mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Dick's sporting goods has a policy to check the date on all tanks, and regardless if it is under 2 inches if it is out of hydro they won't fill it...

I have probably 20 expired tanks in my garage right now... I even have some really old mini steel round tanks that say on the side "never need rehydro testing"...

New 20 ounces can be had for less than $20 online, (got my last one for $17) so I usually don't mess with my old ones when they run out of hydro. Our local place does rehydro any tank for $12...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
The 2x2 rule exempts the tank from hydro not the visual inspection. Is your safety not worth $20 to test a tank? Out of hydro means I am not filling it regardless of size.
But if it falls under the 2x2 rule in the USA, then it's not "out of Hydro". If you tell the customer it's "out of hydro" (or by law needs to be hydro-tested), you are lying to the customer.

But you are right that it does not exempt it from visual inspection.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

The way I figure it, if it has a hydro date on it, then that should be followed. If it didn't need to be hydroed ("need" meaning safety-wise, not DOT's legal ruling), then the manufacturer wouldn't have bothered stamping a date on it in the first place.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
Not cool.
I have had S.C. Village give me crap about hydro dates. they claim there are no five year hydros. I rarely go there anymore...
I had the guys at PEA at an event tell me something similar, like "the first test is five years, but it's every three years after that." I've taken to keeping a copy of the DOT code for any bottle that is over three years into hydro.

If you don't like me or my bottle, that's a whole different problem. Don't pretend I haven't done my part on the inspections.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
The way I figure it, if it has a hydro date on it, then that should be followed. If it didn't need to be hydroed ("need" meaning safety-wise, not DOT's legal ruling), then the manufacturer wouldn't have bothered stamping a date on it in the first place.
Right because manufacturers would never need to know when a particular tank was "born".
Or what batch it came from.
Or need to cover a warranty from the date of manufacture of the product.
Or they always love to retool their stamping for those bottles that "need" vs those that just have it on their "because".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

A born on date is one thing. A "rehydro by" date is something else entirely.

Of course, my opinion on the matter doesn't mean anything, since I neither fill takes or own anything under 2".

www.teamontargetpb.com

Last edited by Murf425; 06-05-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
A born on date is one thing. A "rehydro by" date is something else entirely.
When you purchase a "new" tank your tanks have a rehydro by date on them?

All of mine have a born on date "stamped" one way or another depending on tank type. The DoT requires any tanks that are going to be transported on "their" roads to be recertified (rehydroed) safe according to certain guidelines. The first recertification (rehydro) is required on the schedule from the date of manufacture. I can get a tank rehydroed at any time and use that tank as long as it has not passed its "lifespan" which is from the date of manufacture not from the first rehydro.

And who is to determine the "need" safetywise for the rehydro? Mr. Average wants to save a buck who treats his equipment like crap? Or the transportation safety standards that are already in place and are the easiest to use and follow?
Anyone who fills cylinders can refuse to fill your cylinder at their discretion if they visually do not like the look of your tank regardless of ANY date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
I translated this as: Scenario games are popular with overshooting douchebags raging on cocaine and steroid cocktails while roasting puppies and punching babies. Stay home unless you enjoy impromptu fistfights.

Last edited by EL17E 76; 06-05-2013 at 11:38 AM.
EL17E 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #28 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
When you purchase a "new" tank your tanks have a rehydro by date on them?
Dunno about new ones, since i haven't bought a non-used tank in years. But, while I haven't looked at them since posting up a "get this crap out of my house" sale thread a couple of months ago, I know for a fact that I've got some old CO2 tanks that have "Rehydro Before..." stamped into the metal.

www.teamontargetpb.com
Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Slightly different question:

This text is very specific about the manufacturer it is referring to -- Catalina.

However, I don't think Catalina is the only maker of 13ci's now. I'll have to check the manufacturer stamp on my Ninja 13ci, but it doesn't look like my other two 13ci's.

If it's not Catalina, then these 13ci's, if I'm reading this text carefully and specifically, are not exempt.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

I dont think any 13ci are exempt doesnt the 2x2 rule only refer to 1800 psi tanks or less? So basically only co2 tanks
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone