mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Hand chosen rounds (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/6806-hand-chosen-rounds.html)

howling phantom 11-22-2006 12:26 PM

Hand chosen rounds

I just had a thought. If you choose the perfect paintballs out of a bag, you would have more consistency. You could dump out say, 100 balls. Have a calibrator or somthing that can check the size, and make sure there are few or no dimples or bumps. It wouldnt take long, and I believe, in the long run, you would attain a more consistent grouping of rounds. I mean, its the night before a day of play, why not?

Anyone ever done this? Am I speaking of something profound or jsut silly and a waste of time?

Thanks
-Jacob

Ir0nExpress 11-22-2006 12:32 PM

It's actually not that bad of an idea. It'd take a lot of time, but I think the end results would be worth it. I shoot about 200 ish rounds with pumps only, so ripping a bag open and handpicking them wouldn't be that bad. But it's more of finding the most efficient method in doing this.

Railgun 11-22-2006 03:20 PM

If I was a stock class pump user and used sights of some form on my marker I'd consider trying it. But for general use it's most likely more trouble than it's worth and for speedball it would be a total waste of time from what I've seen.

From my own experience with just a few sorts of paint so far I've also noticed that the paint is quite consistent..... Consistently ovoid unfortunetly.

shartley 11-22-2006 03:40 PM

It sounds good, but what happens if the humidity is different the next day? Even slight changes are changes.

In my opinion paintball is just not going to offer the things some want it to. The balls are nowhere perfect enough even if hand picked, they fly far too slow, and there are simply too many variables in the mix both from the ball and the marker. We have to settle for the best acceptable accuracy and overall usability.

It is what it is… have fun playing.

kidneythief 11-23-2006 02:20 AM

I have "hand picked" paint in my day and even though it helped 10 fold it was'nt worth the time. You dont simply check for dimples as most decent paint wont have dimples but you have to check to roundness. This requires measuring at least 4-5 times on a single ball...

-Jake

aqua_scummm 11-23-2006 03:10 AM

Just buy premium paint, and try to keep it fresh. Letting it sit out there while you find the right balls increases the odds they will change after you select them

Lenny 11-23-2006 03:11 AM

Hmm... If I miss the first time, I'll just shoot again. Much faster than hand picking them...

agentSmith 11-23-2006 09:02 AM

I do this every bag:LMAO:

Mostly I'm looking for bubbles, dimples and roundness. I play 10 shot pistol all the time and the one time everything lines up-- barrel, trigger timing and opponent, I would rather not have a paintball that looks like an M&M in the breech.

Alot of people turn their paint over 'to get rid of bubbles'.
IMO, all this does is move them away from the side they have risen to, to the middle of the ball where I can't see them, they don't reabsorb and they still affect the flight. So I don't 'turn my paint', I throw each ball away if I don't like it.
Taking a slanted board about 3' long and 5" wide(getting it perfectly level side to side) and rolling your paint down it will show you some bad ones too. If it won't roll down the board into a waiting carrier, it SURE won't roll down your barrel either.:cool:

None of this may really work(in other words I'm convinced and wouldn't bother to argue it;) ), but it makes me happy! Hell Survivor's likes it because I buy more paint.:D
Many of the bags I've gotten this year have been good enough that I haven't even bothered though.

I'm not going to pay to play and drive an hour to get there every saturday just to handicap myself with bad paint to save $$

I shoot an average of 300-500 rounds of paint a day and usually throw away less than 100 out of most bags of field paint I get.

Edit: it's actually as simple as loading my 10rd tubes thurs or fri night, as I sit in front of the TV with the little woman(I call her that cause she's short!)and grabbing four or five paintballs at a time from the bag and rolling them around my palm and giving them the skunkeye before I put them in the tube.

Rob

Rap4paintball 11-23-2006 09:17 AM

The fun of paintball is, no matter how good you are, how much you praticed, what you wear, your marker, even if you spent 100$ on a bag of paint. Wither it was a lucky shot from 100 foot away, or from 50 foot away, curved around your bunker and hit your barrel, it still only takes one shot to eliminate you.

agentSmith 11-23-2006 10:05 AM

Oh yes, it's simply a matter of improving the odds in my favor, no way a sure thing.

Rob