mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Grand Poobah

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Those are made by Brocock, I've been looking for one for years, they pop up very rarely at ebay...
Old 11-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

This is a great idea, anyone do anything like this anymore or is a gone thing. What about the "green" gas in airsoft?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM

The brass bullet type things are from the old Brocock air guns. I used to own several of the pistols and one of the rifles.

This pistol was fun...

Each round was charged independently with compressed air, and had a valve system in it that was activated when the centre of the "primer" was struck. The cap held the pellet.

Here's a link for how the cartridges work...

Uttings.com

I suspect the new paintball shotgun cartridges are doing something similar.

They were banned in England because they were stupid easy to convert into real firearms and the criminals started doing just that.

Google Image Result for http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1775000/images/_1779349_airguns300.jpg

I've seen re-chargeable 12gs before. I may even have something knocking around in the shop.

I would be doubtful of the number of shots you get if you charge it with compressed air... CO2 gets to around 850 psi (and higher if it gets hotter) but has better energy density at that pressure because it stores as liquid. With air you would need much higher pressures to get shot counts, and then the interesting issue would be the integrity of the vessel...
manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

cool stuff

I wanted to do something like that for my M-14 automag

a co2 magazine would be quite sweet
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

cooper T used to have a quick fill CO2 sup air tank
Old 11-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manike;1041498
Each round was charged independently with compressed air, and had a valve system in it that was activated when the centre of the "primer" was struck. The cap held the pellet.

Here's a link for how the cartridges work...

[url=http://www.uttings.com/?Categories/Shooting/AirCartridge/Brocock/
Uttings.com[/url]

I suspect the new paintball shotgun cartridges are doing something similar.

They were banned in England because they were stupid easy to convert into real firearms and the criminals started doing just that.

Google Image Result for http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1775000/images/_1779349_airguns300.jpg
What a fascinating problem. I wonder how usable one of those converted .22 or .38 Brocock guns really is, or if they just tend to self-destruct under the shock during firing.
Here's another article in the Telegraph:Rap singer faces jail over loaded revolver - Telegraph
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM

From several accounts I heard and read back in the days they we pretty usable. I used to be very active in the airgun world when I lived in England.

The guns were very solid and well made real steel items. Felt and looked and operated pretty much just like the real thing.

I can see how easy it was to make the conversion too. It wouldn't take much to drill out the rear of the cartridge and insert a primer.

The reason I got rid of my Brocock guns was because they didn't lend to consistent shooting. Slight pressure differences in the cartridges or leaks made the guns shoot badly in comparison to my pre-charged air rifles. I should never have sold my Rapid 7.
manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Man, I would buy a freaking skid of these if they were reliable and consistent.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

RTP Fan
I wonder if someone on this forum can manufacture their own version of these for our 'consumption'.
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone