mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #51 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo chicken View Post
mic all of your paint
on three axes

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #52 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
I'm well aware of that test and it doesn't test with paint quality as a variable.
right, we were looking at barrel variables. I have and always will agree that paint is the largest and possibly the only significant actor on accuracy. (other than clean equipment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Check this thread over on Punkworks/Tech PB:
paint to barrel match test - TechPB Forums
thanks.

Ok, so as someone who's spent most of two years crunching the numbers and talking about this stuff - I want to point out a few things.

1. we have found that at distances out to 100' there is no statistically significant change in impact location with velocity fluctuations of up to +/- 15 fps. So, while a consistent gun by definition HAS to have some effect on accuracy - based on our testing +/- 10 fps is just as good as +/- 2.8 fps (the best we've found (Odin - you got a SD of what 2.2 on your A5 - right?))

2. +/- 1 fps is a unicorn. I've seen the one-horned mutant goat at the ren-fest, so I suppose unicorns exist, but not in the "real" way. yes, some guns will shoot strings very very consistently. I was asked twice at a big game if I was shooting paint over a chrono during chrono checks because the red box kept reading the same number over and over. However, I really have to challenge anyone making crazy low number claims to record a longer string of shots. 20 is my minimum.

3. Overboring and Underboring both will give more consistent results over the chono than paint to barrel match - simply because the interaction of a huge and of a tiny barrel with the balls will remain consistent with each ball. Every ball will either be tight or loose. Paint to barrel match will allow the inconsistencies of the ball to effect the velocity - larger balls will exit the barrel faster, smaller ones slower.

4. two piece barrels seem to be slightly more consistent than one piece barrels. I think it's due to the large bore of the tip. This is a very marginal improvement - but seems to be consistent. My theory is that the control bore portion get the ball up to speed - while the overbored, ported tip acts as a buffer - reducing any variations that occur during the acceleration.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #53 (permalink)
Reinventing the Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
right, we were looking at barrel variables. I have and always will agree that paint is the largest and possibly the only significant actor on accuracy. (other than clean equipment)
Good information here. What kind of chronograph were you using?
LoopyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #54 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyDood View Post
Good information here. What kind of chronograph were you using?
Shooting Chrony. same as Lord Odin - +/- .5% 30-5000 fps.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #55 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
1. we have found that at distances out to 100' there is no statistically significant change in impact location with velocity fluctuations of up to +/- 15 fps. So, while a consistent gun by definition HAS to have some effect on accuracy - based on our testing +/- 10 fps is just as good as +/- 2.8 fps (the best we've found (Odin - you got a SD of what 2.2 on your A5 - right?))
Do note that the question is about velocity consistency per se, which is why I mentioned that bore size may be more important than paint for achieving that.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #56 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Do note that the question is about velocity consistency per se, which is why I mentioned that bore size may be more important than paint for achieving that.
yes, absolutely - I was just adding a note on the topic at hand. obviously we would all love our guns to be perfectly consistent. But, the reality might be that the goal has no real-world improvement in the performance of our equipment.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #57 (permalink)
drg
Banned

Quote:
yes, absolutely - I was just adding a note on the topic at hand. obviously we would all love our guns to be perfectly consistent. But, the reality might be that the goal has no real-world improvement in the performance of our equipment.
Well the OP did mention that his -personal- accuracy is improved, perhaps a tip of the hat to such empirical findings. I get that, since the shooter is potentially the largest variable in the whole accuracy equation.

Tight velocity control has other potential benefits too, such as better breakage if you do happen to hit a target, the ability to run higher average velocities, etc.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Yeah, I have but those were with Reballs. Reballs are more perfectly spherical than paintballs and fluctuate in their size less. If memory serves me well, I don't think I've gotten that low with paintballs before.
Lord Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #59 (permalink)
drg
Banned

I managed 2.5 with unsorted paint over 20 shots during one of the pulls I did during the powerlet tests ... I think 2.2 is plausible. Underboring is IMO key.

Snipers on 12 grams / on CO2 Discussion
Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #60 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
I managed 2.5 with unsorted paint over 20 shots during one of the pulls I did during the powerlet tests ... I think 2.2 is plausible. Underboring is IMO key.
yeah, that best number I mentioned of 2.8 was using a 679 freak kit on an Emag. great valve system, very small barrel.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone