mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Paintball Cannon Loads

I'm curious as to how other paintball cannon loads work. Mine is essentially a compressed air spud gun. My method so far has been packing newspaper or paper towel into the barrel, puting how ever many paintballs I want to fire (20-50) then packing another layer on top to hold it in. The problem with that is it's not easy to do on the field. I've been thinking about pre made cartridges, but can't figure out how to get them to break apart and spread the load out. I get muzzle velocities of around 800 fps according to the local field's chrono(maybe due to the amount of projectiles, or the size of the load), but it doesn't appear to be going that fast, definately not comparable to a shotgun load that goes 800 fps, and doesn't have the range of a paintball gun. I've been shot with it from a medium distance, and it hit softer then a paintball gun. I've used it in a game or 2, but I don't get to many chances to play with enough people to warrant using it. It has a pretty effective pattern, about 20 feet at it's widest.

So, what other loads and setups have you guys seen?

AKA Snuggles Smith

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5149
Do Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Try tubing that is slit in 2's or 4's, so it breaks apart after you fire. Whats your barrel ID?

I could draw up a pattern for you to use coroplast (its like corrogated cardboard made from p[lastic, cheap and durable) to make shells from.

Email me if you are interested or need the pattern
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Morbidly Sarcastic!

Send a message via AIM to Tescrash Send a message via Yahoo to Tescrash

I also made a cannon, 2 ID on the barrel, & uses a solenoid operated lawn sprinkler valve. How does your local field allow 800 fps?!? And how can it hurt less than a paintball marker? I made mine to take to an upcoming scenario game, & they limit fps to 300. I'm intrested in your coroplast designs Azzy.....mind sending me a copy @ tescrash@coogoose.com ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Of A-5
I thought you were serious for a moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtcow
I am. That's a dude that desperately wants to be a chick.
Tescrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

First off these things should never be fired directly at someone! If your field allows you to do this... find another field!

Cannons should be arc fired at people... 45 degree angle of fire is usually what is required.

As to loads.

Toilet paper tubes with tissue paper and paper tape... slit the tube up the sides for up to 2/3 of the length. on the unslit portion fill that with paper towel with the towel taped in. The slit portion will get filled with paintballs. With the tissue paper covering the front.

These will be able to be stored in a pod.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

First off your not shooting any where near 800fps the PB's could not handle it, and also paper cups (the small kind) with a slit all the way down one side works great for grape shots.

JT
CrazyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

There was a player at the Adventure Games park years ago who loaded his paint into styrofoam coffee cups, scotch taped together. He'd load the paint into 2 cups taped together 'mouth to mouth', and a third cup taped to one of the bottoms of the other cups. It looked like a shaped charged round, and he got a rather good effect using this method.
THE-SHOOTIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Working on it!!!

How do you figure out barrel size: 2 ID? What's that mean in relation to the pipe you used and I'd be interested as well in the coroplast design Azzy. Always been curious about making or purchasing a cannon for scenario games. Email noxx55@yahoo.com Thanks!!!
noxx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Pipe is usually sold by it's Inner Diameter (ID) size.... 2" ID would be a pipe with an inner diameter of 2".... which is a big chunk of pvc...... I had some 4" pvc laying around that I wanted to make a mortar with.... but I was afraid that it would become a bomb before it became a mortar.. I only trust pvc so far when dealing with air pressure!

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ah...Schmitti !! i have got PVC up to 300psi (i was hdding behide a car door) but i did and it works just fine at that PSI any how dont worrie just make sure you prime and glue the crap outa all the joints! i mean glue them good but dont skimp on the primer!!!!!

JT
CrazyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Morbidly Sarcastic!

Send a message via AIM to Tescrash Send a message via Yahoo to Tescrash

Schedule 40 PVC is rated at 225 PSI max, I'm only going to be running at about 100 max though, due to my valve's max PSI. My problem is that 2 inch PVC will not even fir the smallest of paper cups(load I was planning on using). I can hack off a peice & rebarrel it for 3 inch, but I didn't want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Of A-5
I thought you were serious for a moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtcow
I am. That's a dude that desperately wants to be a chick.
Tescrash is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone