mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm not so sure that if someone did start making Trracers that they'd still be able to sell them for 80 bucks. Heck, most of the time I remember them being 100 to begin with, and that was in the mid to late 90s. That's a long time and a lot of inflation.
bgearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Send a message via AIM to BrianHindt Send a message via Skype™ to BrianHindt

So it's kind of like saying "where I can I find soda pop for a nickel?"

On a side note, I think the valve trains of Trracer's/Hornet's/Maverick's are better designed than that of the Phantom although of course they deviate from standard Nelson.

Last edited by BrianHindt; 11-11-2009 at 08:41 PM.
BrianHindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I kind of agree. They actually made some advances in the Trracer design.

And they shot pretty well, too. The pump was maybe not the greatest, with the plastic arms linking it to the bolt. Tended to bind if you tightened them up too far.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

kingman should bring back the Hammer A or plus. or at least use a composite plastic like the traccer if they make a P. ($75 to$100)I could sell a lot of pumps to new players if they could buy them for less then a good semi.
capitalpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

I was a big fan of the Hornet which had the same type of under cocking mechanism as the Phantom. I see your point about maybe not making the original price point, but it would have t be a lot closer than the more complicated pumps that are made today.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHindt View Post

On a side note, I think the valve trains of Trracer's/Hornet's/Maverick's are better designed than that of the Phantom although of course they deviate from standard Nelson.
But what about the irritating way you have to hold a Maverick's pump forward to get it to release the hammer and fire? Or was that just mine?
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wowomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHindt View Post
Actually, my uncle still gets coffee for a nickel, but only because no one has the heart to throw him out of the diner.

Anyway, you're not going to get $60-80 pumps because there is such a small market for them. The used market really keeps the price down on trracers and mavericks, and most people buying new pump guns want something a little pricier/better. An entry to mid level pump will never survive because why spend $60 for a pump when a semi-automatic spyder clone can be bought for less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Look at it this way, at least you had pants on when your mom walked in.

Right?

wowomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
But what about the irritating way you have to hold a Maverick's pump forward to get it to release the hammer and fire? Or was that just mine?
I don't remember that problem, but it's been a few years since my last Trracer/Maverick.

They weren't perfect, by any means. They just benefited from a few more years of people saying, "What if we did this?" Kind of the downside of a lot of the oldschool, expensive Nelson guns today.. Phantoms, Buzzards, Grey Ghost.. seems to be that they're still pretty much making the same guns from the 80s. That's not entirely bad, of course, but there's probably room for some improvements here and there.

I can't figure out why nobody makes a bore drop anymore. What's with that?
Old 11-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

I really didn't like the tiny nubbin powertubes on the Mavericks/Trracers with the actual tube as part of the hammer. The tubes always got bent up. Not to mention that I've never gotten as good efficiency out of the Trracer platform as I have out of Phantoms. The Hornet did have nice pump linkage rods hidden underneath though.

I also wouldn't say that Mike Casady isn't building the same Phantom of the 80's. He's done a pretty good job of adapting to the changes I think. He's upgraded the internals to an anti-kinking system, he's made the TPC with the three diffusing holes which is much more gentle on paint. He's gone from unibody to removable barrels. He's made a heck of a lot of different breech setups and air setup options so anyone can make a Phantom the way they like. He's just recent redesigned the centrefeed breech to have much lower profile feedneck, as opposed to the tall stack that was popular in the early 2000's.

I do lament the loss of a good in production bore drop Nelson however. All the more reason to whore Bushmasters.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yeah, you know, you're right in a lot of ways there. That said, I think the old Trracer valve system had some advantages over the powertube setup the more traditional Nelsons have. It's less prone to breaking.

Bore drops are the best, though. There's a custom shop job for somebody.. a Bushmaster stock class body.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone