mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

View Poll Results: Is is worth $1000
Yes 5 7.69%
No 42 64.62%
Depends on marker 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
I got 99 Problems

i'm definitely agreeing with the depending thoughts...

a limited run marker... that is truly high quality, and high performance.....
maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
I'm gonna pop some aggs.
Only got 20 rounds in my pocket.
I'm huntin'
Looking for some cover,
This is ****ing awesome.
moving_target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
I do what I do

Send a message via Skype™ to gerth21

I'm talking about the mass produced stock markers. I would gladly pay for custom work, because I realize the input. I also realize the r&d that goes into a marker. I just think the only reason that manufacturer's think a mraker is worth $1000 is that people actually buy them.

Don't worry, I'm not crazy....
gerth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Considering I used to be privy to dealer costs and manufacturing costs I can say they are not worth anything near 1K.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I like how this poll isn't anonymous so we can single out the heretics.

Party...we're coming for you.
Indeed.

No, honestly though, I have a slightly different approch to this question then everyone else seems to be taking, particularly in how I define "worth". Given that, yes I would say that those markers are "worth" that amount of money.
Now, I know full well what the OP meant in his question, however I do think it's rather silly and a bit petty.

Every product on the market has a certain amount of a markup to it. Some more then highend markers some less.
And it is true about where the cost are in manufacturing a product once you have all the R&D done. Going to the example brought up in the first post, how much do you think a computer actually costs to make? Far less then the sticker price, although I would indeed still say it is "worth" that much. You want a nice computer, and that's how much your going to have to pay to get one. If your still willing to do so it is indeed worth that much to you, regardless of what the actual cost was to make it.

What the poll is really asking is "is it worth it to you" sitting right there, right now.
And given that this is a forum for the old and rare, not the glossy and new, and milled to look like a dildo, and that most people here already own a marker the like and are happy with i'm not supprised with the results in the least.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
I do what I do

Send a message via Skype™ to gerth21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party View Post
Indeed.

No, honestly though, I have a slightly different approch to this question then everyone else seems to be taking, particularly in how I define "worth". Given that, yes I would say that those markers are "worth" that amount of money.
Now, I know full well what the OP meant in his question, however I do think it's rather silly and a bit petty.

Every product on the market has a certain amount of a markup to it. Some more then highend markers some less.
And it is true about where the cost are in manufacturing a product once you have all the R&D done. Going to the example brought up in the first post, how much do you think a computer actually costs to make? Far less then the sticker price, although I would indeed still say it is "worth" that much. You want a nice computer, and that's how much your going to have to pay to get one. If your still willing to do so it is indeed worth that much to you, regardless of what the actual cost was to make it.

What the poll is really asking is "is it worth it to you" sitting right there, right now.
And given that this is a forum for the old and rare, not the glossy and new, and milled to look like a dildo, and that most people here already own a marker the like and are happy with i'm not supprised with the results in the least.
Haha sorry... I didn't mean this to turn into a great debate. I was just curious if I was the only one who looks at certain price tags and laughs. I understand the whole worth concept, and I understand where you are coming from. BTW I didn't make it anonymous just to make you have more than a reason of "just because." I'm glad we have both sides represented. Kudos to Party.

Don't worry, I'm not crazy....
gerth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Let's Go Mountaineers!

Send a message via MSN to SHOOT3R USA

Having owned the SL's, DM's, Bob Longs, I'm going to say yes.

They shot amazing, and I would pay that price for them new if I could afford them and feed them.

But maybe I'm biased because I would much rather sling paint than 1 ball, which is the same reason I had to stop playing.

MCB Feedback

Harb: SHOOT3R is genetically predisposed to be an idiot
Harb: he saves most of the idiocy for in here
SHOOT3R: so i was butt naked in this corn field right?
SHOOT3R USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
My problem is that when I pass a certain price threshold I cannot simply go out and enjoy a game with it, because I am too worried that I may damage it, and hurt the value. So in that respect, to me, there is no gun worth playing with for that much money.
I agree, which is why I tend to upgrade my less expensive markers. Or if I want a high-end I purposely buy a banged up one for even cheaper than usual so I'm not afraid to bang it up further. I rarely buy any markers brand new anymore.

Another reason I don't feel it's worth it is because most of those uber high-end markers are pretty much perfect out of the box. My markers mean more to me if I upgrade them and work them up to where I like them. I see little point in buying a marker that I can't put some work into and truly appreciate and be proud of.

EDIT: I will agree that custom work is an exception if you are a fan of custom work.

Last edited by glaman5266; 10-04-2009 at 08:51 AM.
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOT3R USA View Post
..But maybe I'm biased because I would much rather sling paint than 1 ball, which is the same reason I had to stop playing.
now thats funny..
Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Use to be here a lot

I think there are guns out there worth $1000. I do not think the mass produced Egos and DMs and such are worth that much though.
bryceeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think the worth of a gun can be found by how much it is being sold for used. I.e. you can pick up a cocker for $200. Well, cockers are over complicated and outdated (I still love 'em, but let's face it guys they were never even made to be semis). You can't find a PPS gun under $300. They are hand made, have a great company backing them and they shoot well.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone