mcarterbrown.com

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
depot damager

Not posting up in the same spot. Keep your opposition on their toes.

MCB feedback
AGD feedback
anomoly40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think the "fundamentals" are kinda tough to pick and choose for paintball. In my opinion there are different fundamentals for each format... rec, scenario, and tourney paintball.

For example... having the best snapshot in tourney paintball wont necessarily help you in the scenario world. Hopefully I made some sense... lol.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Kill them until they are dead.

Then kill them some more.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

The objective of the game is to shoot your opponents out and not get shot. I've worked on the following to become a better rec-baller:

- Shooting with accuracy. Just straight-up shooting at something and hitting it with as few shots as possible. I think a lot of players don't try to aim enough.
- Shooting while moving, e.g,. running down the field past a bunker and shooting an opponent without stopping. This is one of the hardest skills, in my opinion.
- Snap-shooting -- exposing as little of yourself as possible for as short a time as possible and shooting an opponent.

In the not getting hit category:

- Slides and dives. I've actually been able to avoid getting hit by spending time learning and using these skills.
- Learning to play from standing, kneeling, and prone positions in order to make effective use of the bunker.
- Effective communication. Talking to my team is more about my not getting shot by someone (because I don't know that he's there) than me shooting them. This skill is hard to apply in walk-on game of paintball, however, and I don't really bother unless I know someone else on the team will be listening.

The "One with the Gun" video covers all the basics.

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Give in to the Night

Location: Austin, capital of the greatest country in the world, Texas

you ask if many of your points are thought about or instinctual. It seems like snapshooting, laning, playing bunkers.....almost anything has to be smartly done, yet instinctual. You have to do it well in order to keep yourself in the game, but if you think too much during the game, you are going to get shot out.

Knowing the field is good, but not necissary to play well. Its good for running missions and whatnot, but stick a good player with a guy who knows the field, and he will rule.

I also agree with play your strengths, if you are a larger dude, dont rush up and get shot, be sneaky or clever.

chopper_duke: You guys just don't understand how hard it is to take pictures from a dark closet and not wake the person up...

bring me a white rotor sale
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post1853123
noctem89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Spoken.

snap shooting/gun fighting-all the other skills dont mean anything if you get in to a gun fight and cant come out on top. And always remember the three second rule: it should never take more than three seconds to get to your next bunker/cover
Stuff for sale
Nike+ Sportband/sensor
Quitting Sale
Jdaddy615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
drg
Banned

A few random thoughts ...
It's difficult to break down paintball to the degree that, for example, baseball skills are broken down to because it is a way complicated sport, in terms of the flow of gameplay. Baseball and most ball sports proceed in a relatively ordered fashion, following a single ball around the field of play. Paintball seems much less ordered than that, and much more can go on involving all players at the same time.

For paintball, the only level of conceptualization that can cover all possibilities might be something very, very gross, such as 1) moving, 2) shooting and 3) teamwork.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by drg View Post
..For paintball, the only level of conceptualization that can cover all possibilities might be something very, very gross, such as 1) moving, 2) shooting and 3) teamwork.

^ maybe.. I've coach batting for a few years now as my kid progressed from 4 to 12 years old. And in that time, what I teach has evolved from making contact to getting the hips moving early, head down, elbows in, release hands, follow through to gain maximum bat speed - flat and level through strike zone. but both levels are still hitting...

A pitch, fielders play, double play, pick off move, bat swing are all simple sequential discrete actions that muscle memory develops into a single fluid motion.

I'm thinking in paintball starting with a complete thought and conveying the idea concisely in coachable discrete components.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
drg
Banned

I guess it would be useful to do a hierarchical breakdown then ... with larger categories (hitting) and specifics (individual body motions).

Would be tricky though since there are practically unlimited ways to shoot and run ...

A good place to start for this kind of discussion actually might be the clinic videos that are out, such as Dynasty Dysected and One with a Gun.
drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
pump snob

Relocation:

Once you shoot, the opposition you are shooting at knows where you are.

The principle of relocation is to move to a new firing position without the opposition knowing you moved.

The larger the movement, the more likely you are to have a clear shot.

Steps to relocation:

*** Look for a strong firing position.

*** Look for a bad habits in your opposition.

*** Shoot to put their head down or make them duck behind their cover - thus temporarily blocking their view of your move.

*** Move quickly to new firing position.

*** If you moved to their strong side, wait until they fire on your previous position - you should have a good angle.

*** If you moved to their weak side, wait until they fire on your previous position, then then relax behind their cover. Look for fanny packs etc sticking out.

Last edited by thumper; 11-15-2009 at 06:46 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone