mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Another 50 calculation

Can we compare a 50 1.2 gram projectile @ 300FPS to a standard 68 3 gram projectile @ 215FPS as far as expected flight and range?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Why? I"m not going to turn my gun down to 215 so somebody that bought into .50 cal is on a level playing feild. Sorry about your luck. If you bought the hype to bad.

Is anybody else tired of the .50 cal threads?

Never trust a gun review that is written by someone that is sponsored by that company.

Why I won't buy from MacDev
VonOrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

They may have similar final distance, but a standard exterior ballistics calculation should never give you the same path and energies because the sectional density (mass vs. frontal area) of the 68 is higher (and different) than the 50.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonOrt View Post
Why? I"m not going to turn my gun down to 215 so somebody that bought into .50 cal is on a level playing feild. Sorry about your luck. If you bought the hype to bad.

215 is about the field limit in some countries - ie Germany, at least from the reading, and I am just curious how 50 would compare. At 300FPS it does not approach 7.5 joules IIRC. In fact, without serious modification, I doubt you could get a 50 to produce 7.5 joules using paintballs.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonOrt View Post

He is talking about the German Police raid on a paintball tournament (there are a few threads around). In Germany you can't have a marker that shoots over something like 7.5 joules of energy, which works out to about 214 fps for .68 cal.

So I would be guessing this is related to the inside man phoning the cops theory, combined with Smart Parts/GI Milsim are EVIL meme resulting in a conspiracy theory.

[Edit] And yes I'm mostly sick of them.
sunshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Can we compare a 50 1.2 gram projectile @ 300FPS to a standard 68 3 gram projectile @ 215FPS as far as expected flight and range?
214 fps (as per Germany) is roughly 6.something joules, law limit is 7.5 (again Germany), .50cal is advertised as 5.something at 300 fps. I suspect the performance of .50 cal at 300 fps will be better than .68 cal at 214 fps.
sunshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
In fact, without serious modification, I doubt you could get a 50 to produce 7.5 joules using paintballs.
I'd think it would be fairly simple for a gun using standard paintball valve design to exceed 7.5 Joules. I don't know about the Nano and FM50, but any of the converted guns like the Impulse of Ego would be easily set above 7.5 Joules.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I'd think it would be fairly simple for a gun using standard paintball valve design to exceed 7.5 Joules. I don't know about the Nano and FM50, but any of the converted guns like the Impulse of Ego would be easily set above 7.5 Joules.
With a 50 1.2 gram projectile?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
With a 50 1.2 gram projectile?
Yes...you just make it shoot harder.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Yes...you just make it shoot harder.
You would have to get above 365FPS to approach 7.5 joules of energy though (with a 1.2 gram projectile). Certainly markers can be regulated to keep adjustability max to around 300 +/- 50FPS can't it?

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone