mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Random draw tournament concept? Ideas and thoughts?

Copied to AO and MCB as well for ideas

I have tried to come up with different concepts to bring back the game as I remember it in a tournament format. At this time I am going to hammer out a concept, make the initial investment to make it work, and do it. So I am going to take some time and effort to hash out the concept.

To limit investment I am going to run it initially as three man

What I envision is a stock class pump tournament. Not enough people around here own pumps and are interested. To overcome this its my intent to get hold of half a dozen Phantoms from CCI and use them as "handout markers". They stay on the field and are simply rotated between players. I will have one or two as backup. Players will be permitted to use there own stock class equipment if they have it.

Teams will be randomly drawn. I am going to keep expectations low and assume you need a minimum of 12 players (four teams) and can deal with as many as 30. Assuming 12 players when you get there you will be given a number (similiar to those used when running) numbers 1-12. I will use a random draw method (I am hoping for a ping pong ball system) to draw the teams based on the numbers.

Intent is to gaurentee every team at least five games. So if we have four teams you would do a double round robin. It is also the intent to vary fields if the venue allows - to play both in the woods and on "tournament" style fields.

As you come on field you will be given 60 rounds and two twelve gram cartridges (though cost might make this end up being modified stock - ie constant air). Thus you have a limited paint tournament.

Prizes: Depending on amount of people who preregsister prizes will be limited. Prizes will not be given out on a team basis. I am thinking a "scoring" system. If you played in the game you get one entrance into random draw. If your team won, you get another, if you were alive at the end of the game you get another.

"It costs too much" I am thinking that I will allow two people to split entrance, and swap playing turns with each other to be decided by them. Essentially they will have numbers 12A and 12B. You will go as number 12 to a team but I will "score" you as 12A and 12B for drawings.

Entrance fee.... This is where I start to try to run figures per person

1 person 5 games =

250 rounds of paint = $5
10 CO2 tubes = $5 (again, you can see where constant air might be used)

$10 in consumed supplies

I figure to want at least four refs. What do refs generally get a day at this point?
Obviously field fees I will work out with the field owner.

I am hoping to keep this at $30 or $40 per person. My question becomes, would you play at that? At what point would you not play? Where is the tipping point - ie can I get $50 and still be "reasonable". What do I need to change? Ideas?
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 10-05-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
You're going to need to have the guns chronoed and checked out in between each match to verify that they're all equal.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
You're going to need to have the guns chronoed and checked out in between each match to verify that they're all equal.
The intent is to chrono them all in the same area, chrono them during breaks, and to randomly hand them out as people walk in. The intent is to simply call CCI and have a half dozen identical ones sent to me.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

why limit markers. keep the 50 round limit, but it shouldn't matter what marker the player uses. If you are not smart enough to not shoot 15bps then it sucks for you.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann View Post
why limit markers. keep the 50 round limit, but it shouldn't matter what marker the player uses. If you are not smart enough to not shoot 15bps then it sucks for you.
True, but unfortunately does not bring more players into the game. It also makes it less attractive to current stock class players.

Great idea! If I ever run into a sum that I could use for something like that in the UK, I'd definitely give it a go!
one.man.band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann View Post

If I am providing the markers am I really alienating any players by requiring stock class? If I can garner enough interest I may be able to recoup the initial investment by becoming a CCI dealer and selling some. This is not a get rich idea, but it would be nice if I could avoid losing money as a long term idea. If I have broken even after three years I would call it a success, if I was ahead of that timetable it might require looking into expanding the concept.

Would anyone be turned off if it were constant air rather than CO2 cartridges? Would more people be turned off by running cartridges?

Now I'm going to do what I generally fail to do and just watch for others ideas.

Last edited by Lohman446; 10-05-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

For me personally I just dont like handing markers out to anyone. I have a box of "loaner" markers & mask. The abuse that people give equipment that they do not own is heartbreaking. That imo is the only downside to providing equipment.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
drg
Banned

I would say keep the paint limit and random draw format, axe the stock class part. Just make it pump.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

I would not reward a player with another drawing entry for staying alive. Playing, yes and winning, yes. They are less likely to take the risks we all love if there is a greater risk involved. That's a common problem with games that reward remaining players on a team. They will do all they can to stay alive.

I love, love, love randomly drawn teams though. Nothing is more interesting
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Total wreath

CCM Fan
vicious just had streetball where they randomly pick teams
shredxcam is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone