mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Sounds fair to me, I hope to get in touch after the holidays.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
This is the next thing that I will be working on. The first will have the blemished blade (mentioned above), with two brass spacers at the top with red white and blue colored spacers sandwiched between as the "guard". The pommel, will be probably be a 1/8 inch piece of round brass, with a nickle silver tang nut holding it all together. I'm still up in the air on the wood .. I have some stuff on hand, I just want to make sure it's appropriate.

Attachment 36448

If people like these I will do a run of them.

E

EDIT: Sorry the image is so light, my scanner here sucks... My IT guy still can't figure out why the hell it scans so lightly.

I don't know if anyone here would agree, or if you have the ability to do it; but a stacked leather wrap would look absolutely awesome on that knife. The rings reminded me of old Estwing hammers and axes with their stacked wrapped handles, which is a beautiful, classy look IMHO.
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Stacked leather washers are a possibility and I was already thinking of maybe going that route. Just need to see what I have on hand for the first one. I could certainly do a series like that.

The Scandinavians used to stack leather, birch bark, colored bark and leather to make some really beautiful handles.

I can even mix it up and do leather and wood... looks really cool.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

So I found enough lightly figured birds eye maple to make at least 4 knives.... probably twice that if I mix in the leather washers. These would belike the drawing I made. Blade is Japanese steel and is nice. This will come in a cased (read as fitted) leather sheath. I need to price things out and make one and then I will have a better idea on what I will sell them for.

E
Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by danssoslow View Post
I don't know if anyone here would agree, or if you have the ability to do it; but a stacked leather wrap would look absolutely awesome on that knife. The rings reminded me of old Estwing hammers and axes with their stacked wrapped handles, which is a beautiful, classy look IMHO.
I'd agee, the stacked leather look is a timeless classic.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
$400 per 1000

smoke'em if you got'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

One thing I need to get is a jig in order to compress the washers. It sucks having to stand there and compress the suckers down for ten minutes while you wait for the epoxy to set. With washers you almost need to compress them to half their standing width, otherwise they are full of air and won't last under use. I can do them.. and I want to. I was thinking about them on the ride in and I have a neat idea that will look really cool.

I'm finally going to order some materials today and should have something going right around Christmas time so I can share pictures.

And for this one I'm thinking of a strapless sheath (think long deep pocket). I think it will look and work nice.

E
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
What grades of steel can you get blades in? Anything in the AUS 8 or 10 grades or something comparable in stainless? I would be interested in one of the middle knives from the first post, the neck knife or fighting knife style with a wood handle if you can get high grade stainless blanks.
crazyorigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Hit the link for Jantz... what they have is what I can use. I'm not making my own blades yet.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Out of curiosity,

I remember as a child, they used to have a big-deal knife show in New York every year. Do you know if they still do this, and have you attended any of them?
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I don't know.. nor have I attended. I've made it to the Empire State Train show.. which actually is pretty tiny and is meh.

I got into knife making when I got a catalog years ago from jantz. I was on about dozen hobby supply companies mailing lists because I had a subscription Fine Scale Modeler magazine. That was how I found about micromark, small parts and a bunch of other companies too. But I got the jantz catalog and was immediately interested! I took a long break from knife making and got back into it recently.

E

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum