mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 10-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Video: Richmond Italia shows off the FM50

I felt sort of left out not having created my very own 50-caliber thread, so here goes:

Those of you who can't wait for Carter's in-depth review of his FM-50 prototype, or who want to hear some news about .50 cal straight from the horse's mouth may find this informative.

YouTube - PBL Product Spotlight: G.I. Milsim FM50 marker

I'll admit that I'm much more interested in the gun after I saw how easily it could be converted to magazine-feed, though it's disappointing that the actual magazines aren't even in production yet.
The break-open diasassembly feature is pretty unique, and reminds me of a PMI Black Maxx and a Stingray. I wonder how the air supply hose seals to the valve when the guts are withdrawn...

Oh, and I know that it wasn't any sort of objective accuracy test, but Carter's recent range drop-off demonstration is making me wonder if there actually is some truth to GIMS's assertions that .50 cal is more accurate at short ranges. If that's true, I wonder what the market would be for a gun that used a combination of .50 cal and Tiberius First Strike ammunition, or perhaps even a stripped-down First Strike launcher that could be attached via picatinny rails.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
I think this is posted in one of the other threads.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Aw rats, I was afraid of that.
I checked all the current threads on the subject and didn't see anything.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
If that's true, I wonder what the market would be for a gun that used a combination of .50 cal and Tiberius First Strike ammunition, or perhaps even a stripped-down First Strike launcher that could be attached via picatinny rails.
I'd say approximately zero:
a) How do you chrono .68 and .50 out of the same gun w/o totally separate valves?
b) Why pay for that when you can already guy a .68/FS gun (Tiberius T4)?
c) How many fields are going to allow .68 and .50 in the same game, if they allow .50 at all?
d) Why not just have a FS gun with extra capacity...it performs just fine at short range?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I'd say approximately zero:
a) How do you chrono .68 and .50 out of the same gun w/o totally separate valves?
b) Why pay for that when you can already guy a .68/FS gun (Tiberius T4)?
c) How many fields are going to allow .68 and .50 in the same game, if they allow .50 at all?
d) Why not just have a FS gun with extra capacity...it performs just fine at short range?
a. You couldn't. Not sure what I had in mind in terms of layout but it wasn't that.
b. Because the T4 can't easily feed from a standard hopper, to my knowledge.
c. I can't imagine any fields allowing ONLY .50, although that doesn't really anwswer your question.
e. Because First Strike rounds are too difficult to load and carry in great quantity and too expensive to shoot in this manner anyway.

The idea appeals to me because I see these two odd rounds has having their own advantages over .68, but only under certain conditions. By using both you potentially overcome the shortcomings of either.

Besides that, Tippmann users are always looking for something else to bolt to their markers. A stripped-down FS attachment that runs off the X-7's gas supply and looks suitably like a shotgun might be pretty popular with the milsim set. It would be even more practical if used with one of these FM50 things.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
a. You couldn't. Not sure what I had in mind in terms of layout but it wasn't that.
b. Because the T4 can't easily feed from a standard hopper, to my knowledge.
c. I can't imagine any fields allowing ONLY .50, although that doesn't really anwswer your question.
e. Because First Strike rounds are too difficult to load and carry in great quantity and too expensive to shoot in this manner anyway.
By adding the extra weight of a second valve train and size of a second breech/barrel, you negate the size/weight advantage of the .50 gun.

The T4 has a hopper adapter, and switches from mags to hopper with a pull of the cocking handle. Yes, it's $900, but so are the high end .50 guns.

In theory you shouldn't be shooting FS rounds in great quantity anyway..if you're shooting at something with them you should be hitting it with 1-3 rounds. They're intended to be used more tactically, and not for longer-range spray and pray.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone