mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Graf, I have a deathstix (1st gen) and the only issue I have with it is its lack of sizers. It is very easy to clean, and shoots very well. I also have a older stiffi, (not switch) and it is s very nice barrel as well. My issues with it are the lack of sizers (easily remedied by a switch set), and the outer barrel is a little rough. Not smooth like the deadlywinds or deathstix. I have used deadlywinds, and they too are very nice. Quiet, tough, and accurate.

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
I don't wanna die, I'm a god, why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies, all around is laid waste.
And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death.
p-bpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
..EDIT: BB, how was the Sly? Did the conical bore seem to make a difference?
I currently own bears old sly kit.

conical bore: I love my sly for playing in the rain.. It is the only barrel i've ever had that didn't go to hell in a hand basket once wet.

Shoot through breaks? I dont think so... marketing BS

But for regular play the sly kit is pretty average, but inefficient as hell. I drop 25+ fps compared to new kaners - and that is enough to damn near have to respring my junk.. and that ain't happening.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
...Wow...

I think the Sly is the most expensive barrel on the market right now, too.

Thanks, Thumper. The efficiency thing relates to sound signature, and I've been driving myself to quieter tools of mass destruction.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
IIRC the problem with swabbing carbon fiber came from the earliest CF barrels that had fairly large vent holes drilled in them, and that the fibers from the swab would catch there. The current CF barrels on the market all have smaller vent holes and so this isn't an issue.
With the exception of the Deadly winds, all other regular CF barrels have stated that using anything but a straight rubber squeegee will damage and void the barrels warranty. Deadly wind has some kind of proprietary design that allows it to use cloth or rubber squeegees. The mofo is aluminum lined. Unless something has changed Stiffi and Sly both still require rubber ones.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
It's the teflon coating on the internal diameter. Very thick teflon coating. Protects the inside of the carbon fiber.

Here's what I was told about the early CF barrels by a sales rep from stiffi. The early barrels had to be squeegeed with rubber only because the fiber would grab loose strands of cf around the ports and unravel it. That was only with early iterations of CF barrels. The machining process used to involve boring the barrels to size. Modern barrels are molded to size, or otherwise sealed internally, so that unraveling isn't an issue.

Of course, even knowing that, I would double-check with the company that you're purchasing a product from. Barrels are expensive!
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I did not care for the sly all that much. I liked the DW on my ego alot, but did not like it on my pump. And still waiting on the mofo kit to get here....
Big Bear27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
With the exception of the Deadly winds, all other regular CF barrels have stated that using anything but a straight rubber squeegee will damage and void the barrels warranty. Deadly wind has some kind of proprietary design that allows it to use cloth or rubber squeegees. The mofo is aluminum lined. Unless something has changed Stiffi and Sly both still require rubber ones.
I had asked this same question in this thread and got the response below. Posts 41 and 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Savage View Post
From what I understand it was just the first run, original stiffi barrels. This is all I could find on it right now. I had been asking about this awhile back trying to figure out the real deal and that seemed to be the answer.

SITE Inc. Stiffi Barrel | Paintball Review | pbreview.com

Taken from there

"Up until last year we did not allow battle swabs or any fluffy type swabs to be used in our barrels. It used to void the warranty. We did some research and found that is not that big of an issue and lifted the ban. When we first started making our barrels we drilled the porting different and the fluffy swabs used to catch and delaminate the barrel on occasion. We have since changed our porting process and it just took a while to convince upper management that it would not hurt the barrel. So the rumors were true until this year. The Redz swab is the one we recommend. Pass the word on that it is ok to use a swab now."

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
thanks for the new info, wonder if sly has changed there stance as well.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have shot little other than snipers for years. I have a switch kit for me, and an SM kit for my loaner/backup. The only complaints I get are from the players I shoot. I can live with that.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Owner of Crazy Cats

CCM Fan
I picked up a MOFO at extravaganza and I am pretty happy with it.
The thing that I really like about it is the sizer that comes with it that matches up with the control bores that you get with it. Makes it easy to size up the paint.
I find that the shorter control bore is "better" IMHO with pumps because i can run the sizer a little tighter then a freak and have less barrel breaks, one thing that did happen a few times with the freak when I would run the sizers on the tighter side.
The deadlywinds barrel isn't bad. Two of the guys I play with regularly love there's on their pumps. My one complaint with it is that they are a PINA to keep the bore looking clean after a while. One of my buddy's barrels looks like the teflon coating is coming off the inside.
I have "borrowed" a stiffi for a while and it was a really nice shooting barrel (we did go for a larger bore)

One to keep your eyes peeled for is the CCM carbon fiber barrel
Thunder Bay Pump Club
Dementia Paintball
MCB Feedback
EgoPossum is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone