mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Opinions on the MOFO and other CF Barrels????

I am looking at getting a CF barrel for my T2 and other cocker threaded markers... Mag, DSG, Garg... I really like what i have heard about the deadly Wind Barrels but DO NOT want Freak inserts....I like the idea of controled bores just not Smart Parts.... so how do the others stack up Stiffi? Hammerhead? Death stix? the HH seems to be the most interesting with its Fins and Bor Sizer and 50% of the Shark tooth barrel with purchase but how does it compare weight wize with its aluminum core? The death stix are definitly pretty ( iv allways been a sucker for skulls) but allso seem a little to flashy for my taste

Opinions? thoughts? Testimonials? Pics?

Thanks

Graf

IF you have every done buisness with me could i bug you for a little feedback?... I allways forget to ask
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.isthereazombieapocalypse.com/
Graf Orlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Captain Hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Orlock View Post
I am looking at getting a CF barrel for my T2 and other cocker threaded markers... Mag, DSG, Garg... I really like what i have heard about the deadly Wind Barrels but DO NOT want Freak inserts....I like the idea of controled bores just not Smart Parts.... so how do the others stack up Stiffi? Hammerhead? Death stix? the HH seems to be the most interesting with its Fins and Bor Sizer and 50% of the Shark tooth barrel with purchase but how does it compare weight wize with its aluminum core? The death stix are definitly pretty ( iv allways been a sucker for skulls) but allso seem a little to flashy for my taste

Opinions? thoughts? Testimonials? Pics?

Thanks

Graf

I was also quite against the freak inserts, but decided to go with a deadly wind anyway and have not been disappointed.

Very nice barrels and very tough, played a league game this weekend with lots of buildings and on two occasions jammed the tip into walls, walls came off second best.

In terms of other CF barrels, a friend of mine loves his invert nightstick, although it is a little bit of a large bore (0.692 I believe).

Another friend uses a stiffi barrel (0.687) and has nothing but praise for it.

Blarg Honk

ebe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lucky Charms, ZDF

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I have a Deadlywind I use with my cocker/sniper and my PMR. I think it shoots exremely well with the pump gun, and would recommend it hands down for yours! If you have a problem giving Smart Parts your money, you could always try and find a set of Freak inserts used.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
pump snob

I'm a pretty die hard pumper and barrels do matter..

for good round paint I'm a big fan of a slight overbore, with a long control back, two piece barrel, with heavily ported tip with everything that the ball might touch being ultrasmooth.

for pumpers, Ill add this : slight overbore w/ wedgits.

I believe Toms? / Glenns? testing shows the ball deforms some, and then drags down the barrel leaving parallel skidmarks in the foot powder.

So smooth matters. (and I'm not about to argue with them fellows)

When you look at an aluminum freak insert, it looks rough when compared to quality hard anno'ed aluminum. When I look down a barrel, I like to see a clean uniform mirror shine - (look up what folks say about the Titanium stuff)

When you look at he inside of an early generation of CF barrel they are mighty rough looking.
-----

On the other hard, when the paint (or weather) blows goats: Im a believer in a short control bore, then a quick step to large bore so the eggs don't touch the barrel so much (if at all) once they leave the control bore. This is why palmer's wedgited brass stuff has so many fans. Ill add this : It is pretty cool how water doesn't condense on carbon fiber...

-----
My picks:
good paint : new style kaner (7" control / 14" tip) and (slightly overbore : bore match + 1)
medium paint : old style kaner or dye UL (5" control / 12" tip) and (slightly overbore : bore match + 1)
crap : old style CF sly kit (2" control / 12" tip) and underbore one size
sub .679 paint : .682 wedgited new style kaner (7" control / 12" tip) *** I've been seeing a lot of this recently***
-----
And let the dog have the the deadly wind and anything smartypants ever made.

But like you, I'm interested in the reviews I hear on the MOFO - and look forward to trying one. contrary to what cockerdoodle says, there may just be something to a small spin to break up the post-barrel drag. The video suggests the hammerhead rifling can slightly spin the ball consistently... and there is no chance of CF touching the ball.

Back to deadly wind: now if someone made a nice set of brass inserts I think they make have something..

Last edited by thumper; 10-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Idiot Fanboy.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I have a Mofo on my S6.
Love it. Light, accurate, quiet. Don't quote me but I think it weighs around 2oz.s Mine has the mag tip, five fin kit .679 .683 .686 .688 .690 and I will be picking up the .693 to finish the kit off. Competitively priced with other CF barrels. It can be swabbed with a rabbit tail because of the aluminum rifled lining, so I see it as the best of both worlds, light and strong CF, easy to clean aluminum bore. Comes with a ball sizer, thread lube and a nice case.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed."
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_chemist View Post
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" is my motto

Last edited by shadawg; 10-19-2009 at 11:49 AM.
shadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks for the info guys

IF you have every done buisness with me could i bug you for a little feedback?... I allways forget to ask
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

http://www.isthereazombieapocalypse.com/
Graf Orlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq666 View Post
I have a Deadlywind I use with my cocker/sniper and my PMR. I think it shoots exremely well with the pump gun, and would recommend it hands down for yours! If you have a problem giving Smart Parts your money, you could always try and find a set of Freak inserts used.

Thats what I did

Brand new barrel, 3 inserts from right here on MCB: BST
The Kurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
It can be swabbed with a rabbit tail because of the aluminum rifled lining, so I see it as the best of both worlds, light and strong CF, easy to clean aluminum bore.
IIRC the problem with swabbing carbon fiber came from the earliest CF barrels that had fairly large vent holes drilled in them, and that the fibers from the swab would catch there. The current CF barrels on the market all have smaller vent holes and so this isn't an issue.

I use an Invert Nightstick on my A-5 and a Deadlywind barrel on my RT. They're both VERY light and very quiet (more noticeable on the A-5 though), and I get pretty good accuracy out of the Nightstick. There really isn't any point in talking about the accuracy of the DW since it performs basically like any other Freak barrel system, though it is a tad quieter, lighter, and definitely sexier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
  1. Learn of Zombie infestation. How? Who knows. Probably from the General Chat section off MCB
Wrathbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have a full kit MOFO on the way and I will let yall know how it does soon enough. I have shot a DW, Sly, and now I have a mofo on the way- will see how it does.
Big Bear27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
The performance of the DW is pretty amazing.

You get the versatility of the freak kit, but the bore of the barrel also has a thick teflon coating. I've had broken balls clear in one shot.

Trust me. I'm as anti-sp as you can get. But I, nor anyone here would hold it against you if you bought a USED set (I prefer the SS.) I just don't want SP to be getting any new money... !

EDIT: BB, how was the Sly? Did the conical bore seem to make a difference?
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone