mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Could a new field make it at $100 a case

I hear a lot about the fields that charge $100 a case providing a better game and better atmosphere. While I agree that providing a better atmosphere for new players is IMPERATIVE to a fields survival* I also note that those charging higher prices have already established the market base. So I ask this, could a new field opening, and not having the reputation of Skirmish USA or the other established fields, make it charging those prices? Thoughts?

*I understand there will be the rare field that caters to the hardcare tournament baller. I think this are far more rare than people think and essentially amount to a commercial team practice facility more than a public field.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
All depends on location, competition, and other market forces. And skirmishes reputation is really really bad amongst actual players and not just the idiots that show up for dday. You are probably better off reading the other thread on this.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sadist

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
I think you could make it depending on where your marketing it and what is around you for competition. You won't have the tournament ballers but that is not a bad thing necessarily, I would expect to have nice fields to play on and a friendly staff. If you want to look at a field that charges those kinds of prices check out tnt paintball they are located in Canada.

TNT Paintball
TheePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Easiest way to cater to the better atmosphere isn't through higher prices (that's more about profit margins and cash-grabbing), really it's just from limiting hopper technology. Don't even need to limit the marker, they can shoot DM10 or Egos. When the hopper can't keep up the speed then it doesn't matter what they shoot. Enforce a no-batteries-included hopper rule and problem solved. And any marker w/ a Cyclone must be a base-configuration for firing, so no RT and no E-Grips.

As far as a new field being able to open up and charge a larger cost for same item... depends on competition for starters. Are they going to start up next to the established field? Or middle of nowhere (that is nowhere around another field) ? Also depends on what they offer, if it's just like a neighboring facility but costs more... no they probably won't survive. They need something to set them apart.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Easiest way to cater to the better atmosphere isn't through higher prices (that's more about profit margins and cash-grabbing), really it's just from limiting hopper technology. Don't even need to limit the marker, they can shoot DM10 or Egos. When the hopper can't keep up the speed then it doesn't matter what they shoot. Enforce a no-batteries-included hopper rule and problem solved. And any marker w/ a Cyclone must be a base-configuration for firing, so no RT and no E-Grips
It depends on what level of play you want to cater to. Personally, for the type of field I want to run, gravity fed hoppers can still feed too much paint. I measure ROF not inf balls per second, but rather bals per day. "Sustained" fire is just as harmful as ROF when it comes to ruining the experince for new/casual players. However you want to look at it, if players are shooting 1500 paintbal/day on average rather than 700, the environment on the field will be different. Gravity feed hoppers will easily allow players to shoot over a case per day if they choose to do so. But it is one way to reduce the ROF and will cater to a middle ground of customers. Less extreme than no limits but still more extreme if paintballs were actaully physically limited or priced to create a financial limit.

"Making" people play with equipment they don't want to play with also leavesa bad taste in their mouths, so from a business point of view, I'm not in favor of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
As far as a new field being able to open up and charge a larger cost for same item... depends on competition for starters. Are they going to start up next to the established field? Or middle of nowhere (that is nowhere around another field) ? Also depends on what they offer, if it's just like a neighboring facility but costs more... no they probably won't survive. They need something to set them apart.
I agree. If you are going to open a paintball field (any paintball field really), you need to have something unique. If you aren't willing to build the best field in the neighborhood, you probably shouldn't be opening a paintball field. 2nd. best when it comes to paintball fields usually means you will get a lot fewer customers.

The higher price/lower concept really has as much to do with who you keep away as it does with who you are trying to attract. That may sound harsh, but that is the reality in business.

So to answer the original question, I think it can work, but you need to right away be better (faciltiy and service) than your competition. Higher price/lower volume alone won't guarantee success.

Also, $100/case would be the absolute minimum price needed to create the higher price/lower volume environment. I'd opt for more like $120 to $140.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me... Cardgage.

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Isotope

I would modify my driving habits so as to never even pass near a field that charged $120-140 for a case of paint. I don't care if said field had college co-eds give massages between games.
Dr. Isotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Its a hypothetical anyways, at least at this point. I frankly make too much doing what I do now to even consider changing, not considering the massive investment and risk. The risk to reward ratio of a paintball field makes it economic suicide, and the only way you can do it is to justify it is as a lifestyle entrepenurship - you are looking for a lifestyle over income. Since I am happy enough with what I am doing I see no reason to take the risk.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Its a hypothetical anyways, at least at this point. I frankly make too much doing what I do now to even consider changing, not considering the massive investment and risk. The risk to reward ratio of a paintball field makes it economic suicide, and the only way you can do it is to justify it is as a lifestyle entrepenurship - you are looking for a lifestyle over income. Since I am happy enough with what I am doing I see no reason to take the risk.
There is much insight in that statement.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
I would modify my driving habits so as to never even pass near a field that charged $120-140 for a case of paint. I don't care if said field had college co-eds give massages between games.
Really? Do you also avoid streets with restaurants that sell $200/plate meals?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me... Cardgage.

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Isotope

I absolutely do. Of course, from where I'm sitting, I'd have to drive 70-80 miles to get to such a restaurant. So that point is moot. I'm not going to pay $200 for a single meal, just as I'm not going to pay 6-7 a ball to play paintball-- not when I can eat a competently prepared multi-course meal for a quarter of that (not to mention less competently prepared food from a drive-thru for 5 bucks), and play paintball for 1.5 a ball.
Dr. Isotope is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone