mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #51 (permalink)
Young and Dangerous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceHead View Post
Airsofters are just like the paintball crowd... there's cool people and there's pricks. Its just the pricks are more loud-mouthed and get noticed.
I think you hit it on the head there. Most of the paintball pricks are electro toting agg-muppets who play speedball. For airsofters, it's the "if it's not milsim it's crap" people who tend to be pricks (although a good portion of the mil-simmers are pretty laid back). Really it's just the pricks are more loud-mouthed. Think about it, the top 2% of the worlds elites own 95% of the worlds wealth or whatever, they're way more prominent and "out there" where everyone can see them than Joe Schmoe down the street on welfare. As an aside people from other places kind of get an incorrect version of what "America" is, it's not the land of hope anymore and the "American dream" is an unattainable figure of years past.

TBH I was a bit reluctant to join a "pro" paintball community just for that fact. I just play recball/woodsball or whatever but what really ruins drop in days is people who are way too competitive. It's a drop in day for gods sake, it's not like you're playing in a tournament or it's like deathrace or battle royale.
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #52 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceHead View Post
I actually have joined a re-enactment unit since then, and am doing blankfire events. The $800 of gear is now up to around $1800, with another $1500 or so on the wish list

I didn't post more pics of the event, but the Germans had three BMW motorcycles with sidecars, a Kubelwagen, the panel truck, a Kettenkrad (half tracked motorcycle) and two messengers on horseback (complete with 1930s issue German saddle and tack).

WW2 airsoft is still small but catching on. There are lots of respectable German replicas but the Allied side is still lagging.

I agree and don't agree with your neighbor's experience. On one hand, if you're shooting for realism then restrictions must be kept tight. On the other hand, you have to make amends for those just getting started.
See, that's what I could get into.

Also, where the hell did you find a working Kettenkrad?! I thought there were only a few dozen of them still running, and most were in Europe somewhere.

Also, just as a nitpick, the bikes probably weren't actual R-71s, since they're almost as rare as Kettenkrads. They were probably a kitbash of BMW, CJ, Dpner and Ural parts, like the bikes from Montreal Sidecar. Still, pretty damn close!

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #53 (permalink)
Olde Basterd#2

CCM Fan
Kilt Fan
No & Don't have an opinion, but I am drinking right now so I thought I'd chime in. I buy an Air soft mag every here and there and one thing I noticed is that the guns are cheaper but the accessories are more. Meaning a top of the line gun can run you 350.00 but those guys get the best and most realistic clothes. They look like real Swat or military. My problem with air soft is it's relies on the others players honor way too much. Well I guess I do have an opinion of sorts. At the end of the day if thats what does it for you then go for it. I have more respect for that than say, .50 cal paintball. Feyd...........
Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #54 (permalink)
Young and Dangerous!

Ummm actually a top of the line gun will run you about $1500+.

A decent high quality gun that a lot of players seem to have are around $350-500.

It's like the difference between a crappy beater car that gets you around (like "rental gear"), a newer model civic ("your own personal gear" that's better than the rental gear), a sporty car like a G35, IS350, or Integra (that a lot of the "pro" players who play every weekend use), and a super car like a Ferrari or a Supra (which is the top of the line gun).

PS: I'm using USD pricing....
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Also, where the hell did you find a working Kettenkrad?! I thought there were only a few dozen of them still running, and most were in Europe somewhere.

Also, just as a nitpick, the bikes probably weren't actual R-71s, since they're almost as rare as Kettenkrads. They were probably a kitbash of BMW, CJ, Dpner and Ural parts, like the bikes from Montreal Sidecar. Still, pretty damn close!
I'm sure the bikes were kitted out but the effect is there.

The Kettenkrad was real but I don't believe its war dated. They made them for agricultural use until 1949.

Question: What are blankfire events and how are they played?

Blankfire is 'traditional' re-enactment... literally, shooting blanks and throwing inert grenades. Its the ultimate honor system. There are some simple rules as relative ranges, number of shots fired for kill, how close the grenade landed, etc but in the end its who shoots first with eye contact. Bear in mind that re-enactment is not a competition, its strictly simulation and half the time is loosely scripted (after all, we all know how the actual history went!). Its also painful... last event I took a resin rifle grenade to the helmet that laid me out! The firer felt bad... he was 60 yards away and wasn't trying to drop it right in my foxhole but I thought it was a hell of a shot

Last edited by LettuceHead; 10-26-2009 at 12:39 AM.
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #56 (permalink)
John Wayne-like charm

Thank god it was resin. Imagine if it was the real deal...
Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #57 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

In airsoft I have found that many play the game like they have only one life, some folks dont like it when you play like a paintballer. In paintball you have many "lives".

"When monkeys at the zoo run out of poop, they fling ICD guns."
-Risk Factor 2
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone