mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Smart Parts Hits an All Time Low

Some commercials geared at showing off the new "Epiphany" marker were displayed during the ESPN aired Smart Parts championships. Apparently these are aimed toward 12 year olds that love cheesy anime but it's pretty pathetic nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrj6z...elated&search=
NSGSplatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to paulc

I've seen this on another site before, and I think that you're missing the point a little bit.

I don't buy a scion and expect it to drive through a cgi city and magically change parts. In the same way I don't expect a CARTOON for a paintball gun to be in any way realistic. Seems to me smart parts did what they wanted, and got a reaction from you. Thats the nature of advertising, getting the people who see the advertisements interested in the product. I can tell by the tone of your message that you aren't a fan of SP stuff, but now you know that they have a new product on the way, and wether you want to admit it or not, you want to see what it is. Personally, I love SP. I've got 4 SP guns. 2 Ions, a Nerve, and a Shocker, and I'm a former shoebox owner. I love my SP guns because no matter what I do to them, so long as I lube them at the end of the day (the nerve doesn't even get lubed) and rebuild them once a year, they just work. SP has angered a lot of people with their legal exploits, but the fact remains that they make a great product. I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from both sides of the fence on this one, but I think that the way you've approached this is going to cause a lot of very heated responses. When I first read your response, I must admit I was a bit taken aback. I'm not 12, I'm certainly not a fan of anime (which is much different than cgi, fwiw), but I'm still interested. I also don't see how SP has hit an all time low with this. The commercials were on during a televised event. Paintball doesn't make tv all too often, and I think its great that the sport is getting out there and that we'll get some new people into it. Sure, we'll end up with a lot more pbn kiddies because of it, but we'll also pick up some wonderful MCBers because of it. Might not be such a bad idea to hold off on the judgement for now
And reading the yammering going on between the members? I think the sole purpose of PBN is to just make everyone @ MCB (and the pog, phog, pgpog, etc) feel better about themselves. It never ceases to amaze me that people can be that stupid.
paulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

The ad didn't offend or bother me. I was kinda hoping to see what was going to happen next after episode #2.

What are the demographics that the ESPN show is catering to? I bet it'd be something like: 18-24 year old males, w/ some disposable income, intends to buy a new marker within the next 12 months, rather play speedball then woods, enjoys video games, enjoys anime, etc.

If that's the case then more power to SP. I'm sure if it was an OLN program the ad might have had a different look to it.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Striker9

The only thing I didn't like was how in Part II he says paintball is no longer about skill & honor and victory is attained through "treacherous means." I guess it's somewhat true nowadays though.

Last edited by Striker9; 10-25-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You have to look at how advertising works. Thier target audience isn't mature people like us who don't buy stuff from advertising alone. Thier trying to hit up that teenage audience that lives for paintball. And a lot of the younger audience loves that crap. That, and I may be wrong but I believe anime/cartoon comercials are much cheaper then a well shot real life commercial. Then you have to remember how dumb and easily influenced the average person is.

AKA Snuggles Smith

Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5149
Do Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker9 View Post
The only thing I didn't like was how in Part II he says paintball is no longer about skill and honor. I guess it's somewhat true nowadays though.
Yeah... no skill and honor... just a new gun.

It's very sad that this message is in their marketing scheme, in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

I agree on the message.

Then again, if it wasn't just a paintball thing encouraging cheating I'd still not like it. That's just how I am.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Very distrubing! It will have kids leaping off of high rises all over the country.
Pardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Wow! That was a giant waste of time...those little cartoons were trash in all aspects.

I hate it when the PB industry does something this corny(even SP).

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
Very distrubing! It will have kids leaping off of high rises all over the country.
Yea, hes right, pbn will be deserted....what a shame...
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone