mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Whatever happened to the Aruba Open?

Anyone remember that. Oh, how I wished I could attend. Now that I really want to go, it doesn't look like they have it anymore

I'll be honest. I'm looking for some small amateur tournament scenes. Mostly because I see so many people complain about it... That the only way you're going to change it, is if you show up, and show the kids how it's done.

That, and to just have fun. Who cares who wins.... If you just have fun, then I think you've won already.

So I'm ready to try this experiment of mine next year.

I'd like to participate in some, but there will be other I can no way attend... But if we could get some groups together to play under the same flag, and have fun doing it, then I'm all for it.

They'll start to wonder how the same team gets to be in so many places at once

Anyhow... Back to the original topic.

Anyone know if the Aruba Open still exists? My searching skills isn't pulling up anything recent, So I'm thinking no.

CB
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
I shared a few drinks with the organizer of that event at the industry cocktail party at IAO a few years back and I got the impression that the whole event was a money-losing event that he did for advertizing purposes.

Maybe he has, like all the other paintball industry leaders, re-evaluated his advertizing strategy, but I do not think they are doing that anymore.

Still, there are alot of tournies in fairly exotic places (PITTSBURGH!) that I am sure you would enjoy.

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Yup.. We need to get a 2007 list together...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would not like to go on a tournament tour, but I have always thought it would be cool to just have an informal club that simply found fields doing big games or special things and went. The problem with me is funding though. Maybe in the future that will change.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
It would be sort of both... I think we have enough folks that would like to to both, or one or the other...

Basically it will give people and excuse to get out... play... and just have a darn good time. (or so is the hope of all this)

Meet new people, and make new friends.

People will go to only the ones they wish to attend. And this way, the folks on the west coast can start their own get togethers that those of us on the East coast will want to travel out to if we could ever make it/afford it, and visa versa.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
And this way, the folks on the west coast can start their own get togethers that those of us on the East coast will want to travel out to if we could ever make it/afford it, and visa versa.
What about us poor Michiganders stuck in the middle? Seriously though, I have been wanting to get a team together for a while and hit some events but my guys aren't very motivated and it just hasn't come together yet. (we played a tournament once, but it was many years ago). Anyway, I'd like to hear your ideas on this stuff. It almost sounds like you want to cover the country with MCB affiliated groups, which might be a cool idea.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I haven't worked out all the details yet WilD, but yeah.. something like that. We have some name recognition, and I would like to get more like minded people together, and give us all an excuse to go out and play.

Also, I bet there are some great events or tournaments I just do not know about, but would like to... and possibly even attend!

And this is probably one of the only ways I'll ever find out.

Figured we could all fly the CC flag, and make people wonder how we're in so many places at once :P
Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Lat one I know of was two years ago the eclipse factory team red walked away with both top spots.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
a.k.a. FullSpinPaintball

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I played some tournaments in Colorado back when I attended the AF Academy, and I had a lot of fun. This was in the 2001 - 2004 timeframe. I started out shooting an SP Impulse, and later upgraded to my GZ Intimidator. What I found was that as time progressed, the attitudes and tempers got worse. Even when we fielded two teams from the Academy, one team would end up getting angry at the other when we faced off (played in same division). It seemed to me that the general quality of the field refs had a LOT to do with it, but larger than that, the general attitude of the field owners was: "shoot lots of paint, I don't care if you don't enjoy yourself, and I don't have to bother keeping rules/rulings consistent..." That may sound like a whiny rant, but it soured my experience significantly. Now that I'm in SoCal, I had a chance to play at one of the OSC Pump Challenges, and THAT was fun. I wish unique tourneys like the Pan-Am Stock Class would make a comeback. I wonder what it would take, logistically, to make that happen?

** Spin Doctor's Paintball Page
** MCB Feedback
** PBN Feedback
** PBN Feedback (old)

Agglet re: Frink: "Much like a newborn baby your collection is both beautiful and disgusting."
russc: "PBN is a business, and that's why they prefer thousands of morons to hundreds of intelligent posters"
drum: "Between the ammo shipments and all the long rectangular packages, not to mention regular mail from the Pa. Superior Court, my mailman is pretty sure that I am a freak."
SpinDoctor15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
My local field wants to run pump games next year, with enough support (read pre-regs) maybe we can get some fields to run an MCB tourney series.

Id play on a midwest CC tourney team.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone