mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

New sillyness from PMI --> .55 cal paint and guns

http://apg.cfw2.com/article.asp?content_id=8580

More for less, and less is more, with the new Maxx 55 and the new SportShot game. Unique to both is PMI .55 caliber marking ammo, adding a new element to this paintball-type of game. At .55 caliber, each ball is 19 per cent smaller than a .68 caliber paintball. The smaller ammo costs less, so the price per shot goes way down--and so does the weight of the ball. With lighter weight balls and SportShot's lower velocity, the impact energy from a hit goes way down, too, while keeping all the action adventure in the game.

I don't know but I think PMI is a bit off with their marketing with this. I hardly think people would be interested in yet another type of paint and paintgun to fire such paint.

The .55 cal is not much bigger then the .50 cal used in 3357's and if they are interested in such things as smaller ammo cost less, and weight of the ball, blah blah, why not go airsoft?

Below is an ad copy of what their latest looks like.
http://apg.cfw2.com/assets/images/site/apg/mk0604-1.jpg
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

It'll just turn out like the early .60 cal paint. No one will buy it, and it'll wind up as another paintball flop IMHO. Stick to what works, if its not broke dont fix it.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

"SportShot is an opportunity for new players to experience the fun of the sport in a more controlled, user friendly, and back to basics format. We feel this will help expose more players to our sport, and assist to infuse a breath of fresh air into the sport we love at a time when it needs it most."

Sounds like playing with a pump to me .

The only real advantage I could see to .55 caliber paint would be that you could shoot it at higher velocities than .68 cal and still have the same impact energy. Of course since the balls are lighter they would lose momentum faster so I'm not too sure you could get any better range or accuracy out of them.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
when it needs it most.
Missed that part. What exactly are they trying to tell us? What do they mean by that?

Do they mean $$$ to PMI at a time their sales are declining and trying to impose a specific caliber paint that at this time only PMI guns can shoot and that paint only PMI makes??

Last edited by mike31c; 04-16-2006 at 10:43 PM.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

Insurance is most likely not going to let them firing at a high velocity. So most field owners would not let your chono in higher.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
I've porked many

It sounds like a waste of time to me. If they wanted to make paintball more affordable, why not just lower the cost of their 68 caliber paint?

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

"PMI believes there is a substantial opportunity in bridging gap between the current airsoft market and the established .68 caliber paintball market. In order to do this, PMI evaluated the potential customer and their impression of paintball, with the goal of preparing a product offering which would be very attractive."

I guess thats there idea.

I dunno. They will be making paint for this for a long time I think..since RPS is pmi and PMI is making the gun, and RPS paint is excellent...this thing could actually end up working. Depends how far it shoots, and at what velocity. EDIT- says 260 FPS and that they weigh half of what a 68 cal PB does. Range anyone? If the ammo is cheap it could be something that would be alot of fun to play with my little brother.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I wondered when I saw that article too, are they shooting for the prime 7 to 10 year old demographic? It seems to me that this has the disadvantage of airsoft's light projectile without the saving grace of high velocity and the disadvantage of a paintball's slow speed without a paintball's mass.
IMO good 50 cal paint(back when there was such a thing) flew as well as 68 but it wouldn't break past 40 feet unless you hit something sharp with it... like a needle or a razor blade

On the other hand the pistol lover in me wants to see a nice compact semi pistol, that's the true potential for this to succeed. Put this paint in a semi-auto pistol that holds a dozen or so and gets 40 shots off of a 12g and you've got something!!!
Then you could just market it as "it's supposed to have shorter range, it's a pistol!"
I'd like to see a system like rap4's 17glock or new 226 sig in this paint. I'd buy that! but not in some mini-black maxx, ew.
I guess they are trying the same as tippmann with the C-3, shooting for the outlaw market as the economy supposedly forces paintball back into the woodlots.

Rob
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

I like this slogan better:

Save money, Don't miss!
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to Snyiper Send a message via Yahoo to Snyiper

They keep making paint smaller and smaller it will all be 55 cal before too long!!!

Players "Play the game with Honor and Dignity or just wipe cause you suck"
Snyiper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone