mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

If a kid caught a regular ball from closer range it would have the exact same effect.
Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Milquetoast

any word on what it feels like to get hit via the fin end?

I can just picture some jerk bunkering som1 with a FS round loaded backwards simply out of malicious intent.
ConradNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

It's been tested, they didn't even go very far much less do any damage.
And IIRC they tried a close up shot, almost contact with one loaded backwards and nothing of note happened.
Too lazy to search for the link right not but it's a non issue.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Person

I always imagined that if you loaded the round backwards it would turn around in flight like a shuttlecock.
BEARFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecksniper View Post
im not arguing against performance by any means. they shoot great. but our field tends to a lot of younger kids, and if a kid caught one of these in the throat or forehead i think that would end his day at the least.

maybe when they are able to make a better shell that is biodegradable gelatin rather than that photodegradeable styrene plastic i will be more inclined to like them.
The styrene is more brittle than the gelatin. Which means that it dissipates energy more readily when it hits the target.

I've seen kids, and old women, put out of the game getting hit with a regular ball from 20 feet. And I've seen kids that take a bunkering like a champ and then dish back in the next round.

If you can't take a 3.2 gram projectile at 300 fps, then you shouldn't be playing.

Did your buddy tell you how bad it hurt after it hit his mask? I got hit by 3 FS round in rapid succession (sneaking up on a real paintball sniper) from close range. And besides the surprise, it felt about like tournament grade paint.

Hey! I just got some sniper fins on the bay! Now I just need to find some monster balls....
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I haven't been playing much lately but one field that is BYOP around me allows them. I'm a strong advocate for lowering their field velocity (260 fps or so) and for TA to replace them with biodegradable material but my pleas seem to fall on deaf ears.

From testing I've done, a reverse loaded FS round does self-correct in a short amount of space (under 5 ft) but when close enough (around 2 ft or less), they are able to stick into ballistics gelatin. That's basically saying they can cut into human flesh, since its an acceptable substitute. However, it doesn't say anything about skin or its performance. I've been too busy this semester to mess around with a pigskin test but I plan to get around to it eventually.

The whole pain issue strikes me as funny. With .50 cal, people will try to claim that its a benefit to the sport because it hurts less, yet with FS, people are just supposed to suck it up.
Lord Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Odin View Post

The whole pain issue strikes me as funny. With .50 cal, people will try to claim that its a benefit to the sport because it hurts less, yet with FS, people are just supposed to suck it up.
Nobody here is advocating .50 either. And the common argument is that 50 will hurt as much or more... Bounces hurt more than breaks.

It's not "people are supposed to suck it up".

It's "this weighs the same as a paintball, and is launched at the same velocity. Therefore, the round has just as much energy as a regular paintball. IF you cannot take a hit from a regular paintball, then go play with nerf guns."

Trust me, man. I'm not tough. I can tell the difference between 300 and 303 when I get hit. These don't hurt any more than a regular paintball. They don't. My speculation: people feel like it hurts more because of the shock value. Nobody expects to experience being bunkered by a player 20 feet away. It surprises the crap out of people. But being surprised does not equal inflicting more damage.

The styrene is more brittle than most tournament paint. I don't have the money to be drop testing these, but there is a youtube video of a break from 2 feet high. You would rather be hit with soft gelatin? Really? My rule? The softer to round, the louder the SMACK!
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Odin View Post
From testing I've done, a reverse loaded FS round does self-correct in a short amount of space (under 5 ft) but when close enough (around 2 ft or less), they are able to stick into ballistics gelatin. That's basically saying they can cut into human flesh, since its an acceptable substitute. However, it doesn't say anything about skin or its performance. I've been too busy this semester to mess around with a pigskin test but I plan to get around to it eventually.
That's odd, and contrary to what I saw with a different test, although that one was clothed...
I guess i'll have to take one for the team and actually shoot myself with on to see what happens when I have some again, which should be soon. Only way to know for sure.
Even if they do cut into the skin, a normal paintball from point blank to unprotected skin will mess you up real good anyways.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party View Post
That's odd, and contrary to what I saw with a different test, although that one was clothed...
I guess i'll have to take one for the team and actually shoot myself with on to see what happens when I have some again, which should be soon. Only way to know for sure.
Even if they do cut into the skin, a normal paintball from point blank to unprotected skin will mess you up real good anyways.
The link to the reverse loading vid I'm referring to is in the info bar:
YouTube - First Strike Safety Test - Part 2

It has both clothed and bare gelatin. I would watch that before you attempt it without clothes on. Might make you think twice about it.
Lord Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Yea, somehow I still think i'll survive.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone