mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
I'd take an ion over a shocker or a dm in a tournament any day of the week. That's pretty PBNish to say that just because a marker is inexpensive that it is unfit for tournament play. Have you ever actually shot an Ion?
Dude, I was making a joke about the advertising. Like saying that wearing the right cologne will allow you to pick up supermodels or drive sweet cars.

However, At the end of the day it is a low end marker not fit for a season of hard tournament play - although the add is making it look like a superstar marker.

Name me a top pro, semi-pro, D1, D2 team that uses Ion's and play consistantly on Sunday and I will amend my post.

It was really just a joke about the adervtising though - but I suppose I could support my joke with emperical data.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

To be fair, I wouldn't use anything by SP. That's just me, in protest of their heinous business practices. If I could find third-party freak inserts and buy a Frantom barrel or get Doc Nickel or Rainman to make a few backs for all my 'guns, I would be a very happy camper.

Anyway. if I ignored my SP prejudice, I'd take a well-cared-for and -modified Ion over anything off the shelf. But an off-the-shelf Shocker or Nerve versus an off-the-shelf Ion? Shocker/Nerve, every time. They just always seemed better made, and less finicky.

Plus, most teams sponsored by gun manufacturers use what the sponsor tells them to use. Give a winning team Ions, and kids will be more likely to choose the $200 Ion over the $1200 Shocker, and SP doesn't want *that*.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley View Post
And I honestly think that the problems folks seem to have stem more from them not liking SP than them having valid issues with the commercials. I would bet that if the same things were made but by their favorite paintball company they would be praising them to high heaven. But of course folks will probably try to deny thatů.
Nice generalization. I WILL deny that.

I had VALID issues with the commercials. The fact that it was SP had NOTHING to do with my opinion.

My post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtt View Post
Yeah... no skill and honor... just a new gun.

It's very sad that this message is in their marketing scheme, in my opinion.
If MCB had this message in ads for something or on a T-shirt or something... I'd be pissed at MCB too.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to paulc

The Punishers Paintball team was using Ions for a while, and they were rather successful with them. I'm sure now that the new shocker has been released they're using them now though. I'm an Ion, Shocker, and Nerve owner, and when I play, the order in which I use my guns is: Nerve, Ion, Shocker. The nerve is just sex in every single way, but I like shooting the Ion more than I like shooting the shocker, and I generally get more eliminations and have fewer problems with the Ion. Its a nearly stock Ion, with the only notable changes being a $3 QEV and the maxflo off of the shocker. I have and will continue to walk onto the field in tournaments with the Ion for the same reason people walk on with pumps. They perform to the point where they get the job done, and that's all thats needed. The ion don't make be broke either, and thats a big plus.
And reading the yammering going on between the members? I think the sole purpose of PBN is to just make everyone @ MCB (and the pog, phog, pgpog, etc) feel better about themselves. It never ceases to amaze me that people can be that stupid.
paulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I can easily seperate the advertisment from Smart Parts. I'm not just being biased towards the company. If I saw CCI or Palmers make an ad this crummy, I'd still be the first to make fun of them.

If anything, I have a bias against anything made with bad CGI. Lord of the Rings...yuck.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
C4 Founding Member

Send a message via AIM to BLC_Misfire Send a message via MSN to BLC_Misfire Send a message via Yahoo to BLC_Misfire

My only real problem with the ads, is the attitude that they are going to restore honor to the game. As sponsors for tournament teams they have taken part in the increase of 'treachery' in the game. I'd be just as upset with the ad if it was WGP, WDP, PMI ....

As for the quality of the ad, I'm not in the ads intended audience so what I think really doesn't make much difference. The ad is aimed at teenagers for a reason, they're the ones that spend money on new setups every year or so.

For the most part, I'll continue to spend the extra money it takes to get PPS stuff. Besides the quality I get, I like the idea of supporting a small company with values that closely match my own.

BLC is the team, Misfire is the name...
BLC_Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #27 (permalink)

i just like how the "bad guys" are shooting wgp style guns. its like smart parts is beating an almost dead horse. but what i found more bothersome is that the kid is only wearing half a mask.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
Steve

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC_Misfire View Post
My only real problem with the ads, is the attitude that they are going to restore honor to the game. As sponsors for tournament teams they have taken part in the increase of 'treachery' in the game. I'd be just as upset with the ad if it was WGP, WDP, PMI ....
I still give Smart Parts more credit than anybody for perverting the game. In my mind it starts with the All-Americans using Turbo mode on the Shockers... that was deemed unsafe and not legal in tournaments as it took away from the necessary skill associated with "professional" paintball. "Professional Paintball", the very term is a joke because so few "pro" players understand what the very word professional means! Wait a few years, call it ramping mode and suddenly everybody loves it...

All modes have done for any of us is cheapen the sport... it's all as dirty as Turbo and it all stinks!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
Dude, I was making a joke about the advertising. Like saying that wearing the right cologne will allow you to pick up supermodels or drive sweet cars.
TF
Says you. I got some sweet musk cologne from my auntie and now I'm picking up stale whores in my Reliant K every night!
BlindeSeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
The Punishers Paintball team was using Ions for a while, and they were rather successful with them. I'm sure now that the new shocker has been released they're using them now though. I'm an Ion, Shocker, and Nerve owner, and when I play, the order in which I use my guns is: Nerve, Ion, Shocker. The nerve is just sex in every single way, but I like shooting the Ion more than I like shooting the shocker, and I generally get more eliminations and have fewer problems with the Ion. Its a nearly stock Ion, with the only notable changes being a $3 QEV and the maxflo off of the shocker. I have and will continue to walk onto the field in tournaments with the Ion for the same reason people walk on with pumps. They perform to the point where they get the job done, and that's all thats needed. The ion don't make be broke either, and thats a big plus.
Now there are plenty of affordable and adequate guns out there, if you want the one made by the sue-happy, rainforest wood furniture owning, child-like cartoon commercial producing, ultra-bounce mode pushing, plastic shelled gun making company, then i hope you're proud of yourself.

The problem with Smart Parts is their business ethics. Why support them when there are better people out there (Look what they did to Tom Kaye...)? I liked the below statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC_Misfire View Post
I like the idea of supporting a small company with values that closely match my own.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone