mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-29-2006, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Pumpkin Hunt!

What a great day!
I hate to sound like a broken record, but man, I had fun! It was rain with a little snow:

but it was great to get out after two weeks of missing(my longest patch this year) and there were 60 or so players at Hell Survivors for the Pumpkin Hunt. The rain didn't bother our little pistol/phantom squad of Bill(MagnumHan), Spaz6677(a friend from stockclasspaintball.com) and I as we moved pretty well and made some nice eliminations, Spaz got a nice shot from 60' or so putting two balls in a row with his phantom on a guy laying prone on the ground(that's the first the poor guy knew of our presence too).

Ed, Co-owner and airsmith extraordinaire got my zeus working for me by adapting a Tippmann trigger spring to the sear on my zeus. Here's him in his Bill Costume being threatened by the Splatmaster weilding Randi:

How many places can you walk up to the counter with a splatty and have them pull out a slamchanger and an ASA to sell you? (The ASA was for the rapide I believe, though).

It was neat for us to see a crew of small players, there was a 10 strong group of young ones out playing as a unit all about 4' tall, that I would have paid a million dollars to see all dressed as Ewoks

They had two adults, who were obviously experienced guiding them around and they really played well, I thought!
Good to see the next generation enjoying paintball! These kids were covering each other, calling for refs to paintcheck themselves, comunicating well and just generally playing standup ball. It would have made you guys proud to see the way these kids played the game.
What fun!!!! I complemented the Chaperones on the great behavior!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to MrBig

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Missed another good day at HS due to family obligations...

I will make it to an event...really I will.

Marc
Old 10-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

What kind of prizes did they give away? Free air refill, free entry, stuff like that?

Glad you had a good time. My local field used to have costume games for Halloween. Easter egg hunts on Easter, Turkey give aways on Thanksgiving, etc. Theme days are kinda cool.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

yes, roberto, it was good fun....i had so much fun with your zeus, like i said, even after using it at the sppl, i get a "two fold" look from people when walking onto the field with nothing but a pistol (it could be the lack of clothes though), they look at you like your either realy crazy, or just that damned good....and it was fun saturday pown' those two guys with the shockers and the one with the angle, all with nothing but a poistola, awsome man, i am so glad i have seen the way of the force now...just because it rips 20 a sec, and uses a 9volt doens't mean your an awsome player....i would say its safe to say that there is no marker out there that can replace years of experience on the field...

so thats agnet smith, spas, magnum, and walt all with pistols....hum, we need one more (hint-hint, nudge-nudge, mr. big) and we could play some five man tounries with nothing but pistols.....

oh and it was funny seeing eddie dressed as me....see guys, i'm semi-famose
magnumhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Ok, I got the hint. What kind do you recommend? After I off load these PMI-1s (hint, hint ) I may be in the market for more guns. A semi- pistol has always been in the future for me.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

tac 8's are really nice, but i have been having a great time with smiths zeus...its a g2, but he suggest a g1 or the miltech one with 45 frame...and of course smith can make all the neccesary adjustments to it, honin' 12g drop-out, excetra, soory rob if im giving too much away...

and yes, i do want the pg1, how far you live from the field???
magnumhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I live around Lansing. About 1hr 15min from the field. I just droped the price to $95 so jump quick before they are all gone.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

No secrets here, Bill, I had posted a thread on how my zeus is modded and I plan to do a new one on this PTxtreme you gave me to hack on, not that there's that much to it, flexhoning the barrel and the forward feed port are the bigs. I'm going to machine a little adapter to fit a phantom pierce pin where that junky PTX pin goes, and the tubing I found to cover the forward feed port fits!
Bill, I have to admit that the reactions I've gotten over the last few years are a kick, but when someone like you or Walt peeks behind the curtain and sees the advantages of going light, it's even more fun to share the tricks I've learned than to use them on unsuspecting Pballers

Honorable Shiba-Kun,
There were cards in ziplock bags strewn about the field, which could be redeemed for store coupons, entry coupons or paint.
Hell Survivors is a FPO field, but they offset that by giving free fills of air and co2, so no fill coupons

They have the buck hunt next weekend, I've got my horns ready!!! I love that stuff too, they have it all still, bunny hunt, st patty's day and of course veteran's day.

Mr Big,
As Bill said I'm sold on the zeus as the best pistol to use as a primary, it has problems like the other models in that class, but the fewest are milled in permanently. The Warsensor remakes of the zeus G2 have gone downhill from the original Armotech, IMO. They took the 45 grip frame and switched it to the Beretta 92(I guess they wanted it to be inherently less accurate), changed common threads to the bizarrest metric threads they could find, and tacked some lame weaver rails on the side and a square front trigger guard on the grip so it wouldn't holster as well. Not that I'm bitter I was able to grind up that 92 gripframe to match the 45, though.

Miltec is coming out now with a G2 which is pretty true to the original Armotech Zeus G2:

This is my primary for the last three years, 50,00 rounds of paint and once again going strong, with the new sear spring, BABY!

I'm picking up two of those Miltec G2's during the winter for backups($140 or so each, all Miltec Dealers should be able to get them). If you're willing to practice loading paint and co2 until you can do it without looking, you'll be a serious threat with any of the current crop of semis, though. Spaz was using a USP which had good potential, too, maybe a turbo valve,flexhone and get rid of that wierd stick that points up from the top of the magazine, which seems to be designed to catch on a holster and crush all the paint in the mag.

The best advice is to try them first MrBig, Bill was right, take our selection of zeus', PTX's, TAG8's and Overlords for a spin to pick your favorite and we'll help fix up any model you get.

Bill,
Maybe we should try an all pistol scenario team! ten guys each with a zeus and a launcher would be a serious roadblock!

Rob

Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
CCI Pistolier

I'm in for the all pistol team. Sounds like fun. I fixed the pin problem.

And the air problem
My new valve and spring setup.

It works great just like your zues. I can now also get 30 shots. I'm down to 8 second co2 changes but I'm still working on the paint changes. I might have to mill down the plastic on the feed port.

I want to make it out to HS one more time this year. This time nothing but pistol. (if it works this time)

-Spaz

P.S. Mr.Big Your more than welcome to tryout my USP while your at it.
spaz66777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Alright!
That looks awesome, you were right on about the pin and I'm glad the valve helped, I'll have to try an upgraded one in my zeus(once I figure out what will fit )

We were talking about velocity and this is one trick I use, I took an extra mainspring and nipped off small increasing lengths of 'shim spring' and now I thread them onto the back guide rod like this(small piece right by the brass end):

and I can swap them out to adjust my velocity ranges to keep myself shooting 260fps year round without having too much trouble from the 12gs or needing to have a dozen mainsprings, then I just dial in with the adjuster once I'm in the ballpark.

I'm up in the air about this saturday(remember HS is only one session on sat for the rest of Nov, then they close til April), but I hope to make it.
The SPPL(Scenario Paintball Players league) will be back next year I hear and the new OPPL(Outdoor Paintball Players League) is coming to Hell Survivors also I think.
It's like the SPPL, hour games, objectives to find and bases to control, but the OPPL is going to be a five man instead of a 10 man team, lending itself even more to pistol play, though I did alright at the SPPL qualifier with my zeus.
A pistol only team for the OPPL is the way I will go and of course you're invited, but at the SPPL I'm commited to play for the A5OG Great Lakes Rangers(I'm sort of an honorary member since I don't rock the A-5). I played for them at the qualifier but wasn't able to go to Oklahoma for the finals.
It was awesome to see teams like Smart Corps(having a few of the current Philly Americans and an allstar cast of former smart parts tourney players) and Tippmann Effect out playing smackdown woodsball, it was raining like last weekend too . In an irony Smart Corps won the SPPL finals in OK and the prize of ten Tippmann Markers! .

Well as they say at HS, see you in the Jungle!

Rob

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone