mcarterbrown.com

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Closed bolt Ion XE / Vibe conversion kits are ready

XE kits now available

This valve system is the same operational concept as the one being used in the MCB open source group project. Main purpose of the kit - efficiency. Tests indicate that anywhere from 1,600 - 2,300+ shots per tank is achievable. The low end on that scale is from mechanical conversions without a QEV and a slight overbore, the high end is electro conversions (no QEV) and mech conversions using a QEV and bore matched paint.

As indicated, the system can operate mechanically or electronically. The firing piston seals the dump chamber immediately before firing, nothing required for mechanical operation other than a normally open 3-way valve such as the Clippard SMAV-3 - which is often found in Ion mechanical conversions.

The only permanent mod needing to be done to the Ion is a channel cut into the bottom of the body to allow a hose to reach to the back outside of the frame. A hole can also be drilled into the frame for the hose relocation as well. No tapping is required. All other components lock in place with no modifications.

The conversion kit works on Ion XEs, Vibes, and compatible. The stock board works for electro conversions - but the eyes are not functional. Third party closed bolt boards are required for eyes with the electro conversion. With the stock board, the dwell acts as a ball in place delay as it is not important to the firing sequence and has no impact on efficiency or velocity - just how long the bolt is open. Force feed loaders are recommended.

I have some XE/Vibe compatible kits ready to go with more on the way. The spacer between the power tube and the rear plug is unmilled, and acts like a spacer in an Epiphany - isolating excess volume to allow you to gain efficiency and raise the peak ROF by increasing the pressure. Spacers that are milled allow full access to the dump chamber to drop pressure and create a quieter/smoother shot.

Price for an XE/Vibe conversion kit is $80 shipped as shown with an unmilled spacer plus all of the fittings needed, o-ring rebuild set, and new tubing. $85 shipped for a kit with a milled spacer that allows the entire volume of the dump chamber to be accessed. $95 shipped for a kit with both a milled and an unmilled spacer so you can choose quiet or peak efficiency. All kits are tested before shipping to verify that they are working properly.

Kits can be run mechanically or electronically.

And the layout marks have been cleaned off since these pictures were taken

An animation I did of the first generation prototype Ion conversion kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPb96eXkYp4

A video of some shooting of the prototype.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiLWp7bwhIE

MCB community project 1- Closed Bolt Spool Valve

Original PBN thread

Kits are also available in the members only BST at a discounted members price.

Last edited by y0da900; 06-29-2011 at 10:10 PM.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Received my marker today. Mech triggered, closed bolt Vibe. Trigger pull is light, short, fairly crisp. I do not "walk" triggers, but this shot fast enough that I needed a powered hopper to keep up. Marker is still light, no noticeable vibration, balance is almost exactly the same as original model. Velocity was consistent, but will file more details after I have run two bags through her to wear it in. No chopping with a powered hopper. Fast trigger, gee did I already say this. May not be a true walkable trigger, but on a closed bolt with good paint/bore match it should not be an issue. And the biggest plus: NO BATTERY. If you have a Vibe, Ion, or other of the family: get this set up.
My original Vibe is now now longer my go to for most uses. You can not tell it is not a normal Vibe. I added a black plastic cap to the end. I just have to remember to use a barrel bag. With no on off or safety, this needs to be treated with thought in the pits, as all guns should.
And I have Auto mag, Blazer and others in my stable, but for fun it was my Vibe, now it is Vibe2.
FirstTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

Can I see a picture of what this looks like in a VIBE. Iam very interested in this. Also any videos of it shooting is a big plus for me.

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll snag some shots later (need to put one together, down to one left that I need to ship out then make more), but in general it looks exactly like a Vibe that doesn't have the rear body plug put in. The Vibe shell extends far enough back that it can be plumbed entirely internally.

I'll also have to do a separate video for the Vibe specific variant, but this is one of the kits for a classic Ion firing (it shoots exactly the same):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhNKEwGZEJE
Old 09-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Take trades? Will this work with Semi-BOB body kits, or should I ask about the Non-XE kit?

Want to bring peace, tranquility, and the abundance of nice aftermarket parts to the paintball universe once and for all? Contribute to: www.tbqf.co

ALTBazaar.com - The end-all source to high performance and quality.
TBQF.co - The end all source for all cool things paintbally.

YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to blackrain

I'll be coming after a VIBE kit soon. Have a little project in mind

Later,
Blackrain
blackrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Trades - honestly it would depend on what you have in mind, but not something I'm opposed to.

The difference in kits depends entirely on whether it takes classic parts with a separate firing can and breech or has the back end of an XE. I've done kits for Lucky/GCPB bodies before too. Let me know specifically what kind of body you have in mind and I'll let you know what needs to be done to it to make these work with it.

blackrain - I'll shoot you a message as soon as I have another batch ready to go.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Well, if thing work out, I'll keep the Powerlyte kit in my signature and use that for the body of the Ion, so it'll be a classic Ion.

As far as trades are concerned, anything in my various signatures interest you?

Want to bring peace, tranquility, and the abundance of nice aftermarket parts to the paintball universe once and for all? Contribute to: www.tbqf.co

ALTBazaar.com - The end-all source to high performance and quality.
TBQF.co - The end all source for all cool things paintbally.

YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
Installation

Anyway that you could post an install guide or maybe show both the parts the kit comes with and what the finished product looks like? Thanks!
dano_____ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I will have an install guide up including pictures when I get the next batch completed so I have parts to get pictures from.

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum