mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-19-2009, 02:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Sorta is.. as ROF went up prices of paint were on a downward slide......

50 Cal will only make people shoot more.

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
Rate of fire is what pushed people out.... not paint prices.

Beginners at work are more worried about "other people with machine guns" then what were charging for paint. I actually had a customer come up to me and ask if he could rent something faster because he felt out gunned... pretty sure the highest end gun we had out that night was a mini.

The irony is that Smart Parts, the boys in charge of GI-Milsim more or less, are the ones that broke the back of the consumers in the first place. It put cheap, fast, fully electronic guns in the hands of people which pushed the bar higher for the ROF gap. This opened up a pandoras box of sorts because now every one can afford to have the high ROF's of what used to be a sort of "exclusive club" of guns that cost $400 and up... when Ions first dropped they were ORginally 299.99 IIRC later droped to $250....

If you ask me honestly...... The Ion is what brought on this idea of "people cant afford to play any more" due to raising the ROF around already struggleing players. The funniest things are happening lately by me , instead of kids slinging a case a night at work (well atleast the ones that cant afford it) are actually going and buying pumps, shake and bake hoppers (gravity feeds) or in the strangest case...... going hopperless and actually shooting paint at people that was shot at them.

Innovation in the face of adversity.

.50 Cal is smarts parts bandaid for the gushing wound they already created in a market that rather adapt cheaply instead of buying more gear.
Wow. Couldn't have said it any better
Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daliz View Post
Wow. Couldn't have said it any better
Amen.
I would like to add that once again these agents of change are contributing more to the death of paintball than they are saving it. They want a troubled industry that has driven away the casual player who only wants to have some fun to change horses in the middle of the stream only so that they make money at the expense of their competion.
I believe the .50 cal Revolution is fizzling out already. The technical website has conceded that .50 cal paint is inferior in all categories. We are now expected to accept that this was just a normal marketing ploy and is quite natural of a start-up venture. Now is the time however, to get onboard and save paintball with cheap super high rate of fire low impact force bouncy short range paint suitable for 1st time players and females. Field owners replace your rentals now while you still have a choice.
BretG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
For what it is worth, here is one person who DOES NOT think that the sky is falling...

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
Quote:
If you ask me honestly...... The Ion is what brought on this idea of "people cant afford to play any more" due to raising the ROF around already struggleing players. The funniest things are happening lately by me , instead of kids slinging a case a night at work (well atleast the ones that cant afford it) are actually going and buying pumps, shake and bake hoppers (gravity feeds) or in the strangest case...... going hopperless and actually shooting paint at people that was shot at them.
I agree with you here.
I know with myself, my first electronic marker was an ION and it did bring the "firepower" that i felt that I needed for tournaments.
Now I have come full circle. Most of the time (about 90% of the time), I pick up my T2 or Superstock to go out and play paintball. My friends and I get alot of looks form the younger players when we walk out with our pumps where they, courtesy of the bank of mom & dad, have an ION. I'll walk out with the same amount of paint as them and usually (depending on what type of day I am having) get more eliminations then them.

The coolest thing I had happen lately is my friend's son asks if I can bring out one of my pumps for him when he comes out playing with us and he is getting more eliminations then his friends and uses 1/4 the paint that they use.
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over time.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Sorta is.. as ROF went up prices of paint were on a downward slide......

50 Cal will only make people shoot more.
And that is why, even if .50 cal took over the world, when you come to my field you would still be paying the same for 500 balls as you do now with .68 cal. Cause I don't want Ions, or any other technology, creatng havoc.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Am I concerned about people shooting more? Not in the least, I already don't play in open play - those idiots shooting even more means nothing. Am I concerned that some of the agglets who don't listen and are easily swayed will put some extra money in SPs wallet - hey, I think thats a coming of age thing in paintball. So in the end, who really cares. I am just sick of the agglets explaining how unquanitified observation trumps the laws of physics and quantified controlled tests.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cloud Cuckoolander

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGadget View Post
sorry, but hasn't this been beaten to death already ?
Timmycuddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Am I concerned about people shooting more? Not in the least, I already don't play in open play - those idiots shooting even more means nothing.
Sure, that's fine if you have the ability to play private games with people you know, but many, and virtually all new players, don't have that option. So although you personally may not be concerend about it, overall, we should be concerned.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone