mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
I absolutely do. Of course, from where I'm sitting, I'd have to drive 70-80 miles to get to such a restaurant. So that point is moot. I'm not going to pay $200 for a single meal, just as I'm not going to pay 6-7 a ball to play paintball-- not when I can eat a competently prepared multi-course meal for a quarter of that (not to mention less competently prepared food from a drive-thru for 5 bucks), and play paintball for 1.5 a ball.
Well, like I said, as harsh as it sounds, it's just as much about who you keep away from your field as it is about who you attract.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If there's a demand then there is a potential for a successful business. There are plenty of customers willing to spend $500+ a night at luxury hotels. That demographic isn't interested in staying at Motel 6. A plain jane motel can't charge $500 a night and expect the Ritz Carlton crowd to suddenly start booking rooms.

Personally, I think a destination paintball resort could succeed. The revenue model would have to include hotel/restaurant/amenities in addition to field fees and paint.
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrpie-CT View Post
If there's a demand then there is a potential for a successful business. There are plenty of customers willing to spend $500+ a night at luxury hotels. That demographic isn't interested in staying at Motel 6. A plain jane motel can't charge $500 a night and expect the Ritz Carlton crowd to suddenly start booking rooms.
Exactly. You have to create somethig there is a demand for. Just opening up an average paintball field like all the others in the area and then chargng a slightly higher price is going to do nothing but make you broke in a hurry.

But create something that is reasonably priced (a day of entertainment for $50 or $60) and control the element to make sure it's enjoed by your target demographic, and you have a chance at success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrpie-CT View Post
Personally, I think a destination paintball resort could succeed. The revenue model would have to include hotel/restaurant/amenities in addition to field fees and paint.
I'm not sure about that. Average (non-paintball playing) people are not going to book a destination paintball holiday and us paintball players are cheap, in general. There would be a market, but it would be pretty small. Definitely would be a risky investment.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

If the standard in the area is about $40/case (for example) then this field would HAVE to provide better facilities/refs/paint/food/etc. Basically if you're charging two or three times more than the competition then you MUST provide a better overall experience or you will fail.

If the standard in the area is closer to $100/case (like here in Canada) then that's absolutely not a problem.

Quote:
I would modify my driving habits so as to never even pass near a field that charged $120-140 for a case of paint. I don't care if said field had college co-eds give massages between games.
Now THAT field would be a massive success, I know I'd pay for that experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
  1. Learn of Zombie infestation. How? Who knows. Probably from the General Chat section off MCB
Wrathbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathbringer View Post
If the standard in the area is about $40/case (for example) then this field would HAVE to provide better facilities/refs/paint/food/etc. Basically if you're charging two or three times more than the competition then you MUST provide a better overall experience or you will fail.

If the standard in the area is closer to $100/case (like here in Canada) then that's absolutely not a problem.

Now THAT field would be a massive success, I know I'd pay for that experience!
Personally I think you would have a better chance of success if you had three competing fields selling at $40/case and you were the only one selling at $100/case+, than if those three fields were selling at $100/case already. In the latter you are competing with three othe fields for more or less the same customer base. In the former, you are marketing to a different type of customer than those that are already going to the other three fields. So if I were to pick a location for my new business, and those were my two choices, I'd rather compete with the $40/case fields.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I've always had an idea that's different from the current model, at least around here.

In my area if you bring your own equipment you can bring your own paint. The fields make nothing if the players BYOP. What they usually sell is to renters only.

My thought would be to sell good paint, and several brands, at normal store prices. HOWEVER...give the players a discount the more they buy. I know at least one paintball store that does this and it's so far been a good business model. Once you pass $100 you get 5% off, $300 10% etc. Players could keep track of what they spend with loyalty cards. The discounts would apply to future purchases as well.

I'm assuming if you have a field selling paint for $100 a case, it's field paint only. That's a pain in the @$$ to deal with. Your refs are chasing players around making sure they're not shooting "illegal" paint instead of doing what they're supposed to be doing; keeping players safe. It also sucks for the players...it costs more but a lot of times the paint is meh.

Making a field BYOP and also selling paint at equal prices or lower prices than anyone else makes people want to buy paint at your field instead of bringing it with them. You'll make it up on volume. The more you play at the field, the more you shoot, the less it costs.

Just a thought...

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Jaan I've wondered about that side of the equation too. Control rate of fire as Horizon has stated, through reffing not through pricing or tech. Charge a noticeable entrance fee. Around here the entrance is normally $10 - I'm thinking $50 - include a bag of paint perhaps? . Entrance includes rental but you don't get a discount if you bring your own. Then essentially run a store as well as a seperate entity at the same location. Normal "store" pricing on paint and other things. Make the field fees actually support the field.

That being said if I were to do it it would not be BYOP. I like to have some control over the product.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I would modify my driving habits so as to never even pass near a field that charged $120-140 for a case of paint. I don't care if said field had college co-eds give massages between games.
Are you sure about the co-eds? LOL

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Haahahaha since when is having the "reputation" of Skirmish considered a good thing? People tried talking me out of going there 4 years ago, I didn't listen, and now I try talking people out of going there too.

But to answer your question, I don't know. I think most new players will want to spend the least $$ possible their first time out, taking the standpoint that if they don't enjoy it, at least they're not sacrificing too much out of pocket. As for experienced players, if that field used DAMN good FPO, and didn't just mark the crap out of Chronic or some other such garbage, had a really awesome and varied layout, and exceptional reffing and customer service, I think it could draw a big crowd of those of us that are looking for exactly that. Big enough to survive? I'm not a businessman, I never have been and God willing, I never will have to be, so I don't know. It would have to be a very, very good field in all other respects though, to get me to pay those kinds of prices again.

Just like at a restaurant... I can forgive when the food at McDonalds is crap. I'm not so understanding if I'm paying $200 for me and my girl to go out to dinner and my steak comes out cold, you know what I mean?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Jaan I've wondered about that side of the equation too. Control rate of fire as Horizon has stated, through reffing not through pricing or tech. Charge a noticeable entrance fee. Around here the entrance is normally $10 - I'm thinking $50 - include a bag of paint perhaps? . Entrance includes rental but you don't get a discount if you bring your own. Then essentially run a store as well as a seperate entity at the same location. Normal "store" pricing on paint and other things. Make the field fees actually support the field.

That being said if I were to do it it would not be BYOP. I like to have some control over the product.
You can go that route, but why would you want to?. In the end, the customer is going to pay the same for a day of paintball and let's say 500 balls. But it makes it so much easier for a player to buy an extra bag of 500 when it's only $10 to $15/500. Now you've got a lot of people shooting 1,000 paintballs. Also, it's much more difficult to put physical retaints on players. At my field, i don't worry about equipment (other than it has to be semi-auto only). If a player wats to rip 15 bps, I usually don't say anything because I know at $120/case, he's not going to be able to sustain that.

So having low entry prices and higher paint prices makes more sense to me rather than the other way around. In the end though, every business owner has to do with what he/she thinks is best. Just make sure you think long and hard about what you are doing.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone