mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 04-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
I think they cost .15 each at wevo, but they might also have a different supplier.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I don't see anything wrong with SpecOps, they are just a retail business trying to market products in a way they think will increase sales. It is a fairly basic tactic in marketing to use the most excitting names possible to generate interest in an otherwise dull product.

On a related note, the website they provide players, I believe it is called the "SpecOps Brigade" is a nice service for casual players. I don't really use it but it is a very nice way to network with other players in your area. It reminds me of MySpace for paintballers.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

i've been trying to stay a bit quiet on this one, but i just finished the first year of my business program....

SpecOps, as said above by WilD is a business, and as a business, they wish to generate revenue, they have two ways to do that; through goods or service.
As they are a online retailer for the most part, so service is out of the question (ahDuhh!) so they need to make their revenue on goods. Unfortunately, they have to cost all of thier inventory, and find their inventory turnover ratio (how many times per year they sell out their standing inventory.) this cannot be done with all products at once, so it is generally classed into a few categories, in this case, it would be in order of how frequently inventory is turned over.

now, for items that tney don't sell alot of (such as 10rnd tubes and other 'rare sellers' ) the inventory cost goes up (they have to warehouse it after all).

then why carry these 'rare sellers'? consumer loyalty. one of the cardinal rules of holding onto a customer base is making sure that they do not go to a competitor for anything that you could reasonably supply.

then we get into the specifics of marketing... all about product positioning and such, and for specops, their primary market is kids (effectively) who think things like being a 'sniper' are cool, therefore they go for it. it makes sense to market like that.

it doesn't make them right, it just makes them wise in the ways of marketing.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

As a business man myself I know a thing or two about “smart business”. And I can tell you that this term is very subjective, and is so on many levels.

Is it smart business what they are doing? In simple terms, SURE. But that does not mean we all have to like it or approve of it, nor sit back and say nothing because what they are doing is good for them as a business. Selling gas at high prices is good business as well. And so was much of what Smart Parts did. But we all don’t have to like or even agree with their tactics and extremely misguided minions.

I am very happy they were denied their attempt to trademark “Woodsball”. They are NOT woodsball, they are milsim. Let it be known however that I have NO issues with milsim. But again, let’s call a spade a spade shall we?

Do they have good products? Yes.

Are they dong what is best for their business? Yes.

Do we all have to like them or approve of what they are doing, or how? No.

Do I? No.

But because I am also in the paintball industry (even if just a small business) I will not get into all my thoughts on Special Ops here though.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley
As a business man myself I know a thing or two about “smart business”. And I can tell you that this term is very subjective, and is so on many levels.

Is it smart business what they are doing? In simple terms, SURE. But that does not mean we all have to like it or approve of it, nor sit back and say nothing because what they are doing is good for them as a business. Selling gas at high prices is good business as well. And so was much of what Smart Parts did. But we all don’t have to like or even agree with their tactics and extremely misguided minions.

I am very happy they were denied their attempt to trademark “Woodsball”. They are NOT woodsball, they are milsim. Let it be known however that I have NO issues with milsim. But again, let’s call a spade a spade shall we?

Do they have good products? Yes.

Are they dong what is best for their business? Yes.

Do we all have to like them or approve of what they are doing, or how? No.

Do I? No.

But because I am also in the paintball industry (even if just a small business) I will not get into all my thoughts on Special Ops here though.

My Brother and I run a shop as well, and from our business stand point, it can be blunt and sweet. We personally believe that from what they are doing is 50/50. The business point of their side is fine for them, but in turn bad for other retail stores. Pricepoint is what all of these online stores forget about. Profit margins are so low in this sport as it is; it's insane And having places such as SpecOps whore out (for the lack of a better term) products just to move product bluntly sucks for other stores that need to compete with that to keep their necks above water. So it is good for them bad for us (PB Stores).

I had spoken with Jim Korn well before they did this jump to where they are now, back when they were a small based company, and asked him his views about sales and Paintball in general. He simply told me that he wants to make products that sell based on todays market. I can somewhat understand that.

I was holding back my views on this, but I'll just come foward and type it. I personally believe that they will fold and shut down over a period of time. The market as I see it at the moment is slowing down as it did three years ago here in Florida. Resale Value is going down the drain on markers, and wholesale/retail profit margins are getting smaller and smaller to move more product. I believe that soon, things will start leveling off, and that there will be over stock everywhere. I'm seeing it happen already with Tippmann & Kingman. Like I said these are my personal views and opinions, I'm not looking for fights or anything.

I work for RPS as well, the Paintballs...that's a whole different topic.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

I think I'll sell some of my tubes on ebay, as Sniper tubes. Pay off the car sooner!
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
I've porked many

Maybe I'll spray-paint some of my tubes green and black and market them as Vietnam camo tubes to be used by true paintball snipers as no one can see you load. lol.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Actually, I know that was a joke but if they didn't cost that much more to make, if they had different colored 10 rounders like they have different colors and tints on pods, I think it would be kind of cool, escpecially for people with packs that carry a couple dozen of them. Sorry, random off topic comment.

Back on topic, another way to increase sales and the value of the company would be to create innovative independant products that no one else makes. Other than their interesting gun kits though, are they really? They're selling vests I suppose, but so are a few other companies, and in the long run I think more innovative and high volume products will help the company last far longer than jazzy names for the same old thing. Both will work for awhile, it's a matter of how long.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6

Last edited by Surge-NS; 04-30-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Besides selling some stuff that's cool (the cops vests) and other stuff that's just down right dumb.. what's even wierder is being at an event like Castle..and seeing guys with the digi camo with all of these little patches sewn on them that came from the SpecOps Brigade...that's just down right silly....

Of course that's coming from a guy who runs around the filed with a baseball cap and hawaiian shirt

And another thing... I wonder if Glenn knows anyhting about this
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
won't look at the camera

Fan of EMR
Okay, so what have we learned here?
-A retail company can choose to market their products however they see fit, as long as its legal.
-A consumer can then decide, based on this marketing(as well as other factors such as price point), whether or not to buy said products.
-Said company will either make profit and prosper, or lose money and fold.

All this in a free capitalist society? Who'da thunk it!
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone