mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Keep in mind you don't need a new tank, just a tank reg to solve the problem.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

If your paint is not consistent you can size each and every ball and sort it by size and roundness. I've never done it, but I've watched a few ghillie suit guys do it before a game.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to egyeager Send a message via Yahoo to egyeager

Measuring each ball? That is CRAZY. While I got mad respect for the dedication that would entail with my Open Class pump and SLG I highly doubt that would be so nessasary. I'd much prefer just to underbore a wee bit (just a bit) to be on the safe side so I don't have air escaping all over the place.

However if/ when I run stock class I will likely size up each ball.
egyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Unfortunately, all well documented testing shows that all quality* paintball barrels (underbored / overbored / paint matched, varying lengths, varying porting, etc.) shoot the same in terms of accuracy. At 100ft, 95% of your shots will land in a circle about 28" across. Provided you're not shooting crap (horribly lopsided or dimpled paint). At 150ft This circle becomes 65" across. This is in indoor conditions with no wind. Sphere's are just that crappy of a projectile.

* quality: A smooth and even finish on the interior.

To be consistent- follow the advice above for getting your gun good to go (good regs, broken in, cleaned and lubed internals). Beyond that, you want to be underbored. This removes the effects of minor (and very common paintball lopsidedness).

The only proven thing to improve accuracy is the First Strike round: at 100ft, 18". At 150ft, 25".
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Yeah if only I could afford a T-8/ T-9 and first strike rounds. Oh wells.

How do you all clean your barrels? I generally run it under water and then use a pull through squeege (NEVER a fiber one. I have too many carbon fiber barrels to use that stuff).
Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egyeager View Post
Measuring each ball? That is CRAZY. While I got mad respect for the dedication that would entail with my Open Class pump and SLG I highly doubt that would be so nessasary. I'd much prefer just to underbore a wee bit (just a bit) to be on the safe side so I don't have air escaping all over the place.

However if/ when I run stock class I will likely size up each ball.
For sure the paint was crazy at one game. Some of the ugliest I've ever seen come out of a box. Some sub 0.684 and some more than .691; some too fragile to drop and some you couldn't break by hand. Dimpled, cracked, and lop sided. Just last year. Hell of a note for "event paint only". You would never get velocity consistency with that stuff without sorting it out.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Single best issue that will increase your accuracy is quality paint IMO. It doesn't matter how good your regs are, if your paint is inconsistant in size and shape you will not shoot accurately.
Quote:
Single best issue that will increase your accuracy is quality paint IMO. It doesn't matter how good your regs are, if your paint is inconsistant in size and shape you will not shoot accurately.
Quote:
I've quoted the most important piece of advice in this thread several times for emphasis.
Bonesjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
For sure the paint was crazy at one game. Some of the ugliest I've ever seen come out of a box. Some sub 0.684 and some more than .691; some too fragile to drop and some you couldn't break by hand. Dimpled, cracked, and lop sided. Just last year. Hell of a note for "event paint only". You would never get velocity consistency with that stuff without sorting it out.
And here I thought my Academy tub-o-paint was bad!

Also it seems like some of the barrels that I really like (Palmers and CCI I have heard and very, very smoth on the inside) are also fairly large bore (well a bit too large for marbs from what I have heard although I could be wrong).

I think everyone can agree terrible paint makes you want to cry a bit inside
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
YS-OFG

Really, try a Sanchez barrel with a .679 insert, or a Scepter at .680, or something like that. The Python kit is ok, but the rest of your barrel is huge by comparison. I personally can't say I like Carbon Fiber much, either... great for a barrel front, but as a bore surface, very mediocre. I like to squeeze my paint too much.

The Sanchez will definitely be as good as a CCI or PPS barrel as far as quality.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
flyweightnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
drg
Banned

The best way ... is to fall asleep and dream about it, because +/- 1 is a fantasy.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone