mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to afultz075

ATS guns?

I've become quite intrigued by these guns lately and have been considering picking one up. The engineering that goes into them just seems mind-boggling and the design is pretty unique. I know there are some people here who have used them and I have a few questions.
Are these guns overly complex to work on?
Are they pretty reliable?
Is the plastic they're made out of durable? What is it similar to? The material on stock mag frames, or A5 frames, etc.? Is it cheapo feeling plastic?

And most importantly, would you recommend one?

Any other insight you'd care to share would be appreciated.

Last edited by afultz075; 04-19-2006 at 11:32 PM.
afultz075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
terrible speller

Send a message via AIM to knightmare96

Very Durable Plastic, Feels like the Tac 8 stuff. Not incredibly easy to work on, lots of small parts. Its all doable, but you gotta be very careful on the oil you use, and make sure you have a working knowledge of them. Reliable on Nitrogen (never ever run one on CO2)

I would Highly recomend one, They are a lot of fun. (looking for one for myself now too Again)
Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
About the only good nelson semi-auto ever in production. It's a very pricey but cool looking setup.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I dig my AT-10. Very unique, very complex. I'm a tinkerer and do-it-yourselfer but these are so complex, I'd just rather send it to Gumby if it needs work. ATS knows more about them and how to make them work right than anybody else in the same way you'd be better off sending your Blazer/Phoon/whatever back to PPS for major work.

The plastic is the same as used on the Stingray/Tigershark, meaning you could run it over with a truck and it would be just fine.

The AT-10 is very compact. The others are a bit bigger. The AT-85 has a foregrip that hold IIRC 60 balls to feed into the 20-round chain-feed magazine. You can get an adapter for the magazine to mount a hopper on any ATS mag so you get the full capacity and quick refill of a standard hopper with the indexed ball feed of the ATS mag, meaning NO chops.

When you pull the trigger, there's a brief pause before it fires and you can feel the internal bits doing their thing. It sounds like 'ba-CHACK'. On F/A it's stupid amounts of fun. It tops out about 12bps. If you can hold it steady every ball will hit the same spot.

They're VERY friggin' loud also. I'd put mine up w/ my Vector and Rainmaker on the loudness scale.

HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Treadstone

AKA Fan
I liked my AT-85, the one with the fore grip, so much I picked up an AT-10, the shorty like HurtCows pic. Both have had a trip back to ATS for service, HPA upgrades, and both have come back working fantastic. I was originally skeptical about the guns, start up routines and maintenance and so forth, and feared they wouldn't hold up over time but I've had zero problems with only just very basic maintenance. Both guns being literally beaten on by my 13 year old and myself while in use. While most places won't allow the full auto feature the few times you get to use in on the field will bring a smile from ear to ear, its like being a little kid again.
Treadstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

I remember someone on MCB had a short clip they filmed of one of these firing. It made another gun added to the list of guns I want.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
I've had 3 at one time or another. They are facinating markers. I'll agree with the idea that you need to have ATS tune them and then never mess with anything on them ever again a'la a Palmer marker.

I never had any trouble with any of mine once they were up and running properly. (I also sold each one for more than I bought it)

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to afultz075

Good info guys! Thanks a bunch!

I just put one of my Blazers up for trade on the forum for one of these.
afultz075 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone