mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #471 (permalink)
Mr Gullible

Fan of EMR
I used a cheapy drill press that I picked up on Kijiji (it's like Craigslist) for $40 to drill out the main holes. I started with small holes to make sure they were straight in then progressed up to larger sizes. Once I was mostly done, I finished it with a Dremel to work down the ridges you get when using a drill.

The hardest part for me was connecting the Empire Relay to the mechanical kit. I didn't really know how the Relay worked at first and that was the source of most of my frustration. Now that I know you can just buy a 1/8" to Microline adapter, it's really easy to set up.

I should probably tear the whole thing apart and do a build thread in case anyone else has questions. Now that I've done it once, it would be easy to do again.

my markers
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #472 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
I figured I would share my completed mechanical Ion with you.
Running the gas through the grip added a bit of a headache but the result was totally worth it.

Mechanical Ion first run - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">Mechanical Ion first run - YouTube&fs=1" />Mechanical Ion first run - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mechanical Ion first run - YouTube

Mechanical Ion first run - YouTube

Thanks for putting these kits together guys. The effort of getting things working correctly makes me take even more pride in ownership on this marker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PO-BOY View Post
whats involved in doing this. will I need to mill the frame or can it be done by hand? ^^^
Quote:
I used a cheapy drill press that I picked up on Kijiji (it's like Craigslist) for $40 to drill out the main holes. I started with small holes to make sure they were straight in then progressed up to larger sizes. Once I was mostly done, I finished it with a Dremel to work down the ridges you get when using a drill.

The hardest part for me was connecting the Empire Relay to the mechanical kit. I didn't really know how the Relay worked at first and that was the source of most of my frustration. Now that I know you can just buy a 1/8" to Microline adapter, it's really easy to set up.

I should probably tear the whole thing apart and do a build thread in case anyone else has questions. Now that I've done it once, it would be easy to do again.
Ive done a few of them.

Its faster to do the frame milling with a Mill, but it can be done manually
Its even easier to do if you use a Lucky Double Banjo, instead of the T fittings

Just built this one a week ago, it got traded for a up'd Axe

Aurora PE Mech Ion

Single and Double Barrel Mech Ions, wayyyy too much time in em

1/8" npt to 10-32 Barb fitting i've made to use it

The original I made almost a year ago?

and the same process, but with a virtue board and all sorts of other goodies!

frame milling...

super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #473 (permalink)
Mr Gullible

Fan of EMR
I've teased the idea of buying a mill but am having a hard time justifying it at the moment. I will also confess that seeing some of your previous work is what inspired me to build my own.

I tried making a barb fitting like the one you pictured but had endless leak issues with it. Then I tried the straight microline fitting and everything just worked.

What is this lucky double banjo you speak of? I've Googled around but haven't found reference to them. The T-Fitting is my least favourite part of the whole assembly and the idea of putting a banjo in instead piques my interest.

BTW, using a mill is so much cleaner (and I'm betting easier) than the drill press and dremel method I used to clear mine.

my markers
Old 09-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #474 (permalink)
MCB Member

The green fitting there is the lucky banjo. Deathwish may have some more. They may require a little hogged out of the frame to fit, I don't remember what circumstances required that though.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #475 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

Quote:
I've teased the idea of buying a mill but am having a hard time justifying it at the moment. I will also confess that seeing some of your previous work is what inspired me to build my own.

I tried making a barb fitting like the one you pictured but had endless leak issues with it. Then I tried the straight microline fitting and everything just worked.

What is this lucky double banjo you speak of? I've Googled around but haven't found reference to them. The T-Fitting is my least favourite part of the whole assembly and the idea of putting a banjo in instead piques my interest.

BTW, using a mill is so much cleaner (and I'm betting easier) than the drill press and dremel method I used to clear mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/733/1001921ug8.jpg

The green fitting there is the lucky banjo. Deathwish may have some more. They may require a little hogged out of the frame to fit, I don't remember what circumstances required that though.
Hey!

Sick ion!

I have a few hundred of those left.. some frames need to have the smallest amonut drilled out in the backend of the frame where the banjo sits so that everything is flush. YMMV due to poor tolerances on frames, etc.
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #476 (permalink)
Mr Gullible

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post
Hey!

Sick ion!

I have a few hundred of those left.. some frames need to have the smallest amonut drilled out in the backend of the frame where the banjo sits so that everything is flush. YMMV due to poor tolerances on frames, etc.
I would really like to try it out but am afraid to mess around with it any more now that I have everything sorted and working.

Out of curiosity, I'm finding mine is very inefficient as far as air consumption is concerned. Does anyone else get more than 400 balls from a standard air tank? I don't mind given how sweet it is to shoot.

I hope you don't mind me sharing another video. I wanted to show how smooth it is shooting as quickly as I can.

Mechanical Ion feed test - YouTube&fs=1" width="644" height="390">Mechanical Ion feed test - YouTube&fs=1" />Mechanical Ion feed test - YouTube">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mechanical Ion feed test - YouTube Mechanical Ion feed test - YouTube

my markers
Old 09-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #477 (permalink)
Disciple of the Dark Side

From the video, it doesn't sound like you have a QEV and it appears you're using a 48/3k (I don't think you said what size it was, and there's a tank cover so it's just a guess). If you want to increase the efficiency on the tank you have, a QEV would have the biggest impact.

Feedback
AndrewTheWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #478 (permalink)
Mr Gullible

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
From the video, it doesn't sound like you have a QEV and it appears you're using a 48/3k (I don't think you said what size it was, and there's a tank cover so it's just a guess). If you want to increase the efficiency on the tank you have, a QEV would have the biggest impact.
You're correct on all counts. It is a 48/3k tank and I do not have a QEV installed.

Looking at the various QEVs I'm seeing, is the 360 QEV the best option? I'm not a fan of barb fittings but the push fittings I'm seeing appear to either be too tall or would require me to modify my body kit further.

my markers
Old 09-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #479 (permalink)
Disciple of the Dark Side

A 360 QEV is the easiest to install since you don't have to cut part of the body. I have the same Shocktech body as you and I'm using an ANS branded pneumadyne QEV, and I had to dremel out part of the underside of the body kit to screw it on since it doesn't swivel. I also haven't had any issues with the barb on it either. It's more annoying than a push-fit one, but it gets the job done.

A QEV will definitely increase your efficiency, but it will also change your shot from the super quiet "whoosh" it is now to a more traditional paintball gun "pop" sound. It'll still be quiet, it just won't be like it is now, so there's that tradeoff.

Feedback

Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 09-24-2013 at 04:13 AM.
AndrewTheWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #480 (permalink)
7paintball & Airsoft

Brass and Wood Fan
If anyone is in the Chicago Land area and wants to see one of these kits in action feel free to stop by 7paintball & Airsoft. We have the kits already installed in a few Ions and have the kits available for purchase.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum