it out to 7/8", but I'm not 100% sure. If they can, I'd strongly suggest getting an 8-10" unported, wedgited barrel from them and having them put a 7/8" OD sleeve it. You'll get dead-on accuracy and it'll be plenty loud, even without the Intimidator.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Im not sure how well a sniper 3 pump handle would work with those collared cocker barrels. Might be awesome, might be funky.

Best option is to find another stock barrel since they are definately not rare, and turn that down, or make the ID of the intimidator larger which you dont wanna do.

I suggest finding another stock barrel.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Im not sure how well a sniper 3 pump handle would work with those collared cocker barrels. Might be awesome, might be funky.

Best option is to find another stock barrel since they are definately not rare, and turn that down, or make the ID of the intimidator larger which you dont wanna do.

I suggest finding another stock barrel.
I've got a few newer stock cocker barrels, i'll just get one turned down to 7/8ths

or find a Sniper III barrel :x

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone