mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:50 AM   #91 (permalink)
Just Gas It

Good advise but I'm not really in the grinder market now but that grizzly does look nice. I recently made a folding knife prototype with my 9" angle grinder affixed to a vise, files and my drill press. Its has maple scales, stainless liners, and skillsaw blade steel. I made all the standoffs and pivots on my lathe (time consuming) I would like to make some more of them with real knife steel, a proper grind, and hardened pivots ect.) I recently got a broken 6500lbs cnc mill . My first priority is to get this working. I have machining and woodworking skills which seem to translate pretty good to knife making. Until i get my hands on a belt grinder and some good steel I don't expect to make any more.

Keep up the good work! That pattern 31 sounds sweet. I think I would go with the stainless steel pins for strength.
Make sure your bits are damn sharp for drilling that turquoise. I think I would either try a carbide glass cutting spade dry, or even use a high speed diamond abrasive wet? Trying it first on a scrap piece of course. By the way what are you using to cut the turquoise?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #92 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I used a hack saw because I don't have a good cutting wheel that I would trust. It was just a rough cut as I'm going to shape it by hand with a file so I just needed a piece.

Yeah I will see what I can drill it with and will definitely test drill before going full bore on the good stuff..

As to the Pins for the Pattern 31... that debatable. The screw system I will be using using stainless steel threaded sleeves and the gold plated screws are are gold/cobalt plated (hard plating) over steel. With some locktite on the sleeves and screws and a tiny dab of Epoxy on the bolster, they aren't going anywhere.

Pins are great, don't get me wrong, they can make a bolster look like it was welded/brazed on and if done right will hold extremely well. But I think the screws just add that extra touch.

And along those lines

Potential Sale Alert!!!!!

DAMASCUS

DAMASCUS

DAMASCUS

Do I have your attention now?

I'm thinking of selling the Pattern 31. Yup, I know, it's not even done... heck it's just ideas on paper at the moment (other than the fact that I have the blade in hand)... but I want to get in to cutting, shaping and heat treating my own blades... to that end I want to sell some knives. The pattern 31 is on hand and the completed knife will be ready by early summer.

If someone is interested in this knife please contact me. It will not be cheap. $300 (plus shipping and insurance) with a standard Jantz sheath (see below).

Specs will be:
Jantz Pattern 31 Damascus. For specs and an idea of what the blade looks like: Knife - Pattern 31 Jantz Damascus Blade Yes.. just the blade is $100... which is why the finished knife is so expensive. I will post a picture of the actual blade you will get.

Stainless Steel Bolsters with recessed Gold plated Torx screws for that extra "Shiny"

Curly/Flame Maple scales (they have a nice figure to them) dyed either Blue, green or red. Basically.. imagine a curly maple quilt top guitar in the various colors (other than fades and sunbursts).. that is how it will look.

Color spacer between Scales and Tang to add contrast. I would do White (good with any of the dye choices) or Yellow (good with the Blue or Green). You will need to go on my recommendations... I won't let an ugly knife leave my shop.

Scale/handle pins.... trying to decide on this, may go strait up stainless steel hardware or I may use some 1/4" stainless steel thong tubes that I then just slightly expand at the throat so they look clean. Or, I can do a Solid pin or other hardware up to 1/4" in Diameter if that is preferred. This can be discussed.

Sheaths as recommended by Jantz:
I have this one on hand KT231 Small Hunter Sheath
These are actually nice sheaths. I used the same style (just the Large version) on the knife I finished early this winter and it's solid and cases and finishes well.
Or this style: KT104 Custom Leather Sheath
I can Dye this a couple colors but think either a Saddle Tan or Chocolate brown would look good. I can also add some border tooling if desired and add an antique finish to bring out the tooling. Sheath will be treated with neatsfoot oil before leaving my door.

So, if interested, please contact me. At this point I don't want any money up front as I have most of the materials in hand, but I would like a solid commitment from someone.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #93 (permalink)
ur my sister

that will be sharp looking when complete

MY FEEDBACK
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

CCM Works Sniper, Thumper, Kingman Hammer Low Pressure with Vertical ASA, TPX, Ion mech/closed bolt
joedirt199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #94 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
that will be sharp looking when complete
That's what I'm going for. I already have the assembly (it's a heck of a lot more than that seeing as it's not a Lego set) planned. I'm going to make sure there aren't any hicups along the way.

E
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #95 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Latest is done. Now to work on the one for my wife.

2014-06-04 07.01.25_resize.jpg

E
Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #96 (permalink)
Perfection will suffice

Nice work!

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #97 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

One left... it will be extra Shiny for Christmas:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/y...-one-left.html
Old 11-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #98 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

This one has been over a year in the making... and most of that has been finding time to work on it. Still needs more sanding, but the shaping is done. This is the small damascus blade for my wife.
Almost_done.jpg

Now some may say.. well what about the Christmas knives? Actually.. the hardest parts are done on those. The other day I fitted and affixed the Stainless false guards, cut the first set of spacers for each knife, cut and drilled the walnut for the handles (which involves a fair amount of filing an fitting) and then mocked things up with the first bit of washers. These are going to look nice.

Tomorrow I'm going to starting gluing those up so that I can shape them Thursday and Friday night and hopefully do the sheaths on Saturday.

Either way, while they may not be done by the time my wife gets back, they will be in the appropriate hands before Christmas.

E

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum