mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
Needs new knees

A few things to consider. There has been no tank critically fail (That I know of) other than when they do it for testing purposes. There have been valve failures and such, but no aluminum or wrapped tank has actually "Exploded". I think the only instance is when one of the Stako tanks had a failure in Europe. But Aluminum tanks are very well built as are the Moly tanks. I have not heard one report of any Co2 tank failing catastrophically, valves or regs yes, but not the tank. When filling a Co2 tank, I will give a quick visible inspection, and if it has major damage, I wont fill it. but small nicks and dings dont scare me one bit. The burst disc is going to let go before the tank will. Co2 tanks that dont fit under the 2x2 rule are hydro tested to 3000psi, and I feel perfectly safe with filling a hydro tested Co2 tank or one that fits under the 2x2 rule. A 12oz aluminum Co2 tank which usually fits within the 2x2 rule, is stronger than a 20oz as it is much skinnier, it has less stress under pressure. Theres a huge difference between respect for the tank, and outright fear.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #42 (permalink)
Cocker Lover

I'm pretty sure there's pics of a pballer that had severe burns on his arm from the tank exploding... one case right there. It's been around on the forums.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #43 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Yeah I know there was an HPA tank system that had failure due to oil in the fill nipple. I caused combustion in the tank (diesel effect). I just don't remember if the tank failed or the valve.... But I think it was the tank that failed.

And I consider any rupture of a tank a failure, whether the bottle of the tank seperates from the neck and valve, the tank completely grenades, the tank tears open, etc.

That doesn't happen all that often and Shane-O is right.. for the most part the injuries from tank systems (and mostly HPA) was due to the valve unthreading from the tank and the tank then shooting off when the valve was still connected to the gun.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
I[t] caused combustion in the tank (diesel effect).
Which is not something you will get with a CO2 fill, oil or not.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #45 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Not until we find a way to make fire inside of a tank with no Oxygen, but aren't 13ci and 22ci tanks exempt under the 2x2 rule if so marked?

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #46 (permalink)
BOOM headshot!

It's probably been posted here before too, but here's the link on a5og, since I believe everyone needs to be aware of the dangers of oil in the fill nipple.

Hpa Safety!!!

But it looks like it was mostly the reg that failed. The neck is damaged where the reg separated, but the bottle itself didn't tear or fragment (from what you can see in the pics, at least...)
My feedback: MCB / a5og / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #47 (permalink)
Cocker Lover

Ah yes there it is. Thanks for posting. It wasn't the whole tank like I thought I remembered but... ouch!
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #48 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Not until we find a way to make fire inside of a tank with no Oxygen, but aren't 13ci and 22ci tanks exempt under the 2x2 rule if so marked?

E
Yes, it's for 3AL tanks. Either the lifespan is not in there or I keep missing it. Most of the other tanks have a 15 year lifespan. What is an "old" 13ci bottle at this point? Are they over 5 years now?

This paper on high pressure combustion gets pretty deep, but there are some interesting bits, like the diesel combustion curve, near the top.

http://myweb.clemson.edu/~rm/PDF/bookchapter.pdf

I forgot that the actual ignition pressure is only a few hundred pounds, but on a fill you are waiting for the heat of compression to make it into that window, so your start pressure can be much higher.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:

E
Im fairly certain there an addendum elsewhere in the reg book that states the 2x2 rule only applies to tanks of 1800 psi or less. Which wouldnt include air
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #50 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Im fairly certain there an addendum elsewhere in the reg book that states the 2x2 rule only applies to tanks of 1800 psi or less. Which wouldnt include air
Hmmm, that's news to me.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone