mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
pump snob

The Bait & Switch

Many people consider baseball pretty boring to watch... they think it too slow. If you have even played baseball for any length of time, you learn quickly exactly how fast the game is - especially once the ball is hit. Coaches the world over teach their players on defense to think in the period before each pitch :"what do i do if the ball is hit to me" because there is not time to make a good judgment call "on the fly".

The topic du jour is Bait

What :
Being bait is purposefully drawing attention to yourself to encourage the bad guys to move according to your considered situation. The keyword here is "considered".

Why :
1) Ideally you move opponents into a situation where you and/or your team have the advantage... either into a cross fire ambush, a kill pocket, a clearing, or on to poor ground.

2) Distracting your opponent will cause them to focus on you - and with any luck, even shooting at you. When this happens your teammates may be able to take advantage of the noise and misdirection to move into a position where they have the advantage - typically creating a cross fire situation where one did not exist before.

How :
The best way to become bait is the way that works.. this changes with who you are playing against. Experienced ballers may realize what you wish to do, and realize your attempts to "move" them into position. So being a good bait moves them without them knowing they are being moved.

On one end of the spectrum : Singing "I wish I was an Oscar Myer Wiener" (aka The WILSON Technique) is so incredibly obnoxious that it is just hard to turn down - and the most experienced ballers regularly fall for this ploy.

On the other end - grabbing a branch as you run down a trail works equally well - and looks much more innocent and unintentional.

And somewhere in the middle is the classic shot. Once you shoot you draw attention. The longball will likely draw your opponent to you. The up close shot will likely move your opponent at a 90 degree angle as he seeks a line of advance that is to his advantage - and w/o your knowledge. Another is the fighting retreat where you shoot and fall back, shoot and fall back drawing the opponent into a cross fire or kill zone.

A quiet pump and the one shot are a decent way to keep your location unknown to your opponents. Once you ripp off a dozen rounds you are bait, whether you wanted to be or not. When playing with non-teammates I will frequently use novice ballers (or others) who can't seem to lay off the trigger as BAIT - afterall, why not.

When considering your stunt, consider these tidbits:

** ESCAPE ROUTE: ** think through a few ways to leave where you are running or moving with minimal time in the likely fire lanes and where there is cover to break up your escape route. Use obvious cover if you want them to follow you. use J-hooks and thick cover if wanting to slow, confuse or eliminate your pursuers.

** STRONGHOLD : ** It is nice to survive being bait - especially when outnumbered. You may wish to consider a "strong hold" where you can go and hold out while your teammates maneuver... after all, they may be a bit slow on the draw. Never start the engagement at your stronghold. (once at your stronghold, start considering your escape route.)

** KNOW WHERE EVERYONE IS : ** Before you draw attention to yourself, it is best to have a pretty good idea where everyone is - or at least calculate where they are likely to be - ... If you don't know, your strong hold and fall back route should be a bit on the cautious side.

** LOOK FOR OPPORTUNITIES : As a teammate, it is your job to look for opportunities that your teammates are creating for you - and take advantage of them. Likewise if the situation has stalled, start considering the advantages to be had by becoming bait to change the situation to your team's advantage.

Who is Bait:

Ideally the situation starts with all of your teammates being in positions of advantage, and unknown to your opponent. In this situation, the first teammate spotted should become the bait.

Alternately if your teammates have better ground, or are otherwise in positions where they can flank without your opponents knowing it, then it is YOU who should become bait.

A key point here that I think a few of us forget : the best bait lives to tell about it.

The Switch:
(normally) as the flanker engages, it is he who will draw fire and assume role of bait and YOU assume the roll of flanker.. Note : move quick, quiet and decisively while your opponents are distracted and facing the wrong way.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #22 (permalink)
pump snob

Playing your Bunker

There are right and wrong ways to play bunkers - and while Im no expert, I will throw in my two cents for the sake of discussion and hopefully kicking loose some long lost lessons learned.

The Do's and Dont's of play your bunker

Don't : assume just be cause you have a gun, and are in a good bunker that your opponent is scared of you.

Don't : get too comfortable in your bunker. It blocks the majority of your vision of the field, and only a fraction of the field for your opponents.

Don't : In your bunker, don't be predictable. Plenty of players have a rhythm to their heads popping out - and after a few repeated look-sees, they get their mole whacked. Don't be that guy.

Don't : Look or shoot over the top. The top of your melon is exposed for a long time before you can see anything coming - and while you are ducking back down.

Don't : Leave your gun barrel sticking out - They are a lot of players for whom a barrel is a perfectly legitimate, very viable target.

Do: Use cracks when possible.

Do: Shoot weakside even if you suck at it - just to let them know you can.

Do: Keep looking weakside - if you are getting bunkered, this is the side most will favor.

Do: When looking and shooting, make a small target.

Do: Look for your own shadow on the ground. It may be your undoing.

Do : When things seem too quiet, find a new bunker.

Do : To keep your options open, back off your bunker, get on your feet, bend over to protect your melon and then bob and weave. By being on your feet, you are in a position to relocate quickly. Kneelers are easy to move on.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

You know, while a lot of this stuff is good, they're not fundamentals. Basketball is a team sport, but you don't learn your place in different positions until you can dribble, pass, and shoot with some decent form.

When we talk about fundamentals in sports, we mean the most basic body movements. The best practices of how to hold yourself, how to move, etc.

With paintball, some of those would have to be :

1. Posture - Posture while standing, kneeling, lying down. Keeping your elbows in, holding your gun so as to keep the smallest profile. Not sticking parts of your body out past a bunker. How to play different types of bunkers.

2. Field awareness - Keeping your head up as much as you can, avoiding tunnelvision, communication. Identifying and using dead zones and firing lanes.

3. Shooting - Snap-shooting. Shooting while running. 'Laning' ( Properly leading a target, basically). Fully returning a pump. Not short-stroking. Walking an electro trigger. And especially, shooting with your off-hand.

4. Movement - Running with a gun. Sliding. Crawling. Which sides of a bunker to come out of, and how to do it.
bgearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
I would agree.

While Thumper's Tricks above are interesting and possibly helpful, most are decidedly more tactical than fundamental.

One fundamental aspect of paintball that is difficult to teach is fire discipline.

Even experienced paintballers will shoot at targets that are too far away or not sufficiently exposed to hit. It is one piece of advice that I always give to new players.

Hold your fire until you have a good shot.

Good thread though.

D
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #25 (permalink)
pump snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
I.. is fire discipline.
^ good point sir.

perhaps I'll re-title the thing as "fundamentals & basic tricks of the trade"
Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
I would agree.

While Thumper's Tricks above are interesting and possibly helpful, most are decidedly more tactical than fundamental.

One fundamental aspect of paintball that is difficult to teach is fire discipline.

Even experienced paintballers will shoot at targets that are too far away or not sufficiently exposed to hit. It is one piece of advice that I always give to new players.

Hold your fire until you have a good shot.

Good thread though.

D

Well, there are a few exceptions. Sometimes it's useful to throw paint for no purpose other than to draw attention or keep the other guy's head down.

But still, it's vital to know when to do those things. I think I'd put it into shooting. Paintball ballistics take some getting used to, and it's important to feel comfortable with them, and know what the guns can and can't do.
bgearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
pump snob

Know your gun

It is to your advantage to hit what you shoot at - on the first try, every time. I know a recent example where a teammates of mine went 14 for 16. 16 shots, 14 eliminations...and scored the mission, got the big bomb back to base, scored major points, etc... While this is certainly an extreme case of mad marksmanship skills, it highlights a key point : This mack-daddy FEELS COMFORTABLE with his gun, and has a very good idea what it will do BEFORE he pulls the trigger.

Once you miss your first shot, the odds of subsequent shots hitting their mark drop dramatically as the odds of you being picked off while shooting increase with each additional shot you take.

I have two things I do along these lines to help me personally:

1) I don't hop markers. I don't have 5 different guns that shoulder differently, aim differently, shoot differently, weight different, balance different, and then kid my self that I'm great with all of them. I have one gun I trust & feel comfortable with.. and I have this exact gun in both semi and pump form factors... But only one is my go-to marker and it gets a lot of play time. As a result, when I shoot- I have a very good idea what the odds are. By KNOWING the odds before I shoot, it helps me make good shoot / no-shoot decisions.

2) Once I get that "go-to gun" worthy of my trust, I don't mess w/ it. I leave the damn thing alone.

Last edited by thumper; 11-16-2009 at 07:53 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #28 (permalink)
on temporary hiatus

Rob "Tyger" Rubin did a basics of paintball type show after his second season of WebDog Radio, and talked about it several other episodes until the end of WDR. He called it the Paintball Skill Triangle, and you can find the video here. Maybe that's what you're looking for and maybe it isn't, but there are some good videos in there.

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone