mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I see your point, it does give a margin of control without having to be too obvious about it... Sometimes having control without looking like it works better. My theory would have to be obvious about it, and is more likely to create hard feelings.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan View Post
I've always had an idea that's different from the current model, at least around here.

In my area if you bring your own equipment you can bring your own paint. The fields make nothing if the players BYOP. What they usually sell is to renters only.

My thought would be to sell good paint, and several brands, at normal store prices. HOWEVER...give the players a discount the more they buy. I know at least one paintball store that does this and it's so far been a good business model. Once you pass $100 you get 5% off, $300 10% etc. Players could keep track of what they spend with loyalty cards. The discounts would apply to future purchases as well.

Making a field BYOP and also selling paint at equal prices or lower prices than anyone else makes people want to buy paint at your field instead of bringing it with them. You'll make it up on volume. The more you play at the field, the more you shoot, the less it costs.

Just a thought...
That's how our local field operates, $10 entry, $5 extra for BYOP, restrictions on some paint (Monsterballs, etc). He carries several different grades of paint, ranging anywhere from $35/case to $70/case depending on quality. You can also buy by the bag if that's your thing, it'll cost a little extra. He also has the discount program, if you spend over a certain amount you start getting discounts on paint, etc.
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPB-Rogue View Post
Haahahaha since when is having the "reputation" of Skirmish considered a good thing? People tried talking me out of going there 4 years ago, I didn't listen, ...
Not everybody hears about the bad part of the reputation, but everybody does hear about the good part (namely the location, the massive fields). So even though you were being talked out of it... you still went. You may say their reputation is a hindrance but as you've demonstrated it's not enough to stop people from going.

That tells you just how big and influential a place that's long established can be, and how difficult it'll be to go up against a place like that.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Thats what I mean. Skirmish (and likely some others) get $100 a case because, well its Skirmish. Kinda like Hell's Survivors gets whatever they do now because... well its Hells Survivors.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Thats what I mean. Skirmish (and likely some others) get $100 a case because, well its Skirmish. Kinda like Hell's Survivors gets whatever they do now because... well its Hells Survivors.
And if Skirmish started charging $40/case, would it still attract teh same amount of people? I don't know (I could speculate), but I can guarantee you the type of customer they get would change.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
actually it wouldn't change much. You cant use Skirmish as an example, the daily bread and butter is utilization of an existing weekend home/tourist region directly within driving distance from NYC, and preestablished as a place to go. It is also interconnected with rafting activities, making it a 'single time, single day' stop for tourists to play that paintball game once. the same clueless toursits would spend money regularly. Why ask them for less? perhaps you will get more of them maybe.

it would perhaps change really big games for more seasoned players in a down economy and get some other people in that normally would skip or play a bit more often.

This is a bad field for any comparison, since it is one of the oldest and largest in the world, and I sure wish my family bought that ice cream stand in the 80 first! (a few might get this one).

if anyone is in a tourist area with heavy weekend use near what you'd start to call a megalopolis, congrats and you, much like Paul, have very little to worry about besides the economy bumping numbers around a bit.

that place can be full of win for location location location, if you moved it to somewhere dinky and also beautiful like Floyd VA, it would die quickly.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Could a new field make it at $100 a case? Yes. Would I play at it? Yes.

Horizon has said it all already.
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I think the hardest part is to get the customers in the first place.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I think the hardest part is to get the customers in the first place.
That's difficult with any new business though.

I think the first year we only had about 1800 players the whole year, if I remember right. Most new paintball fields cannot support a full time owner/manager for quite a number of years. I know ours couldn't.

There is not enough money in paintball to have extensive advertising campaigns. Paintball popularity really is spread by word of mouth mostly.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
If I was interested in running something like this idea the first thing I would do is NOT sell paint by the case. At all. Ever. There would be no "$100 a case" listing anywhere on the field, or web site. Paint would be $25 a bag, $5 a 100 (I miss re-bagging the old 2500 round cases). If someone asked for "a case" I'd have to tell them "Sorry, don't have any".

This is pretty much the point of the whole idea. If you don't want people shooting a whole case per day of play, don't sell them one.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone